June 2015 Moms
Options

Breast milk for pinkeye?

So, I've heard that breastmilk has magical powers- I'm wondering if I should try it on my son or take him in to the pediatrician for a diagnosis and antibiotic, if needed. He has had a very watery eye for about 24 hours and then this afternoon it became slightly pink and is starting to get some yellow gunk collecting in the corners of his eye. When he was an infant he'd get clogged tear ducts that has the same symptoms so I guess my question is- would it harm him to put a few drops of breast milk in his eyes if he doesn't actually have pinkeye? And if you have experience please share how much/how often/ how long to clear up/can I do it in adults eyes of me or my hubs catch it? Thanks ladies! 

Pic for cuteness!

Re: Breast milk for pinkeye?

• Options
    I don't think it would hurt to use bm, but i would probably take him to the pediatrician instead. My LO had pink eye a few months ago, we got a prescription for some medicated eye drops, and it cleared up really quickly.
  • Options
    swiebe said:
    I don't think it would hurt to use bm, but i would probably take him to the pediatrician instead. My LO had pink eye a few months ago, we got a prescription for some medicated eye drops, and it cleared up really quickly.
    This
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would see the pediatrician.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, breast milk will not help with pink eye. Pink eye is a bacterial infection and needs the drops. (I asked my ped this earlier this year.  :) )
  • Options
    ^ Pink eye can actually be viral or bacterial. We used BM when our son had a similar eye issue and it helped a lot. Just did a drop, maybe every few hours. Can't remember. Cleared up in a couple of days. It can be used for adults too. 
  • Options
    Breast milk is magic!  I would try it first and if it doesn't clear up (or gets worse) in a day or two I'd see the doc.