November 2016 Moms

Dumb Questions - October Edition

Re: Dumb Questions - October Edition

• I need some bra schooling! Do you need sleeping, nursing, wrap, clip-down, etc. etc. bras?
    The bra is the first thing to come off when I get home from anywhere [tmi, sry, haha]—do I have to wear one permanently postpartum?!  :s
    I'm more of a sports bra/no bra type girl myself. I live(d) in the Motherhood sports bra style nursing bras and nursing camis. If you're nursing/pumping, you'll want the clip-down nursing bras. Mostly wore these once I went back to work...when I was home, I typically just wore a nursing cami, sometimes with a wrap sleep bra for slightly more support. I typically wore a wrap-style sleep bra to bed for some support. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I need some bra schooling! Do you need sleeping, nursing, wrap, clip-down, etc. etc. bras?
    The bra is the first thing to come off when I get home from anywhere [tmi, sry, haha]—do I have to wear one permanently postpartum?!  :s
    You will want a regular clip-down bra or two for when you go out in public/to work, but other than that you can just wear a clip-down nursing tank or sleeping/wrap nursing bra at home. Then again, if you're home I guess you don't have to wear a bra at all — it's just what you're comfortable with. I have always preferred to be in a light, comfortable sports bra when I'm home because I like a little support, so the wrap/sleeping nursing bras became my life when I had DS. In fact, they're so comfortable they're still pretty much all I wear even though I stopped BFing DS 6 months ago lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • @atcwag I always thought I was the only one! I am a sports bra or nothing lady as well!

@hoosiermama I found a wrap sleep bra is like wearing nothing so it was what I wore around the house and to bed (DD here, btw) for a little comfort and a potential barrier with leaking because one night you will wake up and there will be wet spots on your shirt and sheets and that's when you realize you're either doing a lot of laundry or need to slap some pads in there.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Why is a nursing tank not good for work? Are they flimsy? Was told to look around dairyfairy brand @mrsmoose5
  • We also don't bathe our kids every day.  2 or 3 times per week is our goal.  It's not good for their skin, we live in Southern California which is a drought area so we don't want to use that much water, and we just don't want to give up that much time in the evenings.  We have dinner all together around 6:15/30 every night, then start bedtime around 7:15/30.

For baths, when our 2nd was a tiny newborn, I just put her in a vibrating chair in the bathroom while bathing the older.  But soon we realized that the plastic baby bathtub sits across the top of the regular bathtub.  So we bathed them at the same time.  That continued until she was big enough to sit up in the regular bath, and we could put her right in the tub with sister.  

As for baby clothes, I hang dresses, sweaters and coats.  Everything else goes in cloth bins on shelves in the closet.  I don't use a dresser until they are older (2 or 3). 

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• As far as nursing bras go, I found I needed to wear something all the time because I had to put those absorbent pads in something to keep from leaking on my tops. During the day I wear the Bravado seamless silk nursing bras. I love them, they come in lots of colors and are super comfortable. At night I would wear one of the jersey wrap type bras that dont really offer any support but at least give you somewhere to put the pads so you dont wake up with breast milk on your sheets. I didn't like the tanks, I guess I just felt at the end of the day that they were a little too revealing for my taste. They always showed a bit more cleavage than I was comfortable with.
  • can someone send me a link to these nighttime wrap bras you are talking about? I'm not really sure what that is 
  • I give my first a bath a few times a week and only gave her a bath as an infant 2 times a week. It can dry out their skin. I read an article that also said bathing often can cause skin issues and also can weaken your child's immune system by removing microbials that build up on the skin that can help build your child immune system. I've also been told by my kids pediatrician it's not the best to bathe everyday. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2015/02/26/why-you-should-stop-giving-your-kid-a-bath-every-night/

If if you are worried about routine setting, you can establish specific days you do bath time or substitute bath time for a baby massage. Honestly, I never really was good at doing the routine thing (still not). My first has turned out fine, by sleeping well and no temper tantrums at bedtime and is very flexible when we do things at night that would throw off the routine (if I had one). The only routine thing we do is a book when tucking into bed. 
  • do you recommend getting a bunch of baby socks or will they just kick them off? Right now I have 2-3 pairs from my shower decorations and then we registered for a 4 pack of sports ball socks. Is that enough? I imagine he will be in footed sleepers a decent amount although I dont have a ton of them, have more onesies/pants sets
  • I'd definitely get more socks @kvruns. On colder days it's nice to even layer them under the footed onesies. And if you think adults socks are easy to lose, baby socks are 1000x easier. 

These are the wrap style sleep nursing bras. 
    https://www.target.com/p/gilligan-o-malley-nursing-sleep-bra-2-pack/-/A-16754657
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh and they definitely do kick the socks off. Or they just fall off. Certain brands stay on better than others. I always had luck with Old Navy socks on my son, but a lot of people like trumpette
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I liked Trumptte, Hanna Anderson and Robeez best for staying on, but it's kind of a crap shoot either way and I used a lot of moccasin-type shoes for DD.

Hanna has some leather soled moccasin socks that are awesome, especially when they are early walkers and you take them somewhere where they need to wear socks (ours we're perfect for her cement-floored daycare). 

Zutano booties are also well reviewed and I never used them last time, but I have a pair for this babe. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why is a nursing tank not good for work? Are they flimsy? Was told to look around dairyfairy brand
    A nursing tank is fine for work, but you will probably want a structured/supportive bra to go under it. All the nursing tanks I have are no different from regular tank tops/camisoles except that they have clips on the straps, so there really isn't any support built in. So when I'm nursing and going out in public, I normally wear a supportive nursing bra, usually with underwire, then a nursing shirt/tank on top and I clip both down when I need to nurse baby. At home I just wear whatever is comfy. 
  • Why is a nursing tank not good for work? Are they flimsy? Was told to look around dairyfairy brand @mrsmoose5

Why is a nursing tank not good for work? Are they flimsy? Was told to look around dairyfairy brand @mrsmoose5
    You mean, in the absence of a bra at all?  Small chested woman may be able to get away with just a tank (depending on what shirt you're wearing overtop) but they're really just a cami with a clip down shelf bra; so no support. Also, no coverage for erect nipples that happen with pumping/nursing. An actual bra hides minimal leaking/nursing pads better as well.            

kvruns said:
    can someone send me a link to these nighttime wrap bras you are talking about? I'm not really sure what that is 
    https://www.target.com/p/gilligan-o-malley-nursing-sleep-bra-2-pack/-/A-16754657                                 I have these. I don't like how far they come up on my neck in the back, but otherwise they're ok.    

kvruns said:
    do you recommend getting a bunch of baby socks or will they just kick them off? Right now I have 2-3 pairs from my shower decorations and then we registered for a 4 pack of sports ball socks. Is that enough? I imagine he will be in footed sleepers a decent amount although I dont have a ton of them, have more onesies/pants sets
    I'm pretty much planning to avoid infant socks this time. They never stay on and baby was in footed sleepers 90% of the time anyway.                             

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lenacoilbovlenacoilbov member
    edited October 2016
    Thank you all for your advice on hanging clothes! Got a couple more random questions...

Are any of you actually doing kegels?? I'm terrible with doing them, and any other kind of exercise. At 33 weeks and my snissing woes have gotten so frequent! Anyone else?? Is all hope lost until baby is out?

Humidifiers...do you need one? I feel like I need to buy all the necessities in advance because I have this irrational fear that otherwise I won't afford it later when he's born...but then there's so many things, like humidifiers, that I don't 100% know are necessary, even with researching! 
  • Never needed a humidifier. I could never get away from the idea that it was one more thing I would need to clean, so we just did without and honestly, never missed it. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lenacoilbov I have only used one when my kids are sick I don't feel it's necessary in the beginning. 
  • Thank you all for your advice on hanging clothes! Got a couple more random questions...

Are any of you actually doing kegels?? I'm terrible with doing them, and any other kind of exercise. At 33 weeks and my snissing woes have gotten so frequent! Anyone else?? Is all hope lost until baby is out?

I do them while watching tv at night, I'm not the most consistent but I'd say I do some 5-6 days out of the week. I'm sure not as often as I'm supposed to but I figure something is better than nothing
  • do I need to buy a travel wipes container or one of those plastic ones or am I ok with just the refill packs you can buy in bulk? 

as in, is this ok: https://www.target.com/p/baby-wipes-refill-pack-unscented-800-ct-up/-/A-14893053

or do I first need to buy this so there is a place to put the wipes: https://www.target.com/p/huggies-natural-care-baby-wipes-unscented-64-ct/-/A-14376316 
  • Thank you all for your advice on hanging clothes! Got a couple more random questions...

Humidifiers...do you need one? I feel like I need to buy all the necessities in advance because I have this irrational fear that otherwise I won't afford it later when he's born...but then there's so many things, like humidifiers, that I don't 100% know are necessary, even with researching! 
    Does it count to be "doing kegels" right now bc you mentioned it? Otherwise, I haven't, but I don't have any pelvic floor issues either. I definitely would put them on my regular "to-do" if I did. 

We used a humidifier with DS because he was a fall/winter baby as well and the air in our house is very dry. Likely will do the same with this baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    do I need to buy a travel wipes container or one of those plastic ones or am I ok with just the refill packs you can buy in bulk? 

as in, is this ok: https://www.target.com/p/baby-wipes-refill-pack-unscented-800-ct-up/-/A-14893053

or do I first need to buy this so there is a place to put the wipes: https://www.target.com/p/huggies-natural-care-baby-wipes-unscented-64-ct/-/A-14376316 
    I would buy one of the plastic tubs for changing baby at home. Those refill packs can be hard to get the wipes out with one hand sometimes..and with poopy diapers, you often need the other hand to hold baby's legs out of the mess. Then you're good to buy the refill packs. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When should I put the car seat in the car? I'm only 33 weeks and feel like it is a little soon
  • @kvruns

You will need a plastic container for holding the wipes. Sometimes the big packs of wipes come with some. I just bought two smaller ones (the decorative ones from Huggies) - one for the changing table and one for my diaper station in the living room.

You'll also need a little holder for the diaper bag. My skip hop Pronto came with a plastic one, but I also like the bag-like ones from Huggies. They used to come in the Costco pack of wipes, but you can also buy just one at Target or wherever. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker

• sarac986 said:
    When should I put the car seat in the car? I'm only 33 weeks and feel like it is a little soon
    Are you doing it or having it installed by someone? I highly recommend having someone do it unless you are confident you know how.

The safety center at my hospital (a children's hospital) does installs and I have used them for many installs (new cars, new seats, etc) because they do it properly and give great education.

however, it is easy to install a seat when you know what you are doing and we're Probably installing ours this week - 37 ish weeks. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsbigtime thanks! I do have a little plastic one I registered for that someone bought; I wasn't really sure if it was necessary but it sounds like it is so I will definitely keep it. I've purchased one big box of wipes refills (Pampers sensitive) and it didn't come with any big tubs so I'll just add one or two to the registry so I can get a discount whenever Target finally sends me a coupon

• sarac986 said:
    When should I put the car seat in the car? I'm only 33 weeks and feel like it is a little soon
    Are you doing it or having it installed by someone? I highly recommend having someone do it unless you are confident you know how.

The safety center at my hospital (a children's hospital) does installs and I have used them for many installs (new cars, new seats, etc) because they do it properly and give great education.

however, it is easy to install a seat when you know what you are doing and we're Probably installing ours this week - 37 ish weeks. 

I would like to add that no one should install the car seat for you. You should be the last one to touch the seat and they should guide you in a proper install. You never know when you'll need to do it yourself. You want to find a CPST - ask for their certification card. Surprisingly, many hospitals, police/fire stations, etc. have technicians, but they aren't CPST certified and their knowledge is limited, out of date, etc. 
    Because we're familiar with our seat, we probably won't install until 38/39 weeks or maybe hubby will do it while I'm in the hospital. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • atcwag said:

sarac986 said:

I would like to add that no one should install the car seat for you. You should be the last one to touch the seat and they should guide you in a proper install. You never know when you'll need to do it yourself. You want to find a CPST - ask for their certification card. Surprisingly, many hospitals, police/fire stations, etc. have technicians, but they aren't CPST certified and their knowledge is limited, out of date, etc. 
    Because we're familiar with our seat, we probably won't install until 38/39 weeks or maybe hubby will do it while I'm in the hospital. 
    Yes also if you read the directions and maybe watch a video, it's pretty easy. The car seat companies want it to be easy. It just doesn't make sense that it is done impossible task. If you follow the directions and it is still sliding around it something, get help, but there's no reason to start out feeling helpless and defeated.
  • Once the cord falls off I think it depends on your baby's skin. I did a full on bath maybe every 3 nights at first then went to every other night then every night after four months or so. It was December so I didn't want to dry out her skin and I just used Mustela (sp?) wipes in between baths. Obviously if there was a diaper explosion she would get a bath asap. They smell so good naturally they don't need everyday but now for sure a bath is a part of her night time ritual. 
  • sarac986 said:
    You should put the car seat in the car yourself and get it checked by your local fire department. When you do the check they will have you make the adjustments and they want you to put it in before the appointment. We put ours in at 36 weeks, only because our first came at 36 1/2 unexpectedly. 
  • camcbeth said:
    sarac986 said:
    You should put the car seat in the car yourself and get it checked by your local fire department. When you do the check they will have you make the adjustments and they want you to put it in before the appointment. We put ours in at 36 weeks, only because our first came at 36 1/2 unexpectedly. 
    I agree. You should be the one to install it. And then have it checked by local services. Around here that's the police station and hospital (you have to make an appointment). You need to be familiar and comfortable with how to take it in and out of the car if needed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • camcbeth said:
    sarac986 said:
    camcbeth said:
    sarac986 said:
    I agree. You should be the one to install it. And then have it checked by local services. Around here that's the police station and hospital (you have to make an appointment). You need to be familiar and comfortable with how to take it in and out of the car if needed.
    Again, even if a local agency claims to have a "car seat technician", many are not certified, don't have proper training, etc. ALWAYS ask if they are a CPST and verify by seeing their certification card. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do diapers have the sizes written on them? my friend just brought me a super cute diaper cake she made and then gave me the extra leftover diapers too. She said she thought they were size 1 but couldn't remember. Will they have a 1 on them or an N for size? 
  • @kvruns they should have sizes on them. pampers will for sure, not 100% about other brands.
  • thanks @rspalding001 these are pampers. She gave me the bag of extras so I'll take one out and see if I can find it. The diaper cake is so adorable I don't want to take it apart 
  • @kvrruns The size should be front and center in a circle. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • sarac986 said:
    I did it at 34 weeks. 
  • edited October 2016
    sarac986 said:
    I did it at 34 weeks. 

@ashleymercado88I installed the base at 33 weeks :)

Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• FTM Question: I bought a nipple shield to pack in my hospital bag, but the packaging says not to use without professional supervision, and not to use long term.... I've heard such good things about them protecting from chafing and blistering, and helping with babies who have poor latch etc., is there a downside or risk to them that I'm not aware of?
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• @PrettyPalomino shields in my experience are only used as an aid when baby is having difficulty latching normally due to something like an inverted nipple (there are other reasons as well). You really shouldn't use them at all if baby can nurse normally and I'd let a lactation consultant be the one to tell you if it's time to try a shield or not before just diving into using one. There will always be an adjustment period in the beginning as you and your baby figure out how to breastfeed but it doesn't mean you need a shield. Because they are not intended for long term use you eventually need to transition away from them anyway and that can be difficult if baby has become accustomed to nursing with only the shield. If you are just worried about chafing keep some lanolin or nipple cream around and remember that those types of issues usually resolve themselves once baby has figured out how to latch and nurse properly.   
  • This is more of a FTM question than a Dumb Question but I can't decide if I want to just buy out the rest of the items on the registry after my work shower next week or wait a while. There's nothing on there we have to have, though there are a couple items I'd like to have. But I feel like if I'm using a coupon I want to buy everything "just in case" or be mad that I go back and buy stuff 2 month later sans coupon. We still have a lot of stuff on the registries and work showers are usually a big gift card with a few small presents from those you are closer too so I imagine I will be buying a lot from the registries myself.