November 2016 Moms

Dumb Questions - October Edition

Re: Dumb Questions - October Edition

• How do you do bath time with two kids before you can pop them in together? 

DH will get a while off work, but when he does go back, I'll be on night-duty alone. I'm assuming you just put baby in a bouncer or something and bathe the big kiddo. 

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you more seasoned mama's have any little tips and tricks that somehow magically make your two
    hands seem like 3

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's pretty much what I did. Or I'd do bath time for my oldest when baby was sleeping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you guys gotten ur completion discounts yet? I called bru and they said 6-8wks before ur due date. What about buybuybaby? 
    I must be feeling need to nest bc I want to get everything now - and I just saw bbb has the uppabay stroller I want and pregnancy is making me cheap and I want my discount....so long story short, I intend to create another registry timed for the completion discount benefit :) 
  • Question: how many bottles do you recommend getting? I'm going to try to exclusively breastfeed for the first 4 weeks but I bought two sets of bottles. I think I have 4 or 5 of the smaller size and maybe 1 less of the 8 oz size.
  • Question: how many bottles do you recommend getting? I'm going to try to exclusively breastfeed for the first 4 weeks but I bought two sets of bottles. I think I have 4 or 5 of the smaller size and maybe 1 less of the 8 oz size.
    I had 6, 5 ounce bottles and worked 3, 14 hour days a week. It was plenty but I nursed nearly exclusively while I was home. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Current mommas: how long did you exclusively breastfeed? I have a pretty generous maternity leave, but wondering what's "normal" or what to expect—assuming my milk comes in and I'm good to go. Thank you! :) 
  • Have you guys gotten ur completion discounts yet? I called bru and they said 6-8wks before ur due date. What about buybuybaby? 
    I must be feeling need to nest bc I want to get everything now - and I just saw bbb has the uppabay stroller I want and pregnancy is making me cheap and I want my discount....so long story short, I intend to create another registry timed for the completion discount benefit :) 
    I got BRU and BBB completion coupons last month - I'm due Nov 18. 
  • MrsBigTimeMrsBigTime member
    edited October 2016
    Current mommas: how long did you exclusively breastfeed? I have a pretty generous maternity leave, but wondering what's "normal" or what to expect—assuming my milk comes in and I'm good to go. Thank you! :) 
    We exclusively breast fed from day one, and introduced a bottle at 5 weeks. We casually did a bottle 1-2 times a week until I went back to work, where she received exclusively pumped BM for 6 months while I was working.  
    We slowly introduced solids around 6 months but still nursed primarily when I was home. 

We added a bit of almond milk into her BM bottles around 11 months to help stretch my meager pumped supply, but continued nursing. Nursing itself was never an issue for me, I just wasn't a very responsive pumper. 

I stopped pumping at 13 months and continued to nurse as needed until we weaned on her 2nd birthday. 

Is that what you were asking? If I went too much into it, I apologize! We were so lucky to have a great breastfeeding relationship and I pray that this little one and I can have the same!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Current mommas: how long did you exclusively breastfeed? I have a pretty generous maternity leave, but wondering what's "normal" or what to expect—assuming my milk comes in and I'm good to go. Thank you! :) 
    I exclusively breastfed until 6 months when we started introducing solids. Breastfed until LO was a 27 months. 

Since having LO I've been a stay-at-home-mom.
    We used 12 5oz bottles - 3 to send to daycare and 6 for me to pump each day and 3 extra to avoid constant washing. But you'll need larger bottles for formula feeding.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

We exclusively breast fed from day one, and introduced a bottle at 5 weeks. We casually did a bottle 1-2 times a week until I went back to work, where she received exclusively pumped BM for 6 months while I was working.  
    We slowly introduced solids around 6 months but still nursed primarily when I was home. 

We added a bit of almond milk into her BM bottles around 11 months to help stretch my meager pumped supply, but continued nursing. Nursing itself was never an issue for me, I just wasn't a very responsive pumper. 

I stopped pumping at 13 months and continued to nurse as needed until we weaned on her 2nd birthday. 

Is that what you were asking? If I went too much into it, I apologize! We were so lucky to have a great breastfeeding relationship and I pray that this little one and I can have the same!
    I was going to chime in with pretty much this exact same thing... I BF for 6 weeks. We then did about one bottle a day and I started pumping during that time. Once I was back to work (12 weeks), DD took breast milk via bottle during the day and straight from me at night until she was 5 months when she started doing a little bit of solids. But she only drank breastmilk for the first 12 months and then we started mixing regular milk and I stopped with BF entirely at like 13.5/14 months.

BUT @hoosiermama you asked what's "normal" and the answer is: there isn't one. Some women struggle to produce and continue to persist, some women produce no problem and opt out with weeks and others choose not to at all and the situations continue to vary far and wide - just don't pressure yourself to come to a set plan until you're in it and know what works and what doesn't. Good luck!
  • Which baby clothes are you hanging up, and which are going in the dresser? 
    I didnt wean DD until this May when she was 2.5yo... So we EBF and started BLW  (baby-led weaning - let LO introduce themselves to solids instead of doing purees) at 6 months... She was eating everything we ate, 3 meals a day, and snacks by 9 months... And nursing on demand til we fully weaned in May, though by then it was only for bed or when she was sick/upset.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
    With DS, everything went into dressers except for outerwear. Probably will keep it consistent this time around. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Exclusively nursed until 4 weeks when we introduced a bottle in anticipation of me returning to work @ 12 weeks. Gave 1 bottle a day(ish) that daddy fed and I pumped. Nursed/bottle fed BM until about 8 months and started solids 1 time/day or EOD (tried at 6 months but refused) using BLW mostly. Had BM exclusive of any other milk source until 22 months (I pumped until 15/16 months and had a large freezer stash) and weaned from nursing @ 2.5. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    I wouldn't get anymore until the LO arrives. Babies can be very picky about their bottles and want a certain type. Wait until they decide if they like the brand(s) you got, then see if you need more or if you need another brand.
    Unless it's a special occasion fancy number, they all go in the dresser for me... I forget they're there otherwise.
    so far I've just hung up the "little man" outfits as I call them, so the special dressy items and everything else is in a drawer for now. But we don't have much drawer space so it might change. H really wants to hang everything because he says he won't be able to find anything in the drawers but I have it arranged by size in drawers so it's like ummm open 0-3 month drawer, pull out onesie, pants and voila you are set. 

• I decided to put sleepers for his current size in drawers. Then his pants that fit in another. The rest of his drawers are clothes that are too big and sorted by size. In the closet I have his jeans and all onesies sorted by size so it's easy for DH to dress. 
  • I think the hanging up q will depend on gender of baby. Some of our baby clothes shipped with velvet hangers but I just can't imagine wanting to do that with boy's overalls. Our closets are for suits and dresses, baby will get the dressers
  • I hung my baby's dresses, one-pieces, and sweaters. Anything that I'd consider nicer than an at-home outfit. Footie pjs, onesies, leggings, pants in the drawers. 

I also hung all three pairs of her overalls. Bought kids' slim fuzzy hangers from Amazon Basics very inexpensively. 
  • RE breastfeeding: I breast fed exclusively until DD went to day care at 4 months and then we transitioned to breast milk bottles during the day and breast feeding in the mornings and at night until around 10 months when she stopped nursing at night on her own. Without the night nursing my supply went way down and I eventually stopped pumping during the day and transitioned to formula until she turned 1 then transitioned to cows milk.

RE bottles: breastfed babies will tend to drink less in volume than formula fed babies, so we never needed more than the 4 oz bottles until we transitioned to cows milk at 1 year then we got a few 8 oz bottles. I agree with others that you should hold off buying too many because breast fed babies in particular can be picky about the kind of bottle they will drink from and you dont want to waste your money.

RE clothes: We hang all onesies and shirts and dresses for 2 size ranges (nb and 0-3 for example) and stash the larger sizes for later. We fold pants and throw socks and hats and gloves in a bin.

DH will get a while off work, but when he does go back, I'll be on night-duty alone. I'm assuming you just put baby in a bouncer or something and bathe the big kiddo. 

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you more seasoned mama's have any little tips and tricks that somehow magically make your two
    hands seem like 3
    Pretty much and depending your kids sleep schedule sometimes you can get away with bathing LO first put her down then your older one(that's what I did for the first 4-5months) 
  • how often do you give a kid a bath? I have no idea  :(
  • kvruns said:
    how often do you give a kid a bath? I have no idea  :(
    Lol :) I made it a nightly thing after the umbilical cord fell off it helped us establish a routine and relaxed my LO at night. 
  • For bath times we also did maybe three times a week after the umbilical cord fell off for the first few months. After that we started doing nightly baths but we only used warm water most nights and soap maybe twice a week to keep DDs skin from drying out unnecessarily. 
  • kvruns said:
    Lol :) I made it a nightly thing after the umbilical cord fell off it helped us establish a routine and relaxed my LO at night. 
    This. We did every other night when the umbilical word was on and afterwards every night for the routine and calming... but also because neck cheese is disgusting and my hyper smell wouldn't let me get past it.

hands seem li

In the box:   I would just wash the little one first and leave the big one in the tub while I got the little one dressed.  Put the little one down and then do the bigger one.   Send the bigger one out to get dried off and dressed and shower me!  Now I shower them both and it works simililarily.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • kvruns said:
    We didn't want a long night time routine so I bath my kids 3 ish times a week.   With my first it was more like 2ish times a week because well, she didn't get dirty and it was awkward.   We sometimes (I'm not sure right away but certainly quite young) when my husband would have a shower in the morning she would go in with him to get washed off and then I would get her dressed.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • I nursed exclusively until about 5 - 5.5 months and weaned both my daughters at 13 months.  I'm a SAHM.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
    Hanging baby clothes? Why?
  • whaat said:
    Which baby clothes are you hanging up, and which are going in the dresser? 
    I plan on hanging some of the clothes because it's easier to see them all. The nursery has a good size closet. We're also using the dresser for things like diapers, burp cloths, blankets, etc.
  • ash111916 said:
    whaat said:
    Which baby clothes are you hanging up, and which are going in the dresser? 
    I plan on hanging some of the clothes because it's easier to see them all. The nursery has a good size closet. We're also using the dresser for things like diapers, burp cloths, blankets, etc.
    Same. + way easier to pull something off a hanger than rifle through a drawer for a specific item.
  • We hung my daughters clothes because i needed most of the dresser for storage. We hung all shirts and dresses and then onsies, sleepers and pants in drawers. This time around we have plenty of space so i wont be hanging any of his. 

For breastfeeding you just have to roll with it. Yeah have a goal but the baby may have a completely different idea. We had supply issues and tongue tie issues but we pushed through. She refused to eat from me starting around 6 months and i exclusively pumped for about 2 months. It became too much for me and i had to admit that i was unhappy with exclusively pumping and we found a formula that we were comfortable with (earths best organic). None of this was my plan. im trying not to let that effect this time. New baby, new goals.

Bottles and pacifiers - Don't take them all out right after your shower and sterilize them. I did this with all the pacifiers...she refused every single one and i had to go and find a special tommie tippy one that she finally would take. Same with bottles. My friend had to go through at least 4 brands before she found one her daughter would use. Start with 1 and go from there. As long as its on your registry you have a decent amount of time to return things and get what works. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I put all clothes in the dresser, except nice holiday clothes and I hung the next size up so I could easily see if I needed anything to fill in the blanks. For expample, DS1 was always a size or two ahead so I never knew what I would need until he was starting to need them. Sometimes I needed to get more of something like shorts or winter pjs. He's now 3 and moving into size 5 clothes and I still use this method. 

As as far as bathing, DS was born beginning of fall so he only got bathed a couple times a week. He didn't get very messy and their skin is so sensitive to moisture loss that it's not really necessary. We started the nightly routine when he could sit by himself and he could be bathed with his brother. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

hands seem like 3
    When the other one is sleeping. And I would bathe the least likely to get dirty kid first...earlier in the day, so it doesn't feel like you are rushing at bedtime.
  • I need some bra schooling! Do you need sleeping, nursing, wrap, clip-down, etc. etc. bras?
    The bra is the first thing to come off when I get home from anywhere [tmi, sry, haha]—do I have to wear one permanently postpartum?!  :s
  • kvruns said:
    This. We did every other night when the umbilical word was on and afterwards every night for the routine and calming... but also because neck cheese is disgusting and my hyper smell wouldn't let me get past it.
    Yes I'm one of those people who makes my kids (they are 10,8 &5) shower daily sometimes twice a day depending on what has gone on. It was established when they were infants I'm weird about going to bed dirty so never wanted them to... And yes the neck cheese can get pretty bad lol! 
  • kvruns said:
    Daily baths are actually not great for baby's skin. With DS being a fall/winter baby, we bathed MAYBE every 2-3 days. Even now at 2.5, it's not everyday. Maybe I just don't have a stinky kid....yet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker