April 2016 Moms
Options

Solid Foods = Diaper Rash?

I noticed my baby has been getting diaper rashes since we started solid food. So far I've given her Beech Nut brand sweet potatoes, pears (I think this is the culprit), and pumpkin. She eats about 1oz a day.

I'm wondering if anyone is going through/went through this too, and which baby food fruits and veggies were the worst offenders for your baby?

Also, I don't let her sit in dirty diapers, if I can help it. The only time she's in a wet diaper (not poopy) longer than I like is at night, when we're sleeping. But I always slather a good layer of diaper cream on her little butt before bed as protection.

I use Burt's Bees diaper cream as a barrier, and Aquafor to heal rashes. They're ok, but I'd like to hear other suggestions on what to use to keep / heal diaper rashes. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Solid Foods = Diaper Rash?

• Options
    DD has a red butt too...we have just given her a small amount of solid food so I'm not sure if that is culprit or if it's because of teething.  She has been pooping like crazy...:/
  • Options
    I like Balmex, though I think diaper rash cream is a "ask 50 different people, get 50 different answers" type question for some reason. It could definitely be the start of solids. You may also try jumping up a size in diapers to get a little more ventilation, if you haven't done so recently. Sometimes a diaper size that's about ready to be outgrown can start causing more rashes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has a red butt too...we have just given her a small amount of solid food so I'm not sure if that is culprit or if it's because of teething.  She has been pooping like crazy...:/
    I've experienced some diaper rash this past 3 weeks but I was sure it's because we've been using disposables instead of cloth. I've also noticed that LO has gone from one poo every couple of days to 2 or 3 a day?! We've only had a grand total of 2 tablespoons over a week to play with so I'm also wondering what it could be.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No advice about solids causing diaper rashes that we have experienced so far but L had a diaper rash when she was about 3 weeks old and we put Aveeno Diaper Cream on it and use it as a protection cream and she hasn't had a trace of a diaper rash since. Definitely agree with with @Missingchampagne that everyone probably has a different opinion on the cream but also that going up a sizd
    of diaper especially at night definitely helps! 
  • Options
    We haven't had any rash issues due to solids, but we have only tried bites of food here and there. It's not an everyday thing just yet. We use cloth diapers (flats and covers) and I always slather on a good layer of Aquaphor at night before I put her in her crib. If we have a rash show up I use Calmoseptine (the NICU nurses swore by it) and it's almost always cleared up within 24 hours. 
  • Options
    We haven't had any rash issues due to solids, but we have only tried bites of food here and there. It's not an everyday thing just yet. We use cloth diapers (flats and covers) and I always slather on a good layer of Aquaphor at night before I put her in her crib. If we have a rash show up I use Calmoseptine (the NICU nurses swore by it) and it's almost always cleared up within 24 hours. 
    You use aquaphor with cloth? We just started using la petite creme and haven't any any rashes or redness at all.
  • Options
    Update: I stopped giving her all solid foods, and she hasn't had a rash since. 

We're in no rush to get her eating solid foods, so I think we'll hold off giving it to her again for a little while. 

The good thing is, when we start solids again, I now know to look out for a rash, and see which food might be causing it. 

Thanks everyone for for the butt cream suggestions  :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    You use aquaphor with cloth? We just started using la petite creme and haven't any any rashes or redness at all.
    Yep, I do the big bad no no and use aquaphor with cloth, BUT I use GMD birdseye flats. I've been using aquaphor on her for almost 2 months now and all of my diapers are just as absorbent today as they were the first day that I put them on her. If I were to use pockets, AIO's AI2's or even the muslin flats, aquaphor wouldn't touch her butt! The birdseye flats are cheap and easy to replace for us so even if I have to buy all new it won't kill me financially. 
  • Options
    Pears is our culprit!