April 2016 Moms

Pacifier use

when do you plan on weaning your child off of the pacifier (if you're using one)? 

Re: Pacifier use

• My LO uses his pacifier to help him go to sleep.  Then he ends up spitting it out while he's asleep.  At 6 months I'm not too concerned with his use of it.  I think I'm just going to play off him and go by what he wants, especially since he's not using it all day every day.
  • We'll likely do the same thing we did with our daughter.  After 1 it was only in the crib and used for sleep (unless she was super sick).  A little after two (maybe 2.5) we told her if she threw it away she could get a big girl toy.  She threw it in the dumpster and we took her to toys r us and let her pick out her own toy.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Our rule is (and has been since the beginning) crib only and only for going to sleep. I'm not sure when we will take it away completely. Probably not for at least a few more months. If LO starts to become too dependent on it, we will take it away sooner rather than later (and replace with a lovey of some kind). 
  • My LO was never interested once he discovered his fist.
  • With our first two, they were allowed to have it in their beds (and at church to keep them quiet) until 2/2.5 yrs. DD1 bit one in half when she was teething with her 2 yr molars and that was the end of it. It wasn't as easy with DS1, but it wasn't horrible either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both of mine are thumb suckers. I have no idea how to break this habit, since I cant tell DS1 to throw away his thumb, like you can a paci. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Both of mine are thumb suckers. I have no idea how to break this habit, since I cant tell DS1 to throw away his thumb, like you can a paci. 
    Sometimes I wish mine were thumb suckers, because it is so darn hard to get rid of those binkies. It was easy with my first. But DD2 just turned 3 and I'm still trying to get it away. She only gets it at night though. We just can't seem to break the habit. Plus it doesn't help that she sees DD3 with hers. 
  • Weaning from the paci was a total non-issue with DD1. She tapered off use on her own, and we slowly stashed them away until they were gone and she didn't really ask about them after that. 

DD2 hates the paci. Much though I have tried to encourage it for sleeping, she just isn't interested.
    kids with flags
  • The recommendation from oral facial myologists is 5-6 months. 
  • AK118 said:
    The recommendation from oral facial myologists is 5-6 months. 
    Oh my. I can't imagine taking it away from my 6 month old. She's addicted. Bedtime would be torture without it :-(