April 2016 Moms

Nebulizer Treatments (Tips & Info)

Yesterday, I took my son to the doctor for a wellness check since he's been showing cold-like symptoms since Friday night.The doctor told me that LO would need a nebulizer.  :(

On a positive note, I got a free one with my insurance right there in the office. 

Right now, he's on half a dose/tube of albuterol 3 times a day for 7-10 days. The first time he was on it (last night), he screamed bloody murder. I tried again for his morning treatment today and he was swatting the mask like a fly.

Can anyone provide any tips on getting baby to stay calm during the treatments? 
Thanks! :) 

Re: Nebulizer Treatments (Tips & Info)

• I have zero experience with this so I'm just stabbing the dark, but can you swaddle him to keep his hands out of the way? 
  • LO has been breaking free since around 6 weeks. We haven't swaddled him since.
    I can try it...but I doubt that he'll stay in there. 
    I've tried talking/singing to him so that he can look at my face and not focus on the mask....he's just not having it.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS1 didnt start to need treatments until he was closer to 12months. But I would have H told him down and I would dance like a crazy fool to distract him. I would also remind him that it was scary but didnt hurt. 

On one positive note, if they are screaming, they are breathing hard. And those deep breathes will help the treatment finish faster. So silver lining?

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS1 didnt start to need treatments until he was closer to 12months. But I would have H told him down and I would dance like a crazy fool to distract him. I would also remind him that it was scary but didnt hurt. 

On one positive note, if they are screaming, they are breathing hard. And those deep breathes will help the treatment finish faster. So silver lining?
    I was told the total opposite. I was told that being upset prevents him from receiving all of the medicine properly. IDK. I'm confused... :/
  • I know it's loud, but can you wait for him to be in a really deep sleep and just hold the mask on him? Maybe try to get him to fall asleep with other loud sounds in the room even, so one more won't bug him, and just kinda do the treatment for him while he's not even aware.
  • Definitely get more of the medicine when calm as opposed to screaming! Unfortunately it's just kind of the age, maybe try putting on a show or music to distract. Sometimes it does take two one to hold hands away and the other to hold the mask on 
  • I hope it gets better. Good luck! 
  • In my experience giving nebulizer treatments to kids who don't like the mask is try using the chamber shaft instead. It looks like a wide tube. Basically you just chance their mouth around but it doesn't touch their face so it's not as scary. 
    Either way is going to be hard at this age and the steroids get them all hyped up on top of being pissed about the mask. Sorry you guys are dealing with it!
  • Thanks everyone!

Daniel Tiger did the trick. LO sat and actually laughed while the episode was on. He was still enough for me to put the mask on this morning.

I know some may disagree on the whole TV thing but hey, whatever works! 

LO also had a follow up this morning. Pediatrician says he can go to 1 treatment per day now since he is improving. Yay!  :)