May 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Advice for Newbs

I'm 28, but I'm the second of my friends and the first since MY mom in my family to have a baby, so as a first time mom I'd love some words of wisdom from those of you who have been to the rodeo before. 

What was your favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item?

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?) 

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time?

(PS: anyone else super bored this Saturday night?)

Re: GTKY: Advice for Newbs

• Options
    We LOVED our rock-n-play! DS slept in it until at least 5 months and probably napped in it for a little longer than that. I thought the swaddle sleepers with the velcro were going to be so convenient - none of that wrapping that a plain blanket requires. Turns out, he didn't like his arms to be swaddled. He could never calm down unless they were out, so we ended up doing a 'half-swaddle' technique right under his arms. All that to say... those velcro swaddlers didn't do us a bit of good! 

For equipment etc... our favorite store is Buy Buy Baby! It beats Babies-R-Us for us on many levels. Now that I'm in the groove (DS is 10 months old), we use Target brand diapers, wipes, and formula. It is very hard to beat their per/diaper price, and they have deals often. 

I think I would try to keep DS awake a lot when he first came home. I was thinking about older babies and how they need to be awake for a while to nap well. Turns out... little babies sleep A LOT. I think if I had chilled out and let him rest when he needed to, everyone would have been happier! 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I am loving this new thread, good idea! I really want the inside scoop on all the must have baby gear...every where I look tends to be different
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 thanks for starting this! Totally following as I feel a little slow when it comes to all this! 
  • Options
    Favorite baby item: a baby swing and some sort of baby carrier. We used the baby k'tan until around 6 months then switched to a tula. 
    Least useful baby item: our boppy/nursing pillow we only used a couple times when young family members wanted to hold my DD. I would also say the crib haha but I have high hopes this next one will use it!
    Favorite baby store is buy buy baby, but really just target. We always buy diapers at target. They always have some sort of gift card deal. And we eventually switched to their brand of diapers. I avoid babies r us like the plague. I'm always disappointed when I go. 
    This time around I know that I can say no. I felt like my first pregnancy/birth I was afraid of offending people so I did what they wanted. Let them visit when they wanted. Treat my kid how they wanted. This time around I will be living off the word NO!
  • Options
    Oh a great website is Lucies List www.lucieslist.com she breaks down all of the baby gear from diapers, to car seats. I found it very helpful! 
  • Options
    @Jkp7749 off topic but I bargain with my H all the time! He really prefers to sleep alone (he's a really light sleeper and tend to snore a bit) and we have a really comfy guest bed that I don't mind sleeping in. But I act like I hate it. So if I really want him to get me something, I agree to sleep in the other bedroom and he almost always does it!
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816  that's hilarious! I wish I had a go to like that that I know would work... we make random deals all the time but they're usually different. 
  • Options
    These are such great tips! Looks like Target and Amazon are the clear winners. I tend to be a shop online kind of girl - I'd honestly rather buy a bunch of stuff online and then return it than have to -- gasp -- go to the actual store to begin with. But baby stuff seems different. Did you guys test drive stuff in person before registering for it/buying it?
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item?
       Agree with @bacorrea, @emilyalso, @Jellybeanqueen13, @vrj0522: The Rock-n-play, for sure! I had never heard of it until my cousin mentioned it so we put it on the registry. Sooo happy to have received it. My LO ended up having baby-acid-reflux so the inclined sleeping position was a sanity-saver. Everyone slept more comfortably! @Jkp7749 Hopefully having a "true" bassinet/cosleeper will work better for you this time around.  ;-)

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?)
       Another vote for Target. @doxiemoxie212  BRU's website continues to shock me at how poorly it's designed. Every few months I'll check it for the price of something, etc., and it's search function pretty much stinks.

We went the cloth diaper route and am really happy to have done so. I've kept a lot of them. It took us like 6 or 8 weeks before we dove into using them at first, so this time, I'd not hesitate, now that we're more familiar with using them. And for newborn messes, it's really not a horrible thing to use cloth. Only once solid foods start...

@bacorrea you're so right about one-handed food, that's a great point! I LIVED off of granola bars for a while there. I should start stocking up... And speaking of food, I'd definitely try harder this time to do more cooking ahead of time and freezing meals because there's nothing better than throwing a pan of food into the oven/microwave and having delicious home-cooked food for the next 3 days. I think I froze only 4 or 5 meals last time and they were gone super quick. Maybe I should buy a huge chest freezer and fill it up...
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item:
    We loved the RNP, Ergo, swaddle wraps/pods and Happiest Baby on the Block. We hated the Mamaroo. It's always interesting to hear what things some ppl hate and others loved. We bf'd, but a bottle warmer was the reason DD would take a bottle from my husband. Others hate bottle warmers. 

Favorite stores: Amazon and Target. When we switched to Huggies at about a year, I think they are the cheapest at Costco. 

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time? You will eventually get through each phase. When the baby is waking hourly through the night, it won't last forever. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    These are such great tips! Looks like Target and Amazon are the clear winners. I tend to be a shop online kind of girl - I'd honestly rather buy a bunch of stuff online and then return it than have to -- gasp -- go to the actual store to begin with. But baby stuff seems different. Did you guys test drive stuff in person before registering for it/buying it?
    Yes @doxiemoxie212. I liked going to BuyBuyBaby to get my hands on the items and pick the sales rep's brains. Then I'd go on Amazon, read some reviews and register for/purchase that way! After baby gets here, for the first weeks to months, the last thing you want to do is HAVE to go to the store when Amazon can deliver it right to your door!!! 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    It is so interesting to see what you guys have loved/hated!  The pack n play is a Godsend for us with the second baby, so she doesn't disturb big sister during naps (they sleep in the same room, but have slightly different overlapping nap times.) But, the rock n play they both hated!!  And, I used the Bumbo a lot with both girls, and older daughter (2.5) still loves to sit in it to read to herself! (My girls are long, and sadly never have gotten that adorable baby chub!).  I think some of these items are perfect for some babies and not others! Weird. 
  • Options
    Favorites:
     - Baby carrier (stretchy wrap at first, then an Ergo - which we *still* use for our 3 yo)
     - Swaddle blankets (they don't have to be expensive, but the thin muslin ones are awesome for covering baby (while in the bucket seat), swaddling (if your baby likes that sort of thing)
     - Sleep gowns (no snaps to fiddle with at 3 am! I'm with @vrj0522 on this one)
     - Rock 'n Play - nice place to put baby (until he/she rolls!), folds up compact (we were in a little apartment for DD)
    Least favorite:
     - Arms Reach co-sleeper: only because our little one wouldn't tolerate sleeping anywhere but right next to a warm body for the first 8 months of her life; many people love this item
     - Velcro swaddle sacks: only because our LO hated being swaddled ...
     - Swaddle diaper changing pad cover: see above

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at?  
    Agree with nearly everyone - Target is my favorite - it has the basics, and usually has the best price. And I can get 3,000 other things I do/don't need at the same time. 

Broken record as PP have said this, but I agree with the statement that [most] everything is a phase. Also, some babies find a pattern/routine right away and some need more coaxing (to eat/sleep "enough"). But don't stress too long or too hard, because your baby will (likely) change in the next few days / weeks / months anyways. The bottom line is that you have to find what works for you and your family. You can have a game plan going in (attachment parenting, RIE, cry-it-out for sleep 'training', jarred baby food vs baby-led solids, etc etc etc) but the (boss) baby might have other plans. Try to go with the flow. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice so far! I'm loving these. 
  • Options
    Just want to thank @doxiemoxie212 for getting this started, and of course everyone else for their responses! This is really helpful advice. I've never heard of most of these things...just had to Google the giraffe, and one of my friends' kids has it but I had no idea it was a whole "thing" with books and all. So much to learn!
  • Options
    1) favorite item was maybe the ergo -- the sport one because it's not so sweaty
    least favorite item -- I can't even think of whatever baby stuff we might have had but didn't use because it sucked. We did tend to go light on all of that stuff, though.
    2) As for stores, I haven't set foot in a baby store since 2010 and then I think I only went to babiesRus once. I like Target because I'm already there for other things but it's not as comprehensive as actual baby stores and sometimes doesn't have what you need. We've done most shopping on amazon.
    3) Breastfeeding was probably the biggest "I know how to do it now" from #1 to #2. This time around who knows? Maybe we finally know what we're doing? :)

• Options
    What was your favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item? Favorites - Rock N Play and Aden and Anis Snapping Swaddlers, Green Mountain Diapers workhorses and prefolds with Thirsties covers (for any cloth diapering mamas).  Least favorite - She never liked the chair/lounger thing and much preferred a swing and the rock and play. 

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?) I like Buy Buy Baby, the people there are a great help and there are always $5 or 20% off coupons to use (you can also use Bed Bath and Beyond coupons there). Least favorite - Babies R Us- the ones around here just seem kind of trashy and there is never anyone around to help with questions. 

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time? I made some frozen meals before the baby came but FILL YOUR FREEZER! I premade breakfast burritos and some lasagnas. This time around I will make sure our entire freezer is full. Making decisions about food and shopping in the first two weeks is the last thing on your mid and you never know... your new dinner time might be 2am (its not easy to get on a "normal" schedule right away) so restaurants and takeaway might night be available.  

Breastfeeding HURTS for the first two weeks. I cried for the first two minutes of every feeding and then immediately started dreading the next one, but it gets better, and its so good for baby. 

Marissa and Michael 0626 

• Options
    Three more things for the last question:
    Bed-sharing safely -- https://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/
    What to read when you *really* need a good laugh as a parent -- https://www.theuglyvolvo.com or https://pregnantchicken.com
    Postpartum padsicles (a DIY you should do in the 3rd trimester) -- https://prettyprovidence.com/diy-padsicles-postpartum/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Awesome thread.  Reading daily and learning lots!!!  What is the difference between a baby bjorn and an ergo?
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• Options
    MKissa said:
    What was your favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item? Favorites - Rock N Play and Aden and Anis Snapping Swaddlers, Green Mountain Diapers workhorses and prefolds with Thirsties covers (for any cloth diapering mamas).  Least favorite - She never liked the chair/lounger thing and much preferred a swing and the rock and play. 

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?) I like Buy Buy Baby, the people there are a great help and there are always $5 or 20% off coupons to use (you can also use Bed Bath and Beyond coupons there). Least favorite - Babies R Us- the ones around here just seem kind of trashy and there is never anyone around to help with questions. 

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time? I made some frozen meals before the baby came but FILL YOUR FREEZER! I premade breakfast burritos and some lasagnas. This time around I will make sure our entire freezer is full. Making decisions about food and shopping in the first two weeks is the last thing on your mid and you never know... your new dinner time might be 2am (its not easy to get on a "normal" schedule right away) so restaurants and takeaway might night be available.  

Breastfeeding HURTS for the first two weeks. I cried for the first two minutes of every feeding and then immediately started dreading the next one, but it gets better, and its so good for baby. 
    Just curious, but did you try a variety of cloth diaper brands?  We CD'ed until DS was 8 months and then he started getting a really bad rash all over his crotch.  That was the time he became mobile so we figured that was it, but just wondering what you liked about Green Mountains because I'd love to go back to cloth for this one but I am worried about the same issue.
  • Options
    MKissa said:

Just curious, but did you try a variety of cloth diaper brands?  We CD'ed until DS was 8 months and then he started getting a really bad rash all over his crotch.  That was the time he became mobile so we figured that was it, but just wondering what you liked about Green Mountains because I'd love to go back to cloth for this one but I am worried about the same issue.
    Green Mountain I loved in the beginning because they were easy for the tons of changes that come with the first few months. We now use a variety of pockets and all in ones and changes diapers very often and was every other day. My daughter has never had a rash. Did you try new wash routines when that started happening? Or new detergent? Were you using cheap diapers? Some people have good luck with them but I know the Alva's and other microfiber ones can hold a lot of build up over time. I love cloth so much. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Marissa and Michael 0626 

• Options
    Geez, I had started to type up a response but kept putting off finishing it up. DD and DH have been sick with a cold, but I guess my immune system is in overdrive now that I'm pregnant? Anyways moving on..

My must haves: A carrier. I personally have and love my Ergo! I don't really use it anymore since she is so independent and much rather walk. I also loved the RnP especially for naps throughout the day and if I really wanted to shower. I could still keep an eye on her. I just couldn't be one of those moms who didn't shower for days. I originally had this vision that I would be able to use the A+A blanket for swaddling but as it turned out, I was not very good at it. I caved and got those velcro swaddles (summer me) and she slept really well. We used it until probably 5 months then switched over to the Zippadee. There's more but I'm going to stop at that.

Least favorite item:
    I'm with @squirtgun on the bedding stuff. I bought them because I thought it was cute, "completed the nursery" and that she would eventually use them. I ended up selling them for super cheap earlier this summer. DD just turned 2 and she doesn't use even a thin blanket.

Go to place: Target and still is. I've been an employee so I also get a discount, but will probably quit this time. That won't change anything. And Amazon is great too when they have great deal on diapers/wipes. Oh and most brand new onesies came from Kohl's. They occasionally have a great deal where it's $10 of $30 worth of baby/toddler apparels, plus 30% off, plus free shipping. You just have to have a Kohl's charge card to get the discounts

This time around: This is a more personal decision, but we will most likely try start with the crib right off the bat. DD ended up with a flat spot and the RnP is the most likely culprit based on the hours of research we did. We had to transition her at 8 weeks and do physical therapy to strengthen her neck so she wouldn't lay on the flat side all the time. It eventually rounded out. I'm also with @Jellybeanqueen13 on the car seat. We were able to figure out how to install it but we were clueless on how to buckle a kiddo in it safely (positioning of chest clip, height and tightness of harness, etc). You will definitely see me sharing education information  car seat safety later down the road when it gets closer to May. 

• Options
    What was your favorite and least favorite "must have" baby item? This is hard. The only must haves are diapers (unless you're a free flowing type) and food (boobs or formula) and probably sleepers and a car seat. BUT I do like paci-plushies and I think receiving blankets are always useful, the bigger the better (homemade are usually best). Swings have worked well with 2 of my three kids. A cover for the bucket seat if it will be cold when you use it. And find a carrier that you love, I love my Moby for newborns and my Lillebaby for bigger kids.

Least fave? SO MANY THINGS hahaha! Muslin/bamboo are not necessary. Bamboo are super soft and I love them BUT I find they are hard to swaddle with and muslin are rough. Most expensive/fancy things are unnecessary. Layettes, fancy change tables, diaper holders, trendy baths, most monitors, just so many things haha!

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?) Once Upon a Child...Walmart...Toys R Us...hahaha! Secondhand will be your best friend. Kids go through things fast, have fun and get some things new but don't be too proud to buy previously loved.

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time? So many things. I think the biggest thing is to remember yourself. I know how hard self care is, I have three children, haha, but try to remember that, for the next nine months, you taking care of yourself = you taking care of this baby. Take baths/showers, shave your legs, get a massage, eat delicious foods and get a mani pedi. Buy clothes that are comfortable, get a new bra, some comfy undies, get a haircut. Treat yourself as well as you plan on treating your baby when it comes.

(PS: anyone else super bored this Saturday night?)
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options

favorite baby items:

Moby wrap- this was a LIFESAVER when LO was a newborn. mambo nursing pillow- used it every time I nursed on the couch. halo swaddles- LO loved to be swaddled. fisher price sit me up floor seat- sooo much better than any other seat I've found. I highly recommend it. city select- LOVE my stroller.

Lease favorite baby item- my highchair! the boon flair... I'm so mad I wasted so much money on this chair. it is sooo wobbly and seems unsafe. Looks really cool but don't buy it....

I usually shop at BRU and have them price match everything to Amazon.

Teaching baby to fall asleep on their own is soooo important. I didn't start until around 5 months and I should have laid the ground work sooner.

• Options
    Favorite Must Have is definitely the rock and play, boppy, thin adain and anise blankets and a jumper. RNP was a must after DS got a cold at 6 weeks, he needed to sleep elevated and after that I loved that the baby was at my eye level. I had to EP due to many reasons so when I would pump at night I could sit behind him in the chair and him in the RNP and I could feed him a bottle as I pumped. As he got bigger I then started to use the boppy for that same situation. I would sit on the couch have him in boppy next to me and I would feed him while I pumped. The boppy came in handy many times after as he started to sit up, you can put it behind him if he falls back. As he started to be able to hold his own bottle I would lay him on it give bottle then finish getting ready for the day- him in a safe non rolling area of course. To this day he is a 13 m old and he still lays back in the morning to get his bottle on it even though he can drink sitting up, he can drink from a sippy. At night he will climb into the middle and play while its around him or he will lay down on it occasionally when he is tired. It wasn't fantastic for when I bf him for the first weeks. I am tall so I still needed the boppy plus another pillow to get him in position, Ive heard much better things about the my breast friend but for me and our situation the boppy is a staple. The thin swaddling blankets were and are great. He uses one still as a blanket and he likes to put a piece in his mouth at night which I hate but feel ok about since they are so thin. I thought they were great for swaddling or just tucking him in the car seat to keep warm. They were great to put down behind him in swings and things to keep the potential blow out diaper mess off something important. Again he is 13 m and we are still using them. the jumper i cannot rave about more. From about 3.5 to 4 months my kid lived in the jumper. When he started to begin pulling up to stand he could still play with the jumper but from the outside which he really enjoyed. 

Least fav was the swing the went left to right- it was huge took up so much space and seemed to be too much for my son. His head moved back and forth way too much. We used it 6 or 8 times maybe. We mostly used the RNP during the day until he started to become a little mobile. My son much preferred the front to back swings.

Babies R us I only registered at because I have alot of older people in my family and for my wedding I used an online registry and no one bought off of it. But they are soo pricey. Amazon is my go to for everything. If you have an Amazon prime account you get a free amazon mom account if you sign up for it and they do diaper discounts and all sorts of good things. If you are a prime member you also get 15 percent cash back from having an amazon registry and from what people buy off of it. BR US i think only gives 10 percent cash back off registry items. 

Postpartum can be worse than the actual birth it can be painful, lonely, isolating and maddening. Ask for help, get fresh air don't allow yourself to slip down a dark path in your mentality. It doesn't matter who delivers your baby- I know some people are very attached to a gyno and some of you will also get very wrapped up in a birth plan but in my experience birth can go many many different ways and its better to be flexible but still understand your rights and your decisions are still valid. I go to a group of 12 doctors and still none of them delivered me, but I knew that my whole pregnancy. I work at Yale New Haven Hospital in CT, My gyno works out of Danbury Hospital in CT but I live 10 mins away from Sharon Hospital in CT. So if I went into labor at work I would have stayed to give birth there. I wont go to danbury hospital, its a personal thing- I used to work there and I just do not like it plus its 45 50 mins away from home. Then there is sharon which has terrific birthing suits only 6 rooms very personable staff etc. Why didn't I change my gyno with the first birth? I loved my nurse mid wife at my old office. We had been together a long time through alot of issues. I cared more about the bond I had with her to see her for all my appointments than the one day of birth. But I know i am in the minority.   

• Options
    @Yiggle09 that is such an interesting perspective about giving birth somewhere other than where you're seen.  We moved about 40 minutes away this spring but still work downtown so I've been struggling with where to give birth.  For doctor's appointments, my former OB/GYN is super convenient and if I go into labor at work so is the hospital where I delivered DS.  But from our house, there is another hospital that is much closer.  I had planned on switching to a doctor there but you have me thinking that maybe it wouldn't be crazy to stay at my former doctor and just know I might deliver elsewhere.  Were doctor's thrown off when you showed up a hospital where you didn't have a doctor?  Is this a thing people do?
  • Options
    Love this post! So many reminders of things that worked so well with my 1st that I'm hoping will work with my second. I agree with almost all of the above recommendations and will try to come up with some that are not already stated...

Best: Merlin Magic Sleepsuit. This thing was seriously MAGIC. From the first day I put it on him, he slept 1-3 hours longer each night. They are pricey, but worth at least registering for so you can see if it works for yours. Also, sleepers/onesie outfits with zippers. These are hard to find (GAP usually has some) but I found them so much easier than the snap ones which I would frequently get 90% of the way snapped and realize I had misaligned them. Pants that are easy to get on and off (leggings, etc)...the "cute" outfits are great but largely unpractical. Other musts to echo from above: Carrier of your choice, Boppy, bouncer, portable seat (Bumbo or other), sleep gowns, low key bedding (lots of extra crib sheets for night time disasters, monitor, car seat (obviously), pacifier with the little animal thingy and pacifier clips (I don't think I saw that anywhere, but infants have a way of losing these things quickly). 

Worst: Diaper bag--I wish I would have tested this in stores by filling it up with all the necessary things before buying. At least for me, outings with a newborn meant bringing an extra change of clothes, bottles, formula, diapers, wipes, ointment, toys, etc and I felt like mine was just too small/things were crammed. Baby shoes (I know this has been mentioned, but it should be repeated)--it is so hard to get a baby into shoes and even harder to keep them on, and they are totally unnecessary. Any toy with lights/sounds (these were ALL gifts), babies are very easy to entertain--give them a plastic water bottle. The lights/sound just drive the parents crazy.

What was your favorite and least favorite national baby store to shop at? (Or are they all basically the same?) Amazon is the way to go. Subscribe and save diapers are SO much cheaper if you watch for the deals and aren't brand loyal. Target is great for in store shopping for a number of reasons (cheaper, more manageable selection) and, of course, you can pick something up for yourself AND usually a Starbucks. I think the big chains are generally a waste of time (I prefer reading reviews online even to personally testing, because sometimes something is GREAT out of the box, but breaks down in 1 month). 

What do you know this time around that you wish you knew the first time? Literally everything that everyone has said above--ALL TRUE. Adding a couple of light-hearted thoughts, if you do go the formula route, don't be guilted into the most expensive formula. There are strict FDA regulations on formula and they all have the same base nutrients but cost can vary dramatically--we used Costco brand and it was super cheap and did the job. Same goes with diaper cream--those babies have millions of diaper changes and the tubes go QUICK and can be pricey. My suggestion is to buy giant tubs of Vaseline for standard changes and have a couple of heavy duty creams on hand for when the rashes pop up. And stock up on comfy lounge pants for yourself for maternity leave--preferably with pockets--key for carrying bottles/pacifiers/cell phones/plus baby from room to room. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have to say, this is a fantastic thread! Thank you for all the moms for sharing!! :)<3
  • Options
    @RainyDays86 Honestly I don't think what I do/ did is very normal but it worked for us and no hospital will turn you away, they will just do the workup check your vitals, dilation and contractions just like with every pregnant lady and then they will decide if you are in labor and keep you or send you home to labor more. Worst case if you do not have your information with you they can request that info during daytime hours. I pre registered and visited all three places and yes the hospital i showed up at was like ummm who are you? did you call your ob? do you have any info with you? So at around 34 weeks I got copies of everything from the office at each visit and carried them in my purse. I also had all the important lab data printed out as well. I travel 1 1/2 hours from my home for work both ways so I needed some flexibility. My Ob this time is new since my old one retired and he has already asked me if I would reconsider my plans to not go to where they deliver. Nope sorry bud lol
  • Options
    @Yiggle09 Carrying the info around for hospitals is a great tip. Thanks for sharing. I really wanted to do a job that is 45 mins away (without traffic) and I've been second guessing on the off chance that I go into labor in the middle of the day at work (or stuck in traffic on the way home!) and not be able to get to "my" hospital in time. 
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention the Wonder Weeks book &/or app explained SOOOOOO MUCH! FTM's need to check it out. It explains the developmental leaps your baby experiences, what to expect, when to expect it, how to thrive during them, etc. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17