September 2015 Moms

Super Heavy Period After Weaning - Anyone Else?

I just fully weaned my LO at the beginning of September after his first birthday. I got my period back at 5 months post-partum with my regular flow, but my cycle length was irregular due to breastfeeding. 

I just got my first period after weaning completely and it's the heaviest one I've ever had, with more cramps than I usually get. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience after weaning and if this is common!

I'm hoping this is a temporary thing while my hormones regulate and the super heavy periods aren't here to stay!

Re: Super Heavy Period After Weaning - Anyone Else?

• Me! And the cramps were just awful! I also got my period back early, 4 mos PP, and fully weaned about a month ago. My most recent cycle was seriously terrible. I think it's normal?
  • Me! And the cramps were just awful! I also got my period back early, 4 mos PP, and fully weaned about a month ago. My most recent cycle was seriously terrible. I think it's normal?
    Thanks! That's what I've been reading ... glad I'm not the only one, although not glad we both have to suffer! Counting the days until this one is over with!
  • Loading the player...
  • My first after weaning (which was also my first one PP) this time was the absolute WORST.  It hasn't been terrible the last few times, though.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Ugh, maybe I'll never stop breastfeeding! My periods have been so light and short and hardly any cramping and no boob pain. I was seriously convinced that my periods forever more would be light and easy now! No more elevator doors from The Shining! I never thought about the fact that I have yet to fully wean. Damn.
  • Ugh, maybe I'll never stop breastfeeding! My periods have been so light and short and hardly any cramping and no boob pain. I was seriously convinced that my periods forever more would be light and easy now! No more elevator doors from The Shining! I never thought about the fact that I have yet to fully wean. Damn.
    Thankfully the cramps and heavy flow only lasted 1-1/2 days, then it was SUPER light again and went away quickly. It could have been worse!