3rd Trimester
Options

35 weeks and trying to stop labor

About a month ago I was having contractions every 3-4 minutes, I was told to go to L&D. They gave me a shot of terbutaline. After reading the side effects I made it clear I didn't want it again, the contractions subdued and weren't regular anymore but still noticeable. I'm in the hospital right now with contractions every 2-3 minutes, no change in cervix (scheduled c section October 17th) I was induced with my first for 3 days and only got to 3cm so I don't see much happening with a cervix. They've given me two 10mg doses of procardia since I've been here with no change, the next step they want to do a magnesium. Why not just give it shot to help baby's lungs and take him? One of my Dr's told me they'd take him at 35 weeks but now that's not the case, I don't really want a take anymore meds to stop labor because of the side effects.

Re: 35 weeks and trying to stop labor

• Options
    amanda19xx said:
    About a month ago I was having contractions every 3-4 minutes, I was told to go to L&D. They gave me a shot of terbutaline. After reading the side effects I made it clear I didn't want it again, the contractions subdued and weren't regular anymore but still noticeable. I'm in the hospital right now with contractions every 2-3 minutes, no change in cervix (scheduled c section October 17th) I was induced with my first for 3 days and only got to 3cm so I don't see much happening with a cervix. They've given me two 10mg doses of procardia since I've been here with no change, the next step they want to do a magnesium. Why not just give it shot to help baby's lungs and take him? One of my Dr's told me they'd take him at 35 weeks but now that's not the case, I don't really want a take anymore meds to stop labor because of the side effects.
    Your doctor's apparently think it's safer for your baby to be in than out. Once that changes I'm sure they'll alter course. There's still a lot of developing to be done in the last few weeks of pregnancy, so trust the doctors that you are paying for their professional medical advice.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I had extremely high blood pressure for the end of my pregnancy and was having contractions and they pushed to keep her in until 38 weeks when I delivered. They will take the baby if they have to but if they can keep them in its typically better. Trust your doctor who is a medical professional. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Trust your doctor. This isn't the 1st, 3rd or 10th time they've dealt with situations like this. They are trained medical professionals who are doing what's best for you and your baby.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker