January 2016 Moms

Weaning from the pump

So I hate pumping and i want to throw it off a bridge. Is it possible to wean from the pump and still nurse while I'm with the baby? I commute to work about 45 minutes so without pumping after my shift I'm gone 10 hours give or take. Usually my work weeks are 5 days but on occasion I'll have a longer work week.

Re: Weaning from the pump

• I know some people nurse only at night or only twice a day, but I'm not really sure how to get to that point.  I'm still at the point where it's insanely uncomfortable to go more than 4 hours.  Have you tried the breastfeeding board?  It's a little slow over there, but questions do seem to get answers
  • I had to stop pumping at work because I didn't feel comfortable in the new location they gave me to use. I still nurse in the morning and evening but my supply has definitely taken a dive.
  • Loading the player...
  • She's almost 8 months old. I just need to see this through and keep going
  • She's almost 8 months old. I just need to see this through and keep going
    That's how I feel too.  Pumping sucks, but it's only a few more months.  We can do it!  :)

• Ugh I have a love/hate relationship with the pump. I know my supply is fine because LO nurses well and is gaining good weight but my body does not respond well to the pump and I can't pump very much so I'm always questioning if I need to start supplementing. Can't wait to be done with that dang thing!!
  • I hate pumping too. That is all.
  • Ironically i forgot the tubes to my pump today. Fortunately i didn't get too uncomfortable
  • I'm with you ladies in the hating pumping! Love nursing hate pumping! I was at the point when I would work a stretch of days that I would always get a terrible clogged duct and borderline mastitis... On a weekly basis. I stuck it out Til he was 8 months old and then said I can't handle the weekly pain anymore but didn't want to stop nursing entirely especially with cold and flu season coming up. So I cut back pumping/nursing to about 4 times a day, I nurse/pump before work, pump once at lunch and then nurse at bedtime and during the MOTN. Only pumping once per work day has seriously saved my sanity and I haven't had another borderline mastitis since I partially weaned. I was worried about how to cut back bc of my proneness to getting close to mastitis so with my LCs recommendation I started at work by during one pumping session only pumping about half the time I usually would, then the next day i cut out that pumping and moved my next pumping session up about an hour so I didn't get too uncomfortable, then I repeated that process slowly until I cut out the feedings a day I needed so I could only pump once at work. Honestly now I wish I did it sooner bc of dealing with that pain so long and I know he's still nursing and getting his antibodies for the upcoming winter!  You go strong pumping mommas!
  • So I hate pumping and i want to throw it off a bridge. Is it possible to wean from the pump and still nurse while I'm with the baby? I commute to work about 45 minutes so without pumping after my shift I'm gone 10 hours give or take. Usually my work weeks are 5 days but on occasion I'll have a longer work week.
    I don't know what type of pump you are using but the Medela pumps have a car adapter to power your pump when you drive. I used this during my commute and it was wonderful. I found it easier to adapt an old sports bar to a pumping bra instead of driving with that tube top contraption on.