February 2016 Moms

Advice for moms struggling with getting baby to take a bottle

I couldn't get my ebf baby to take one either at 1st. The 1 tip that seems to work is to point the bottle nipple towards the roof of their mouth toward their uvula-might have butchered spelling? Anyway, that induces their suckling reflex and was the one thing that seemed to help. I saw some mom's saying they were having trouble with that so I just thought I'd throw it out there. However, I think if they get hungry enough they'll take it and then it's just a matter of time before they get used to it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice for moms struggling with getting baby to take a bottle

• Out pediatrician also said to have dad do it. If the baby can smell mama and her milk, they may try to go for the breast. 
  • Out pediatrician also said to have dad do it. If the baby can smell mama and her milk, they may try to go for the breast. 
    This was 100% true with DD1 and I think with most babies. We've been struggling with the bottle for DD2 (took it twice before, now hasn't for almost a month). I had my mom try again today and it was scream fest. She went home, I nursed baby, and then the bottle was sitting there so I figured I'd pop it in to see what she did. Wouldn't you know, after a minute of turning her head away/playing with it, she started eating like she'd been doing it forever. What the heck, kid! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
    Up until yesterday, my LO would only take it from me. Now she's doing so much better. I think she figured out she wasn't getting the
     boob, no matter how hard she cried 
  • Sometimes you never know what babies will do! They definitely have a mind of their own!  ;)
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited May 2016
    VitaLuna said:
    Out pediatrician also said to have dad do it. If the baby can smell mama and her milk, they may try to go for the breast. 
    This was 100% true with DD1 and I think with most babies. We've been struggling with the bottle for DD2 (took it twice before, now hasn't for almost a month). I had my mom try again today and it was scream fest. She went home, I nursed baby, and then the bottle was sitting there so I figured I'd pop it in to see what she did. Wouldn't you know, after a minute of turning her head away/playing with it, she started eating like she'd been doing it forever. What the heck, kid! 
    This is the exact same way my LO is. I had everyone try and spent a lot on bottles and nipples. Then one day after a month of trying, he just took it from his brother. Now he doesn't always, but we offer it one time a day just to keep him familiar. I start back to work tomorrow for a 15 hour day. Dad is so nervous about baby boy not taking a bottle or crying and not being able to soothe him. I'm so not at ease about it. It's funny, sometimes baby will take bottle like a pro and other times it's like he's never seen it. Be praying my LO takes it tomorrow so he won't starve while I'm over an hour away for a long day at work. 
    Up until yesterday, my LO would only take it from me. Now she's doing so much better. I think she figured out she wasn't getting the

@ashton2190 I know this is an old post and I wasn't even in the February group (DS was born in May) but DS was taking a bottle fine from one month on, last week he started daycare and now he refuses the bottle no matter who tries to give it to him. Did you just withhold the breast until she took a bottle?

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • @AdorkablePixie DD never went back to taking a bottle for us BUT right around 4 months would take the nuk learner sippy cup. Thought I'd throw that out there since it can be so stressful  :s

@ashton2190 I know this is an old post and I wasn't even in the February group (DS was born in May) but DS was taking a bottle fine from one month on, last week he started daycare and now he refuses the bottle no matter who tries to give it to him. Did you just withhold the breast until she took a bottle?
    I was at my first day back at work and she was refusing to take the bottle. I was able to go home during lunch and put her in her bouncer and gave her the bottle while gently bouncing her. Idk why that worked but my husband had to do that for a couple days and then she was fine. She holds her own bottle now and will lunge at it if she sees it

I was at my first day back at work and she was refusing to take the bottle. I was able to go home during lunch and put her in her bouncer and gave her the bottle while gently bouncing her. Idk why that worked but my husband had to do that for a couple days and then she was fine. She holds her own bottle now and will lunge at it if she sees it

I did something similar and it worked! I put him in his swing and looked at him as he ate. I also stopped storing his milk in the medela storage bags and we haven't had a problem since. I was thinking I was having a lipase problem and that's why he wouldn't take the bottle, but as soon as I stopped using the medela bags, he started taking the bottle again. So weird.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018