April 2016 Moms

Bottles

What kind of bottles do you use? 

We've been using Dr. Brown's with breastmilk. But I'm looking for other suggestions. They leak so much it's driving me crazy. Plus DD burps so much. I feel like she's swallowing way too much air.

Any suggestions on what you like or don't like? Thanks

Re: Bottles

• We have only ever used Phillips Avent Classic Bottles.  Got some free ones as samples when we set up our registry, and they seem to work great!  DD usually BF but they work for the times when we're apart and she has to take a bottle.
  • We use the Playtex Vent Aire. They are easy to clean and have no issues going between BF and bottle. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We have only ever used Phillips Avent Classic Bottles.  Got some free ones as samples when we set up our registry, and they seem to work great!  DD usually BF but they work for the times when we're apart and she has to take a bottle.
    I also use the same bottles for my LO. He is FF. Lately I have been having issues with the nipples, but I replace them as needed if they get weak/leak. I recieved a free sample when I shopped for some maternity gear and I just stuck with that brand ever since.   
  • Should also add that up until this week DD was on the Size 1 nipple.  We moved her up to Size 3 and it seems like it comes out a little fast, would have tried Size 2 but the store didn't have that size.
  • I've been using Avent with size 2 nipples, I've used the traditional shape and the ones that mimic the breast shape interchangeably. Never had any issues!
  • I use the cheap bottles from Walmart. I have some Avent bottles but honestly I dont like them. They arent as easy to hold because they are wider and LO seems to dribble formula out of his mouth with the wide nipples. The slim Walmart bottles have worked great simce we brougbt him home. 
  • We use the Dr. Brown's bottle and the Playtex Nursers. When SO feeds her, he typically chooses the Avent Naturals. (We have too many effing bottles)

I feel like she gets a better latch and less air intake with the Playtex bottles though. Plus, less washing.
  • My Dr Browns bottles have been leaking too! I thought it was just me. We got some new, bigger ones and haven't had an issue. 

If you don't want to buy new bottles, or want to keep using using Dr Brown's brand, here's some tips:

1. Size up. Our 4oz bottles started leaking once we reached the 4oz level. We now use the 8oz size, even though the baby is not drinking that much. 

2. Make sure there's nothing on the rim of the bottle to prevent a good seal. For us, that means making sure there's no formula powder or water on the rim before we put the white seal thing in the bottle. 

3. Don't shake the bottle. 

4. Don't heat the bottle with the cap on. If you can, heat the milk in a different container, let it cool a little bit, then pour it into the Dr brown's bottle. The pressure from the heat can prevent a good seal, and it forces the milk up the air tube and causes leaks. 

These tips have helped us. I hope they can help you  :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• My Dr Browns bottles have been leaking too! I thought it was just me. We got some new, bigger ones and haven't had an issue. 

If you don't want to buy new bottles, or want to keep using using Dr Brown's brand, here's some tips:

1. Size up. Our 4oz bottles started leaking once we reached the 4oz level. We now use the 8oz size, even though the baby is not drinking that much. 

2. Make sure there's nothing on the rim of the bottle to prevent a good seal. For us, that means making sure there's no formula powder or water on the rim before we put the white seal thing in the bottle. 

3. Don't shake the bottle. 

4. Don't heat the bottle with the cap on. If you can, heat the milk in a different container, let it cool a little bit, then pour it into the Dr brown's bottle. The pressure from the heat can prevent a good seal, and it forces the milk up the air tube and causes leaks. 

These tips have helped us. I hope they can help you  :)
    Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately, we're pretty much doing all of that already and we're still having leaks. The only one I haven't tried is heating in a separate container and transferring to the bottle. Will give that a shot. Thanks
  • Tommee tippee here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Joovy boob 
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I use the Joovy Boob bottles.  Love them!
  • I use the Medela bottles with size 1 nipples and the simlac bottles with size 2 nipples.  

• Have you recently got new nipples?   I ordered Dr Brown nipples from Amazon and they leaked.  Had to get rid of them.  We just take the collar and nipple off when we hear.  Leaving it on will cause it to leak.  I bought travel caps for them and send them to daycare with those on.  They heat them with the travel cap then put the parts in.  
  • We use Philips Avent Naturals and they have never leaked. 
  • We love the standard Browns with a preemie nipple on the days I have to work.
    they only leak of you fill them past the line or heat them up with the cap on it.