TTC after 35

TWW: Aug 29 - Sept 4

Tell us how many DPO you are, what you're doing/not doing this month, when/if you'll test, and symptoms that have you wondering if this is THE month! 

If you haven't already made a separate intro, please first do so in a separate discussion thread so we can get to know you! Good luck!
Me: 41
Husband: 40
TTC#1 since 9/2014
Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally

Re: TWW: Aug 29 - Sept 4

• DPO: 7

What We're Doing: OPKs and trying to bang it out more. Plus PNVs, CoQ10, BBT

Testing: Saturday (11 DPO) just in case so I can drink that night without worry. Otherwise, only if my temp stays up past 12DPO.

Symptoms: This is the worst part. I usually spot starting 11DPO, but it's brown, which is of course normal in early pregnancy so I'm all "OMG I could still be pregnant!" Yesterday I had random cramps. 5DPO I had a sharp cramp that made me gasp out loud and H goes "what the hell was that?" But when it's so early it's just gas. Really weird gas. And as always I feel sluggish when I exercise because of the progesterone. And because I was struggling yesterday in my cardio class this complete jackass who likes to mansplain about fitness was all "You can do it, you're doing a great job!" and I'm all "Look, asshat, I'm a week past ovulation and have allergies so my breathing is terrible so just stop thinking you know everything." So add "irritable" to the list.

Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• 6 DPO/CD 20

I've been taking clomid, prenatals, CoQ10, fish oil, using OPK, started acupuncture, eating pineapple this week.

Testing - not before AF is missed

I have no symptoms, and I really am not even focused on searching for symptoms, because at this point everything I've experienced thus far was a "symptom", a sign, and I'm tired of thinking that way, it's just tiring.  I'm trying to focus on every other life thing.  This third month on Clomid I actually am NOT experiencing the sore nipples starting at O time, so that's different.  We only BD twice this time thanks to H's uncooperative "do we really need to tonight?/always tired" attitude, so maybe that has me less hopeful as well.   Both of our interest in BD is waning big time.  My PCP told me to start living life and it will happen, which I know probably MOST of you have heard a million times over by now, but I really like my PCP, she is probably my age and she takes the time to really get to know me.  She told me her own story, not in an "everything will work out for you/sunshine/rainbows" kind of way, but just how she made changes in her own life to help her emotional well-being and then she ended up getting pregnant.  She knows me all too well at this point and even offered to put me on an anti-depressant again if it will help me relax and maybe not give a shit.  Tempting, but I went off of it two years ago for this journey and I just don't want to be on it if I get a BFP.    

@eggplantface - I can relate with the gas pains, and had them yesterday myself, but I had gas pains in my upper body, too, so I didn't really think it was a symptom going on.   Fx that the early spotting is a positive sign!!!
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • 8DPO/CD24 here (aaaaaalmost cycle twins again @jennh75b!) 

PNV, OPK, acupuncture, herbs for my "stagnant blood and qi". Finally Had more than 2 days of BD during fertile window! Although most were turkey baster....which I hope we did right.

zero symptoms here. After the last three cycles of crazy sore boobs from O day to AF it's a nice break! Even if I had symptoms I have also had everything under the sun that *could* be something, so nothing would really get me excited at this point. 

AF will be officially late on Tuesday, won't test until then. 

@eggplantface hopefully the irritability is a good sign! 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DPO: 6 or 7/ CD 20

I did the OPK again this month. That's about it. I'm feeling really dumb about not even knowing what all the things everyone else is saying even means. I guess I need to do some more research?  I mean I try and eat healthy and take prenatals and aim BD for the prime week.
    We managed  -4 and -1, but not on or after the "peak" day so I'm kind of frustrated with that esp bc I really tried to make it happen but DH was too exhausted :/ 

Similar to last month, I'm just feeling overall blah. I feel cranky and negative and at the same time hopeful, but not hopeful. Telling myself it's not happening this month so stop thinking about it, except still thinking about it 24/7. 

I had some mild cramping tonight so probably just gearing up for my monthly pre AF spotting. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Poemasque - almost twins but thanks to my 2.5 week wait we will probably just get further apart. :(  good luck to you! 

@christina239....we are almost cycle twins, too!  I'm sorry you didnt get to BD as you wanted, it can be so disappointing.

I will explain some of the things I said I am doing. The RE recommended taking 600 mg of CoQ10 daily to help with cell development...she said my H could take it, too, but he doesn't thanks to his phobia of all pills and potential side effects, which he read up on this and then after taking a dose was convinced he had a side effect.

My RE gave me a list of tips we could try.  Eating pineapple with the core is supposed to help with implantation so you're supposed to cut a pineapple into five slices and eat a slice every day for five days. The core is the important part. So I've done this a few cycles, starting a few days after O.  

Another tip which I have tried but sort of blew off was drinking pomegranate juice which is supposed to strengthen your uterine lining.  The instructions say to start on day 1, but doesnt say when/if to stop.  It's pricey and I don't like the taste...I even tried muxing it with other juice.  But I dont have much concern about my lining so I am skipping it.  

I tried the acupuncture after it being suggested by a massage therapist and after reading that other women on the boards have tried it.  But I am also going to it for back pain....to get my money's worth, lol.

TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @Christina239 I don't know why the stereotype is that men want to have sex all the time! When it comes to BD during FW the struggle is real!! You're not alone here, there are quite a few of us who have had issues getting our men to rally. 

I finally convinced my SO to try the turkey baster method (he masturbates into a cup, I insert it via syringe near my cervix). He was super against it at first, but Now he's fine with it for days when he's too tired or if I'm sick (I get sick a lot since I work in a hospital). So much less stress for both of us! 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • PoeMasque said:

I finally convinced my SO to try the turkey baster method (he masturbates into a cup, I insert it via syringe near my cervix). He was super against it at first, but Now he's fine with it for days when he's too tired or if I'm sick (I get sick a lot since I work in a hospital). So much less stress for both of us! 
    Say whaaaaaaaaa??? This is a thing? This could solve all my problems!!
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Wow thanks guys! That was so helpful!!! 

jennh75b so funny, my DH would be the same way with the side effects
  • @PoeMasque weird I had a reply in there for you too and it didn't post that part? Anyways I just said ugh it's so annoying bc it's like he doesn't grasp that there are only certain times that it could work. A week from now when he wants to BD he'll say something along the lines of "well aren't we ttgp?" Yeah we are but BD the day before AF doesn't do us much good! 
  • @eggplantface yes!! This is how a lot of my lesbian friends conceived. It helps for you to O too after the semen are in there, sucks them right up :) 

@Christina239 my SO was the same, he also used the "it's going to happen, stop stressing" line when I was upset because we'd only BD once in a FW. I started putting "best days" on our calendar and told him that was my FW. Now he comes home from work and says, "best days start today!" It totally took the pressure off of me to always make the move and he now has something to look forward to on be calendar :)  

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh, for some reason I just had this really good feeling about this cycle and I've been having this weird super-energized feeling with pretty consistent feelings of my heart beating out of my chest (kind of like I'd had too much coffee....even though I'd had none). So I did what I never let myself do and I tested when I got home from work at 2am this morning. (I'm 11dpo). Total BFN. Now I remember why I don't ever test early! 

Now I'm super tired, grumpy, and having pre-AF cramping. So just waiting for AF now and will be calling my OB on Tuesday for next steps (probably IUI) :( 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry @PoeMasque. It totally sucks when our bodies play tricks on us. 
  • @PoeMasque  - I'm so sorry.  :(  I hate when I cave and test, and all for a BFN.  It just adds an extra layer of crappiness to the situation.  Hope you're having a few adult beverages over this holiday weekend.
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @PoeMasque I understand! And am so sorry, that sucks! I'm trying not to go crazy this cycle too and TWW is just started!
  • I was on my 2WW until Saturday :(  I had a few things different the last week like increased headaches, extra emotional, and spotting earlier than normal which I had my hopes was implantation bleeding - not so much.  I also did what I never do and test the day of my next expected period and it too was a BFN.  AF showed up Saturday morning.  This is the first cycle of TTC where I was actually really bummed this weekend and even today.  On to cycle 4 for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry that you are out this time, @vlagrl29.  Some months are tougher than others, that's for sure. I hope you have better luck next round.
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • jennh75b said:
    Sorry that you are out this time, @vlagrl29.  Some months are tougher than others, that's for sure. I hope you have better luck next round.
    Thanks!  I try and focus on other things to get my mind off of it.  I made sure we DTD those first 2 weeks of the month.  Maybe I need to make sure we are consistent all month long with it.
  • @vlagrl29 sorry abut CD1, Satruday was CD 1 for me too. This was a hard one for me as well (you'd think after 12 cycles of no success I would be used to it). I really thought the acupuncture was going to at least help with my pre-AF spotting and cramps, but it did neither. The only thing that was better this time was my boobs weren't crazy sore from O to AF, only a little sore 2 days before AF. So a bummer on all fronts this time! 

called my OBs office today and have an appointment for next week to discuss IUI or meds. or both! 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • PoeMasque said:
    @vlagrl29 sorry abut CD1, Satruday was CD 1 for me too. This was a hard one for me as well (you'd think after 12 cycles of no success I would be used to it). I really thought the acupuncture was going to at least help with my pre-AF spotting and cramps, but it did neither. The only thing that was better this time was my boobs weren't crazy sore from O to AF, only a little sore 2 days before AF. So a bummer on all fronts this time! 

called my OBs office today and have an appointment for next week to discuss IUI or meds. or both! 
    I know a lot of you have tried for much longer than me so I really shouldn't complain/whine.  I have been doing some research online and have read that if you are over 35 and are TTC for at least 6 months you should get some testing done.  I thought the rule of thumb was 1 year of trying without conceiving.  I do have my first annual with my new OB tomorrow so I will probably as her opinion as well.
  • Hi @vlagrl29!  Yes, when you're of "advanced maternal age" the recommendation is to get tested sooner as you don't have as much time to just keep trying.  I've been going through that part of TTC myself, as have probably most of the AMAers here.  It's no fun, but at least you will feel like you're doing something to hopefully bring you closer to your goal.  I'm sure your doc will agree that it's appropriate to start checking things out.  FX that everything looks good for you...and we're all here to do what we can to help you through it regardless.
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks