Baby Names
Options

Name regret

forgive the formatting,  mobile is being stupid.

https://jezebel.com/does-your-mother-regret-your-name-1786068790

Curious if there are common threads in this. Were these names that they decided on before the child was born? Picked off a list? Last minute change?  Didn't check popularity or others opinions  before deciding? 

Re: Name regret

• Options
    I think a lot of people prob don't do the research. Once your child is named a name it stands out when you here it where before you may not have noticed just how popular it was. I would think a smaller percent is a last minute change. My youngest is named Idris and I'm surprised how many people can't say it spell it etc. that being said my oldest is Isaiah and I get the same lol and his name is way more common/known then Idris. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No name remorse here, but I have a name that was essentially not on the charts at all 2 years before I was born, was still fairly uncommon for my age, and then was totally ubiquitous within 6 or 7 years, including a whole multitude of spellings. My parents weren't trying to be trendy either; they just liked the name. 

What's the best way to gauge whether a name that doesn't seem particularly popular right now might suddenly take off? 
  • Options
    I have heard of some people regretting a name because they were pushed into it by family, or because family caused them to second guess their first choice.