Infertility

IVF side effects

I'd love to hear how everyone reacted to the various IVF and FET meds. Headaches, weight gain, irritability...I know it is all part of this, but just curious what you all noticed!

Re: IVF side effects

• I have felt amazing on my estrace and vivelle patch! Much better than I have in a long time emotionally. I don't know if it's the light at the end of the FET tunnel or what, but I've enjoyed it.

I had no real reaction to the stims, but I only took the meds for a few days before being triggered.

The BCPs on the other hand....Worst emotional experience ever. I honestly felt insane on them. Never. again.
  • Oh my gosh BCP is horrible for me too! I can't believe people are on this long term but I feel physically and emotionally so bad. I'm so bloated and irritable.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a dull headache on the mini pill and my husband says I am a "monster" and wants me back! Lol. I stop taking it tomorrow and hope I never have to take it again!

i was bruised up on my thighs from the shots.  But they took longer to surface than I thought they would.  I gained some, wanted to blame the bloat, but I think it was the ice cream.  

I had had to pee in the middle of the night every night while stimming. Otherwise not too bad!

@BornReady you just gave me some excitement for starting my next set of meds!

Me: 41  DH: 44  DD: 9
    IVF: ER 7/16 40 follies, 23 eggs, 19 mature,
    12 fert w/icsi, 6 blasts, 3 PGS norm, 1 unknown.

FET: 9/1/16 transferred 1 CP beta 5.9
    FET 2: 11/15/16 transferred 1 CP again!
    FET 3: TBD

• I agree about the BCPs!  I had never taken them before in my life and they made me so bloated, I gained weight, and had headaches.  I didn't gain weight at all on the stim meds.  I took Gonal F and Menopur.  I was definitely bloated, with maybe some headaches.  Big time constipation!  Actually a few days into the injections I got really sick.  I had the chills, felt so full and constipated, and was vomiting.  I didn't have OHSS though.  I don't know what that was, but it only lasted one night.  I didn't start feeling better in general from side effects until I was told to add on Cetrotide injections.  I don't know how adding a third injection into the mix could actually make me feel better, but it did.  I pee constantly on a good day, so I can't really say on that. :#

Me: 35 DH: 41, Married since 2009

TTC since June 2012

Aug. 2012: CP

2013 Several cycles of TI with Clomid = BFN

Feb. 2014: IUI = BFN

June 2014: IUI w/Clomid = BFN

Jul. 2014: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN

Apr. 2016: Consult to begin IVF

May 2016 TI w/Follistim and Ovidrel = BFN

Jul. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Vitamin D, COQ10, DHEA, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel, Leuprolide Acetate: 21 eggs retrieved, (10 w/ ICSI, 11 w/conv. IVF) 13 fertilized

Jul. 2016: Endometrin, Fresh Transfer 2AB = CP

7 frozen

Oct. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA = CP

6 frozen

Nov. 2016: Hospitalized for small bowel obstruction

Mar. 2017: Diagnostic Laparoscopy = Twist found in intestine - part of small intestine, part of colon, and appendix removed, bowel resection - caused by Endometriosis

May 2017: 3.75 Lupron Depot

June 2017: FET postponed due to complex cysts in breasts

June 2017: Endometrial scratch

Jul. 2017: Baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA (lost 1 4AA in thaw) = CP

4 frozen

Sept. 2017: ERA testing

Oct. 2017: Breast cysts biopsied

Dec. 2017: FET

• Bloating, headaches, weigh gain, irritability, mood swings, you name it- I've felt it lol 

I'm on Lupron this round and notice that I am a lot more irritable and exhausted than ever before. 
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• edited August 2016
    Had some minor headaches here and there, but nothing awful. Mood swings w/ progesterone, but again, nothing terrible. Gained about 2-3 lbs from not working out (risk of ovarian torsion). Felt bloated towards the end of stims bc my ovaries were GIANT... they were actually touching. After egg retrieval I found it difficult to find a comfortable position to lay. Heating pad helped relieve some discomfort. I really have felt just fine through all of this. Everyone is so different though. Hope you're one that doesn't feel much difference!
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • I felt bloated and had difficulty moving around in the last few days leading up to my egg retrieval.  I also had a slight headache when I first started stims.  Other than that I've been symptom-free!  IVF so far has been a pretty good experience.  We have yet to begin our FET cycle, so I have no experience to offer on that one.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Hi, runfast! I'm endo & PCOS sufferer. A year ago we used donor eggs with ivf in Ukrainian clinic. Unfortunately, reading and researching can be a double edged sword. Because more often than not you get way too much information and the negative information stands out far greater than the positive information! If you think about the numbers of women that are going through the same thing and taking the same medications, it would probably boggle your mind and those medications wouldn't last very long if everyone had such adverse side effects. I think they have to list ALL the possibilities however remote to cover their butts.
    As for me, I didn't suffer any side effects that were too crazy. Hot flashes with the Lupron and bruising from the injections. A little more hormonal and mild headaches with the progesterone. I think I may have gained up to 12 pounds probably due to all of them. :/ Finally I conceived with 2 little beans growing inside of me. So those minor side effects were well worth it! Unfortunately one vanished later. For me it was a mind over matter thing although.
    It's good to be informed so you know what to be on. But don't let it take away the 'joy' of what you are doing. I wish you the best of luck with it and bouncing baby success!!
  • Going back on BCP had me gaining back the 5-7 pounds that fell off me when I went off almost three years ago, so that was a bummer.

So far, my gonal and menopur have made me feel like I have a really bad hangover, or that I'm pregnant already - nausea, fatigue, headache. I almost cried at work yesterday over nothing.

I'm treating this as pregnancy-prep, or trimester zero. All the side effects, none of the excitement (yet!)
  • I love that!! .... Trimester zero. Makes it sound more legit that I can bust into tears or murderous rage at anytime and it's ok bc I'm in trimester zero. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers