August 2015 Moms

Breast milk is it enough?

Hi, currently Lo breastfeeds 2-4 times a day including three meals and 2 snacks + 1 yoghurt and plenty of water. Alot of people (mum/family/friends) are telling me that he should be drinking cows milk by now for calcium and growth. Is it necessary if hes having breast milk and if so how much should he have a day? Hes never had formula so havent a clue on Oz of milk he drinks in one sitting. I did pump when he was small so knew how much he had then but havent a clue what he gets through now usually he just runs off when hes finished nursing. 

Re: Breast milk is it enough?

• I had to FF L for several months, so I'm not sure if this advice fits BM or not. L's pedibhad is slowly start adding cow milk to Hisbdiet right around 10.5 months. He drinks between 16-20 oz a day from his sippy. He loves it, and his juice.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I had to FF L for several months, so I'm not sure if this advice fits BM or not. L's pedibhad is slowly start adding cow milk to Hisbdiet right around 10.5 months. He drinks between 16-20 oz a day from his sippy. He loves it, and his juice.

Has the cows milk replaced the formula? Or does he have it as a top up 
  • Loading the player...
  • The milk has replaced formula. He wants his formula for bed times.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• My situation is almost exact to yours. Except I feel like my LO snacks ALL day lol. At his 12 month visit the other day the pedi said to offer breast milk OR cows milk 4-6oz during each meal. I haven't given him any cows milk yet since he still drinks breast milk and eats yogurt daily. If your concerned try increasing the amount of calcium in his diet with other foods.

• lrwardrop said:

My situation is almost exact to yours. Except I feel like my LO snacks ALL day lol. At his 12 month visit the other day the pedi said to offer breast milk OR cows milk 4-6oz during each meal. I haven't given him any cows milk yet since he still drinks breast milk and eats yogurt daily. If your concerned try increasing the amount of calcium in his diet with other foods.

Thanks. Ill definitely stick to breast milk atm so i will offer after meals or atleast if i get it in 4 times in a 24 hour period. 
  • I've heard a lot of different things from different sources. DS still breastfeeds 4-5 times a day at 1 year old. Your breast milk really does supply all baby needs milkwise. Your milk is tailored to his needs, a cows is not. Personally, I'm not in a hurry to switch to cows milk. When he is ready to wean we will supplement and eventually switch. Of course that is different for every baby! I wouldn't worry too much about what relatives or friends say, definitely listen and consider, but at the end of the day do what's right for you and LO. Our healthcare provider (naturopath) recommended breastfeeding as long as it makes sense for us to (she preferred through this winter to give baby as much extra immune support as possible) then to introduce goat milk and if tolerated progress to cows milk. She said cows milk can be too much for some babies and goat milk is easier on the tummy and can be a good transition. Just my two cents, hope it's helpful! 
  • BecNJake said:
    I've heard a lot of different things from different sources. DS still breastfeeds 4-5 times a day at 1 year old. Your breast milk really does supply all baby needs milkwise. Your milk is tailored to his needs, a cows is not. Personally, I'm not in a hurry to switch to cows milk. When he is ready to wean we will supplement and eventually switch. Of course that is different for every baby! I wouldn't worry too much about what relatives or friends say, definitely listen and consider, but at the end of the day do what's right for you and LO. Our healthcare provider (naturopath) recommended breastfeeding as long as it makes sense for us to (she preferred through this winter to give baby as much extra immune support as possible) then to introduce goat milk and if tolerated progress to cows milk. She said cows milk can be too much for some babies and goat milk is easier on the tummy and can be a good transition. Just my two cents, hope it's helpful! 
    THIS.
  • I still nurse at night and in the morning but we only do a little cows milk. Not every time, but she probably gets about 3-6 ounces a day. She gets water a lot and sometimes watered down juice. I don't aim for a specific amount. Just whatever is in hand. Milk is usually a given at breakfast but not always other meals.