Cloth Diapering

Severe Diaper Rash?

Anyone had any experience with bad diaper rash with cloth diapers? My LO has redness all over with red bumps in patches. If it doesn't get better I'll be contacting her pediatrician. But in the mean time, what do you ladies use to fight diaper rash? How do you protect the diapers?

Re: Severe Diaper Rash?

• My LO gets this sometimes, and the pediatrician says it's a heat rash. We just put a little rash cream on and it goes away quickly.
     You can use just about any rash cream, provided you use a liner (we use Bummis liners). However, there are some supposedly cloth-safe rash creams.
    We use California Baby and have had no problems with absorbency in our cotton, but I know some others haven't been as fortunate. 

However, depending on how it looks, it could also be yeast. LO has had a yeast infection twice (due to my being on antibiotics). If it doesn't go away with a good rash cream, I'd definitely call the pediatrician. If it's yeast, you'd definitely need liners or switch to disposables for the time being. Nystatin cream is not cloth-friendly. :) 
  • We loved Grovia Magic Stick for minor rashes. Grandma El's for the more stubborn ones.

Also, lots of air time. And a bit of baking soda in the bath can be soothing.

If you want to be more proactive, most rashes can be pinned down to wetness sensitivity, acidic diet, teething, or inadequately cleaned diapers (ammonia). If it's yeast rash you'll also need to treat your diapers.

• Loading the player...
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    My baby hasn't had a diaper rash. I use burt's bees. 
  • The only rash my daughter has gotten is when her diaper isn't changed frequently enough and her pee basically gives her a burn. Everyone is much more consciousness about it and it hasn't happened again. 
  • Thanks for the advice ladies! Her rash was absolutely terrible the next day and we ended up taking her to see the ped. Said it was a bacterial infection from a diaper rash, gave us an ointment and it is all cleared up now! ☺
  • When it comes to diaper rash, I personally used  Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment.