July 2016 Moms

Support/Tips for colicky/fussy/gassy babies

2»

Re: Support/Tips for colicky/fussy/gassy babies

• @KASG It seems like my LO is just fussy too. She has brief periods of calm when she's not eating usually when we're playing with her or she just woke up but other than that it seems like she wants to be nursing all the time. And she does the hunger cues all the time too but she's gaining well and has plenty of wet diapers. She's 7 weeks. I have no idea what's up.
  • @KASG lots of people have told me about the growth spurts at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am pretty sure LO has colic.  She cries from 4-7 every night. I tried to feed her this evening thinking it may be cluster feeding...nope! She clawed and screamed every time.  I was able to settle her finally with a tight swaddle, binky, dark room,  and white noise.  So now I am venturing down the path of over stimulation as well, which they say is a part of colic. Anyone else's LO have these crying spells at the same time every day? 
  • KASG said:
    I think my LO is just in a fussy stage. My mom swears she's hungry but I feel like I feed her all. the. time. The usual things that had been working don't seem to calm her anymore. She only calms while nursing. She's not actively feeding but just on the boob and as soon as it comes out, she's back to screaming.

ETA she is only 3.5 weeks old. Tell me it's a phase. Please.
    This was my little A at 3.5 weeks. To a T. I kept letting her "nurse", but it was taking a toll on my body. I "caved" and gave her a pacifier. It was life-changing. She's still nursing just fine, so we haven't experienced any nipple confusion. She'll be 6 weeks tomorrow.
  • mrsmommya said:
    I am pretty sure LO has colic.  She cries from 4-7 every night. I tried to feed her this evening thinking it may be cluster feeding...nope! She clawed and screamed every time.  I was able to settle her finally with a tight swaddle, binky, dark room,  and white noise.  So now I am venturing down the path of over stimulation as well, which they say is a part of colic. Anyone else's LO have these crying spells at the same time every day? 
    Yes, called the pedi on call and took my son in to talk to our pedi, basically said it was colic and there is nothing you can do but ride it out and sooth the best way you can. It can appear at 3 weeks and peak at 6 weeks. Can go till their 3 months because that's when their bodies start to mature with passing gas and pooping. We had a shift from 8:30-11:00pm starting at 3 weeks, did every over the counter thing(gripe water and colic calm), swear the only time colic calm worked was because of the chamomile and he was so tired from crying. We then started using the mommy bliss probiotics and his crying only goes from 8:30-9:00pm every night on the dot. It's not colic anymore it's basically him letting off steam. Does he still cry sometimes while trying to pass gas? Yes, but he also doesn't wake himself up when it happens now. He also poops once a day with no issues. At a point I know he wasn't drinking out of his bottle because he was hungry but sucking do help distract himself from trying to pass gas so he has a paci. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting past 6 weeks and telling yourself it could be worse, they could have colic all day and night.

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Just posting to say that I'm entering week 5 tomorrow and I'm exhausted. Sometimes you can't please the LOs but I wish it wasn't at 1 am. My neighbors probably hate me and I'm starting to feel like a failure. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel again??
  • mntnmummntnmum member
    edited August 2016
    @Brittnic531 I am taking the probiotic capsules. I cut out dairy (my favorite thing) to see if it helps the gas or reflux, so no yogurt.

@setosh we are halfway through week 6 and had one of our best days today after one of our worst days yesterday. I hang on for these days and know there will just be more to come as our LOs grow and get out of this phase. Of course I'm writing this as my DD sits upright on me after refluxing over and over in her crib
  • I'm still up. It's 3 am and he's only slept for 30 mins in the past 6 hours. @mntnmum I hope better days are ahead!
  • LO is only comfortable and able to sleep when his back is a bit curved (either upright or semi upright) as soon as I lay him down, he's up crying and straining to pass gas. This leaves me sleeping in a chair and DH is furious. He refuses to believe there is a problem dispite my saying there is one for a week. Going to try a suppository tomorrow see if I can jump start LOs system as he just started the no sleeping thing this week. Also calling doc on Monday about probiotics and a LC to see if there are latch issues. 

think his "witching hour" is really just exhaustion. removing all stimulation seems to calm him down and then he'll sleep for several hours. 
  • @thepen15ismighty See my DD doesn't seem to have trouble with bowel movements and farts often so that is why I think it is related more to over stimulation and reflux. Are these probiotics something over the counter that you take? Worth a shot?! My new plan is to nurse her at her 4 pm feeding in her dark room and just plan to get her quiet time ready and see if I can be proactive about this time. 
  • mrsmommya said:
    @thepen15ismighty See my DD doesn't seem to have trouble with bowel movements and farts often so that is why I think it is related more to over stimulation and reflux. Are these probiotics something over the counter that you take? Worth a shot?! My new plan is to nurse her at her 4 pm feeding in her dark room and just plan to get her quiet time ready and see if I can be proactive about this time. 
    It's over the counter, I got mommy bliss at Walgreens. It gets easier after week 6. We're at 8 and my son puts himself down for naps now. He did it yesterday on his changing pad of all places. 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Ladies suffering with colic, my friends LO had terrible colic and she swears by the drops Gerber Soothe. She says it saved her during those months. 
  • These probiotic drops...when do you give them? And just once a day? 

@thepen15ismighty
    @tennisbabymama
  • Also did any ask their pedi or just gave them?
  • @mrsmommya my pedi mentioned them, but said she doesn't think we're at that point yet. But she did mention them to me. Also, bacteria good and bad go through breastmilk, so if you take probiotics, it will benefit LO. :smile:
  • edited August 2016
    Yes we asked the pedi,again as I explained in my long paragraph that apparently some didn't bother to read and ask the exact same question. it's when you do everything else and nothing is working. You give them once a day. I just had my son pass gas next to me and go right back to sleep for his nap. 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• @thepen15ismighty so glad the probiotics are working for you! I've started taking them for me (hoping they'll help LO as a biproduct). I'm also going to see a LC. I'm pretty sure DS is sucking air while nursing. ::fingerscrossed:: 

Go easy on the other mommas. I'm pretty sure we're all still sleep deprived and just want to make sure we understand everything and give our LOs the best care possible. :smiley:
  • @kellz14 LOL, probably another result of sleep deprivation. Go ahead and sass away. =P
  • edited August 2016
    No sas, you can just tell that some are not reading from the first page of this thread, which would show information being repeated a lot. I could just say, you all are screwed till the babies are 3 months and have a decent digestive system, how helpful would that be? 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Actually, I appreciate that honesty. Makes me feel like less of a failure as a mother. :smiley:
  • FTM53 said:
    Actually, I appreciate that honesty. Makes me feel like less of a failure as a mother. :smiley:
    You'd be the few then. 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• No sas, you can just tell that some are not reading from the first page of this thread, which would show information being repeated a lot. I could just say, you all are screwed till the babies are 3 months and have a decent digestive system, how helpful would that be? 
    Hehe! This is basically what my pedi told me yesterday.  I didn't bring up the probiotics because I figured he would suggest them if he thought they would help.  He basically told me I was very lucky with DD1 that she was so easy and now with DD2 she is just a normal baby...crabby sometimes.  Sorry about that!

I am going to get her a bouncer seat because she does respond well to bouncing during that time. 
  • mrsmommya said:
    No sas, you can just tell that some are not reading from the first page of this thread, which would show information being repeated a lot. I could just say, you all are screwed till the babies are 3 months and have a decent digestive system, how helpful would that be? 
    Hehe! This is basically what my pedi told me yesterday.  I didn't bring up the probiotics because I figured he would suggest them if he thought they would help.  He basically told me I was very lucky with DD1 that she was so easy and now with DD2 she is just a normal baby...crabby sometimes.  Sorry about that!

I am going to get her a bouncer seat because she does respond well to bouncing during that time. 
    Or try baby squats, that motion helps mine. He also is the type that likes his head rocked back and forth.

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Just to share our experience, our baby was getting very gassy after transitioning to being on mostly formula. We put her on Similac sensitive and the pedi also suggested gripe water. A few weeks later, she developed reflux as well so now was crying and being super fussy on top of just normal spitting up. Our pedi prescribed us Zantac and the Gerber Soothe drops. We tried the Zantac for two weeks and it never really improved, but didn't get worse either. We switched to OTC prevacid that we break apart and put in her bottle once a day. I think it has helped more with her reflux but her gas/bloated stomach was still a problem and she was also get constipated a couple times a week. We did lots of warm baths and even gave a little prune juice in her bottle which helped with that. Now for the past week, we found that Gerber makes a formula called Gerber Soothe (to compliment the Gerber Soothe drops) and her hardly gets a bloated stomach anymore! It's so nice that she doesn't seem to be in pain over it anymore and overall her spit up/reflux has improved. Only weird thing now is after being on the Gerber Soothe for ~1 week, her poop has turned super thick and a charcoal gray color. It looked bizarre but is normal. 

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker