January 2017 Moms

Well shit.

I am in my BFs wedding in about 6.5 weeks. I bought my dress in mid March before I was pregnant. This pregnancy was a happy accident (we weren't trying, but not preventing either). I just got my dress and it won't even zip. To date, I've gained less than 10 pounds, but I'm a belly and boob gainer, so yeah, it doesn't fit.

It's very flow-y and empire waisted, so I assumed I'd be fine, but no. Am I totally screwed? Is sewing extra fabric in a thing?

My BF is totally chill and is just like, "Don't worry, we'll make it work," but I am still worried. 
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Well shit.

• When my bridesmaids got their dresses, we were told by the manager at Alfred Angelo that they could be altered 2 sizes up or down.  I remember this was kind of a big deal because my one bridesmaid was a size 14 bust and a size 6 waist so while her dress definitely needed alterations, she was thankfully perfectly sized so that those alterations would work.  Her dress looked amazing after it was done! So, yes, you should be able to have it altered, to some degree, especially if you got it from a bridal store because they anticipate alterations being necessary.
  • Ahh what a pain! It should be possible to take the dress out a bit by adding fabric on either side of the zipper. I actually had to do this with a bridesmaid dress last year because I stupidly ordered the wrong size and it was final sale, and when it showed up there was no way it was zipping around my chest. I had to have the dress shortened too, so the seamstress just used the extra fabric from the bottom in the back. You could definitely tell if you looked closely that my dress had been altered, but let's be honest, how many people are really paying attention to the back of a bridesmaid's dress? If you don't have extra fabric from your own dress you can ask another bridesmaid, or else possibly get some remnants from the store/dress manufacturer. 

I'd wait a bit longer to do the alterations, though, in case you grow some more ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • @karaelaine1991 oh man that makes me feel better! Hopefully they can do something that will work for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • karaelaine1991 said:
    When my bridesmaids got their dresses, we were told by the manager at Alfred Angelo that they could be altered 2 sizes up or down.  I remember this was kind of a big deal because my one bridesmaid was a size 14 bust and a size 6 waist so while her dress definitely needed alterations, she was thankfully perfectly sized so that those alterations would work.  Her dress looked amazing after it was done! So, yes, you should be able to have it altered, to some degree, especially if you got it from a bridal store because they anticipate alterations being necessary.
    Is this a typo?!

BabyFetus Ticker

• @emy730 my SIL had a bridesmaid who needed her dress altered to be larger and the bridal shop was able to do it no problem.  I hope you have an easy experience with the alterations!

BabyFetus Ticker

• karaelaine1991 said:
    When my bridesmaids got their dresses, we were told by the manager at Alfred Angelo that they could be altered 2 sizes up or down.  I remember this was kind of a big deal because my one bridesmaid was a size 14 bust and a size 6 waist so while her dress definitely needed alterations, she was thankfully perfectly sized so that those alterations would work.  Her dress looked amazing after it was done! So, yes, you should be able to have it altered, to some degree, especially if you got it from a bridal store because they anticipate alterations being necessary.
    Is this a typo?!
    Haha not a typo! And she has never had any work done, either!
  • I'm getting my bridesmaid dress let out at the top and hemming it for a wedding on 9/8 this Saturday. Same as you, won't zip all the way up and no way in hell I'm spending another $165 on a dress size up just to have it zip up for one night. The alterations lady said that if fabric can't be added on both sides of the zipper she could also put in a tie system that laces up towards the top and have zipper go up until it stops.
  • My mother altered a bridesmaid dress for me last time I was pregnant by adding stretchy panels on each side.  The dress was a nightmare to alter, but if it could be altered, any dress can.  It had a bubble hem and was super unflattering, but it got the job done.  Here's an awful picture where you can see some of the paneling she put in the side.  Doing it that way meant she didn't have to mess with the zipper.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • All of these posts are easing my anxiety! I'm going to call the bridal
    shop in the morning and see what they can do for me. If it's going to be insanely pricey, I'll ask my coworker who was a garment seamstress for many years if she can help at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Fwiw I just went to a local dry cleaner / tailor. My dress was from J Crew and they don't do alterations anyway, but I also didn't really care about the quality of the work since I knew I'd never wear the dress again anyway. 
  • Like @BrennansMom2012 suggested, would it be possible (and economical) to convert the back into a corset style? That way you wouldn't have to worry as much about your belly continuing to grow after you get the alterations done.
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ha yeah, I got a dress at 5 weeks pregnant for a wedding scheduled for when I would be 39 weeks pregnant. I was a size 6 and they ordered a size 18. Is it from David's bridal? They are incredibly helpful in these situations, and deal with this a lot. 
  • @ThePax89 No, it's from a local shop.

I called this morning and the lady was super helpful. She said it shouldn't be a big deal, or too expensive to just add in a panel. She's going to call me on Monday and help me get the details worked out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited August 2016
    @emy730 if it is a popular style/size can you ask to exchange it? My dress was $250 in alterations alone. 
  • ThePax89 said:
    @emy730 if it is a popular style/size can you ask to exchange it? My dress was $250 in alterations alone. 
    Oh if that's the case, I'll have my coworker see what she can do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My SILS was 24w at my wedding. She had the back made into a corset style tie up back so that she had some flexibility with sizing.  
  • I just went through this for my SIL's wedding. Just be careful and make sure that you trust your alteration place. Mine told me they would just need to add in an extra panel in the back and would remove the zipper and put in a snap at the top. I went in to try it on and she put a full on corset in the back. I hated it but had zero time to take it somewhere else to get it fixed. I was livid! It did not fit well at all after that and it looked drastically different from all the other bridesmaids. I crossing my fingers that you have a wonderful place, which I'm sure you do :smile:
     Just wanted to share my version of going through this. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Pumpkin Spice Gone to Far| Jan '17 September Siggy Challenge

• Depending on the bride, the dress, and the color, you could add a corset closure instead of the zipper. Depending on what all you end up having altered make sure you find out cost because some alterations could end up costing the price of a new dress.

Pregnancy Ticker