June 2016 Moms

Neck exercises!

We were instructed on a couple to do since Levi likes to hold to one side over the other.  He pretty much hates them!  I try to do them in front of a mirror or on his playmat and try to keep it fun.  We are only a couple days in so I think it will get better.  For those doing this, how long did it take to see results?

Re: Neck exercises!

• I took my second to a chiropractor 
  • What are the exercises?  Preston is tight on his left side and I'm thinking of taking him in.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going to ask our ped on Thursday about it. Damien favors his left side and as a result, his head is noticeably flat in that area.
  • I need to start doing these too, Everly looks to the right all the time and sleeps with her head to the right. I tried gentle stretching her neck this afternoon and could tell she hated it torticollis sucks!
  • Damien saves his big stretch for when I pick him up from his crib/rnp/play yard and he holds this odd stretch position until I put him up by my shoulder. I have dubbed it "Duck Pose" because he looks like a little duck with the way his legs are tucked under him, his back is arched and chest puffed out, and arms tucked in too. Cutest little moment ever!

Just thought I'd share, anyone else's kiddo do that too?
  • Damien saves his big stretch for when I pick him up from his crib/rnp/play yard and he holds this odd stretch position until I put him up by my shoulder. I have dubbed it "Duck Pose" because he looks like a little duck with the way his legs are tucked under him, his back is arched and chest puffed out, and arms tucked in too. Cutest little moment ever!

Yup! Preston always arches and tucks when we pick him up under the arms.  If I support his butt he won't do it.  He does that stretch when he wakes up and is still laying down too. Looks like a little old man.
  • Oh my gosh this is my favorite! You're right she looks like huey dewey & louie :)
  • Levi does as well!  He was more tolerant of the stretches today.  I try to do them between every feeding but haven't been super successful so far.  Working up to it.  

I call it my DS's "scrunch" I will miss that when he stops doing it. I already miss all his grunts that sounded a bit like Beavis, from Beavis and Butt head, laughing. 

I call it my DS's "scrunch" I will miss that when he stops doing it. I already miss all his grunts that sounded a bit like Beavis, from Beavis and Butt head, laughing. 

I miss those too. We called him a Billy goat cause of those sounds.
  • I thought I'd hare the exercises/stretches thatbthe physical therapist has Damien and I doing each day. He favors his left so keep that in mind when looking over it. The stretch written at the bottom is where he straddles my leg, facing me, and I gently turn his head to the right and press him against my chest. My right hand is on his head and my left is pressing the right side of his upper back. He haaates this stretch so I always save it for the end of tummy time. 

The infamous stretch:

The therapist assured me that he wasn't in pain, he is just not loving being restrained. It breaks my heart to do the stretch but I know it's good for him.
  • Good job mommy keep up the good work. He will thank u later.
  • Damien had his follow-up physical therapy appointment today and she is very happy with how he is progressing. She gave us some new stretches and exercises to add to the rest of them. 

She noted that Damien loves to bounce now and said that we should make sure that he is using his whole foot and not just the balls of his feet. We've been laying down a a folded blanket for tha purpose already (that was what she mentioned doing today so she was glad we were already doing it) but it was interesting to hear that not doing so results in a tendency to walk on the balls of your feet. Didn't know that!