June 2016 Moms

Bed time?

edited August 2016 in June 2016 Moms
I know some of the routines have been discussed on here but wondering something.  So, we do a bottle, then bath/wipe down, jammies and book.  This all happens between 6:30-7:30.  My question...should I be putting him in his crib "for the night" then?  Only asking bc if he stays in the living room with us, even if he is asleep most of that time, I can usually get him to take another few ounces around 9:30-10 and then put him in crib and he will sleep until 4:30-5 ish. This works great time wise for when I go back to work in just over a week. I'm wondering if by putting him down for the night at 7 or so will have him up more around 2.  I guess this is a selfish post but wondering how you all, especially those back to work, are handling this.  

Re: Bed time?

• i think you should test it out and put him to bed and see how long he sleeps. My LO goes down around 7/7:30 and wakes between 4/5 lately. She just turned 12 weeks, but she's been my best sleeper so far out of 3. It's okay to be selfish about sleep we don't get it like we use to. When I was working after I had my boys it was more about what worked for our schedules or at least it just seemed to be that way. The boys are night owls and our first would stay up late no matter what and sleep till 9am. He was not a good sleeper till about four but keeps getting better and turned six over the summer. I think if you find something that works for you all that's what matters, but you may try putting him to bed around 6:30-7:30 and see how long he sleeps. Maybe he'll surprise you! 
  • Our LO is about the same at @rlbrooks84.  She goes down between 7 and 8 pm, wakes around 2 or so for a bottle and then again between 6 and 8 am.  Morning wake up is a little different depending on her but it works for us because if she gets up before 7, I have time to take care of her in the morning.  If she wakes up between 7 and 8, DH takes care of her so I can get ready for work.  He doesn't work until 9:45 at the earliest so he does the morning and I normally do the night time stuff.

I think a trial is worth it if you think it might work better.  We really didn't change up things until she went from sleeping 4 hours at a time to sleeping 5-6 hours at a time.  When it was every 4 it didn't really matter.  Whatever works for you is best.  Give it a try and good luck.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds to me like you're doing a dream feed. I say of you wanna put him in the crib go for it then go in and feed him those few ounces before you go to bed.  I know there are some breastfeeding moms that do that all the time.  
  • Sounds to me like you're doing a dream feed. I say of you wanna put him in the crib go for it then go in and feed him those few ounces before you go to bed.  I know there are some breastfeeding moms that do that all the time.  
    That's what I do before I go to bed. It takes some convincing some nights to get her to latch because  she's not awake. Hopefully it will be easier with a bottle.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • edited August 2016
    I would put her in her crib when she goes down for the night. What I've started doing is a later nap so I've been able to move her bed time about an hour later. So she's staying up till about 830 now, I have lights out  by 10 so I don't feel like I'm loosing to much of her good stretch of sleep.
  • He did good last night so I guess I will continue and see how it goes.  I will have to be out the door no later than 6:30am to drop off at daycare since I have to be at work by 7:15!  I've got one more week to get our act together!
  • Maybe switch your bottle and bath. My routine starts at 8 and we do bath for 20 mins with the nighttime bath wash by aveeno and then same aveeno nighttime lotion jammies and a bottle. She's asleep by 9 and out til between 5-6. We make sure to be lights out going to sleep by 10. Works great and she's been successfully doing this bedtime routine since 3 weeks old but has just in the last 2 weeks started going all night. Before she would wake between 1-2 and go right back to sleep after a few oz and a clean diaper. 
  • I'm probably doing bath too early.  I'll try to shift it all a little later and skip the "dream feed" and see how that goes.
  • alcermack said:
    Maybe switch your bottle and bath. My routine starts at 8 and we do bath for 20 mins with the nighttime bath wash by aveeno and then same aveeno nighttime lotion jammies and a bottle. She's asleep by 9 and out til between 5-6. We make sure to be lights out going to sleep by 10. Works great and she's been successfully doing this bedtime routine since 3 weeks old but has just in the last 2 weeks started going all night. Before she would wake between 1-2 and go right back to sleep after a few oz and a clean diaper. 

She went from waking at 1-2 to going till 5?! Lucky you. I'd kill for that!  Preston did like 3-4 for a while and on occasion till 5, now he's back to 2.
  • Levi decided after his 7:30 bottle to go down for the night.  Just tried to see if he would rouse by checking diaper and putting sleep sack on but no dice.  Oh well.   I'm.heading to bed now assuming I'll be up around 2
  • Levi decided after his 7:30 bottle to go down for the night.  Just tried to see if he would rouse by checking diaper and putting sleep sack on but no dice.  Oh well.   I'm.heading to bed now assuming I'll be up around 

stupid box
    how's it going with the sleeping? 
  • edited August 2016
    Omg he slept until 5am!  So other than the other night where was up at 2, he's been sleeping until 4-5 with bed times varying from 8-10.  I worried for nothing.  I was up before he was checking on him!
    Edited to add he is 8 weeks.
  • Omg he slept until 5am!  So other than the other night where was up at 2, he's been sleeping until 4-5 with bed times varying from 8-10.  I worried for nothing.  I was up before he was checking on him!
    Edited to add he is 8 weeks.
     That's awesome. I think Preston is starting to strech them out again. I got 5 hours last night I'm aiming for like 3-4 am wakeup time cause then he won't need to get up again till I'm already awake after 7.  He was blessing me with that for a while and it was the best!!  Last night was sucky cause I didn't wake DH cause his back has been bothering him and of course I go in and Preston's diaper leaked for the first time ever and he and his sheets were soaked.  I just put a blanket over the sheets and put him in a onsie but then I realized, once he was already on the table, that all my nighttime cloth diapers were out in the living room.  I said screw it and put him in a disposable I found in the drawer.
  • I think our night times are working great it's our nap times I'm struggling with.  He sleeps perfect all night in his crib without fussing....but so far will almost never nap during the day unless he's on his tummy on me.  I just spent over half hour trying to put him down in pack n play.  Put him down, wails bloody murder and flails around (but since he was born has always hated swaddles), but the instant I pick him up he's asleep....over and over.  I'm really trying to let him fuss a little to see if he'll soothe himself but I'll still pick him up after a minute or two bc at 8 weeks I don't think they can legitimately"cry it out" yet.  BUT, he starts daycare next week and I know hey put them in cribs in a dark room for naps....that will NOT go over well.  He has never napped in a dark room during the day since from the beginning I wanted him to know day from night.  I guess I'm more nervous about how daycare is going to be than anything.  I really wish he would nap....   
  • I think our night times are working great it's our nap times I'm struggling with.  He sleeps perfect all night in his crib without fussing....but so far will almost never nap during the day unless he's on his tummy on me.  I just spent over half hour trying to put him down in pack n play.  Put him down, wails bloody murder and flails around (but since he was born has always hated swaddles), but the instant I pick him up he's asleep....over and over.  I'm really trying to let him fuss a little to see if he'll soothe himself but I'll still pick him up after a minute or two bc at 8 weeks I don't think they can legitimately"cry it out" yet.  BUT, he starts daycare next week and I know hey put them in cribs in a dark room for naps....that will NOT go over well.  He has never napped in a dark room during the day since from the beginning I wanted him to know day from night.  I guess I'm more nervous about how daycare is going to be than anything.  I really wish he would nap....   
     Actually, making his room dark for naps was when Preston started going down easier (not sleeping longer but whatever).  The separation of day and night really means separation of sleep and awake.  Basically making interactions at night quiet and business only and during the day allow for talking and smiles during diaper changing and feedings. They actually recommend nap routines resemble a mini version of bedtime so they know it means "I'm supposed to sleep now"
  • @StayingFocused most babies hate the initial swaddling but then get comfortable and it really does help with napping especially when they just can't seem to get calmed down. Have you tried the swaddleme brand of swaddlers? I do love them for how simple they are and how well they keep her arms contained. She used to hate swaddling but now seems to associate it with being comfortable so didn't refuse it anymore. She also used to hate being wrapped on me in the Moby but has started to understand again that it means something comfortable is coming so she fusses less in the beginning.