April 2017 Moms

Sneak Peek

Is anyone planning on taking one of these mail-in sex determination tests? Or know someone who has? I've always been one of those people who just HAS to know (no preference except that we don't have any boy names picked out) as soon as possible so I'm tempted despite the price tag. 

https://sneakpeektest.com/

Re: Sneak Peek

• I honestly think they are really stupid. There will be plenty of time to organize and do stuff if you wait until 20 weeks. I will definitely be finding out then. But, spending a bunch of money to find out early is totally a waste. Save it for diapers. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The impatient side of me is all "Yes! Tell me now!", but the practical part of me goes "Whoa! That is expensive!"

I don't think its available in Canada, but I would probably skip it even if it was. We'll find out in 3 months and that isn't really that long of a wait.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't even know this was a thing. We are Team Greem so definitely not doing it. But I seriously didn't know this was an option. Maybe it isn't in Canada...
  • Dannylion24Dannylion24 member
    edited August 2016
    @stm2017 tonight was the first I've ever heard of such a thing as well which is why I had to ask for opinions/experience! The website says 2016 so it must be brandnew. And I serious think team green mommas have so much willpower ... Most of my family does it that way, but I just never can!

Edit: autocorrect fail
  • Keep in mind this wouldn't be able to tell you anything if you've ever been pregnant with a boy before.
  • @Squiddly that occurred to me when I first saw the advertisement, but according to their FAQs a previous male pregnancy has no effect on the accuracy. 
  • I don't know what this is. How much does it cost? And why would a previous male pregnancy affect anything? 

I realize I could google, but let's assume for a moment that other people reading this are in the same boat as me. 
    edited August 2016
    @leslieknope it's $80 for the regular speed test results (5-7 days) and $150 for rapid results (72 hour turnaround). Seems like you just get the test kit in he mail, prick your finger, mail out and get an email w the results. The idea is that the test detects the presence of male DNA so I think the PP was assuming that once you have a male pregnancy the DNA would always be there, therefore interfering with the current results, but the test FAQs indicate that previous male pregnancy does not effect accuracy. 

Edit; forgot a line.
  • I just feel like there are a bunch of other ways to find out before 20 weeks that don't cost nearly as much, including your first trimester screen (should you choose to get it) or a 3D/4D ultrasound. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Eh for $80 say go for it if you want to. 

But im opting out of my dr's 16 week $50 sex scan and waiting for the 20 week anatomy scan, so it's not something I would do personally. 
    edited August 2016
    @kcasset and @leslieknope Yeah in my particular situation most likely insurance isn't going to cover the first trimester screening and it's about $100 to do the 17+ week 'jack or jill' ultrasound at the private ultrasound place near me so this is a less expensive/much earlier option. I'm still on the fence, but I told my mom and now she's hounding me to do it, lol. So impatience must run in the family bc I'm always chomping at the bit to know, too. My sister is also preg and 2 weeks ahead of me and she will know this week bc she did the screening so that's adding incentive.

edit: hit post too soon. wording. 
  • @kcasset what are the other ways to find out before 20 weeks? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor does an ultra sound at every appointment up til about 24 weeks so we found out around 15 weeks last time just because, no extra charges or tests. I'm sure it will be the same this time so I wouldn't spend the extra money on this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Dannylion24 - got it.  We were in the same boat last time with our insurance for the screening.  I do know there is other blood work that can be done that can pick it up as well.  I'm not sure what the "order" for that test is, but I've had friends find out that way. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @SuperKristy85 - 3D/4D scans or the first-trimester screen requires an u/s and blood work

BabyFruit Ticker

• we found out last time at 11 weeks with the Maternity 21 test for AMA, I am thinking we are doing that again
  • We are not going to do any blood test like that.

We are going to do an early Gender Ultrasound at an elective facility. It offers a package for like less than $200 that will include two 3d/4d ultrasound sessions. The first session is at 15 weeks the second is around 30 weeks. We did it with DD and we loved it. :) They give you a DVD of each session and you get a ton of pictures. We kept all from DD, and will do the same with Baby #2. 

April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• bluthsbananasbluthsbananas member
    edited August 2016
    I say go for it if you have $80 to spare. I've spent $80 on much more frivolous things in my life!

I'm pretty certain my ob office does an early blood test which will tell the sex and screen for abnormalities. I plan to do that because I'm like you @Dannylion24, I want to know ASAP! So I think I'll be able to find out around 10-11 weeks. Fingers crossed!

ETA: In both of my previous pregnancies, I did the traditional first trimester screening with the ultrasound and blood draws. The ultrasound techs wouldn't even venture a guess that early for me. It's funny how some techs will and some techs won't. 

• SquiddlySquiddly member
    edited August 2016
    Research suggests if you've been pregnant before, you carry that child's DNA with you always, despite what this website says. 

Here's a general summary, though it is not primary research: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/babys-cells-can-manipulate-moms-body-decades-180956493/?no-ist

• Eh, it seems like a waste of money, and there were several ladies in my old BMB that got incorrect results (pretty much everyone who took it said it was wrong).

Also, the point of the Maternity21 and other genetic screens is to see if your baby might have some disabilites/issues at birth...and not really for you to find out the gender for funsies.

And nothing begins to develop before 14 weeks at the earliest, so that's why your US techs won't usually make a guess.
  • Eh, it seems like a waste of money, and there were several ladies in my old BMB that got incorrect results (pretty much everyone who took it said it was wrong).

Also, the point of the Maternity21 and other genetic screens is to see if your baby might have some disabilites/issues at birth...and not really for you to find out the gender for funsies.

And nothing begins to develop before 14 weeks at the earliest, so that's why your US techs won't usually make a guess.
    Obviously. 

• @SnarkasaurusRex I understand what you mean about the first trimester screening and always figured that finding out the sex early was just an added bonus with it (if you choose to even find out). In all my pregnancies I've never had any of the screenings done either out of lack of desire or lack of insurance coverage. If I order this test I figure I'm going to treat it like harmless fun, I'll find out for sure most likely at the anatomy scan, and if the company is inaccurate with their determination I just send them a scan of the birth certificate for a refund. I have two girls and two boys already and am pretty stocked up so I'm not looking to buy a bunch of gender specific clothes or room decorations extra early or anything. I just like knowing.
  • Squiddly said:
    Research suggests if you've been pregnant before, you carry that child's DNA with you always, despite what this website says. 

Here's a general summary, though it is not primary research: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/babys-cells-can-manipulate-moms-body-decades-180956493/?no-ist

I read that article a few months back and it made me smile to think of the fact that you always carry a bit of your child around :) I'm assuming this company must have a way to account for that, or there is a threshold by which they can determine if the DNA is residual or active. If I did it and they are wrong I certainly wouldn't hesitate to request a refund since they do make the 'guarantee'!
  • @SnarkasaurusRex I understand what you mean about the first trimester screening and always figured that finding out the sex early was just an added bonus with it (if you choose to even find out). In all my pregnancies I've never had any of the screenings done either out of lack of desire or lack of insurance coverage. If I order this test I figure I'm going to treat it like harmless fun, I'll find out for sure most likely at the anatomy scan, and if the company is inaccurate with their determination I just send them a scan of the birth certificate for a refund. I have two girls and two boys already and am pretty stocked up so I'm not looking to buy a bunch of gender specific clothes or room decorations extra early or anything. I just like knowing.
    So well worded!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I would rather pay $115 and do a full genetic work up to see if my child has any chromosomal abnormalities and get to find out the sex as a bonus. 
  • @blackasnight do you know which test this was? We recently had a very sad situation in the family which has revised my feelings somewhat on whether I would want to be prepared early if there were any issues, but insurance isn't going to cover screening for me this time around and pricing seemed to be $250+ just in what I was seeing for out of pocket myself. 

Obviously. 

Yes, obviously. My point in making that statement is in reference to the people who don't need and/or really care about the genetic screen part because the only reason they're going in for it is to find out the sex. It's not a sex test, despite the fact that some people treat it that way.
  • @SnarkasaurusRex
    Well for my part I didn't mean for this thread to 'call' anyone out as doing that - a few people responded that they wouldn't be interested in this test bc they were already finding out through the screenings ... I truly don't think this was meant to imply that they were using those screenings simply for the purpose of finding out their baby's sex. I mean, the actual purpose of the 20 week anatomy scan is a check for physical abnormalities and growth measurements, not just to find out boy or girl, but it doesn't detract from the importance of that scan if you are excited to find out what you're having, too.
    It sounds like you had a poor experience with waiting times during screenings and have been left out on a limb that is truly unfortunate and I'm very sorry that happened to you.

Ps: I also really like your screenname. 
  • @Dannylion24 I wasn't trying to call anyone out on this specific thread either. It was more of a generic statement that I think some people (on here and on the FFFC thread) took as me being judgmental, when it was really just intended to be a 'you do you, but that's kinda annoying for some people.' People who call the AS the 'gender ultrasound' annoy me, too, haha, but again, I'm not stopping anyone from doing what they want. I get that finding out the (likely) sex of your child is exciting, but to me, it's more exciting just to see a healthy baby. But again, that's just me.

I almost added a line at the bottom of my initial post saying that I wasn't trying to be a Debby Downer, and that my opinion was just that - an opinion that you can take or leave. I guess I should have. Oh well.

And thanks. :) I'm pretty fond of it, too.
  • @blackasnight do you know which test this was? We recently had a very sad situation in the family which has revised my feelings somewhat on whether I would want to be prepared early if there were any issues, but insurance isn't going to cover screening for me this time around and pricing seemed to be $250+ just in what I was seeing for out of pocket myself. 
    It is the Harmony test that is $115 our of pocket through my OB office. Last time we took the Panorama test and we paid nothing out of pocket. I think my OB office has a deal worked out with the companies as they choose one to offer to patients.

My office also offers the FirstTrimesterScreen blood test which tests for Down syndrome, Trisomy 18 and 13. I think my OB said that would be covered by our insurance.