September 2016 Moms
Options

Post Partum - Mental Health

There had been some discussion on doing a separate thread for PP mental health. Thought I'd throw it out there in case it might be useful. 

Getting used to having a LO (whether it's the 1st LO or the 5th) can be really hard and emotionally/mentally exhausting. How's everyone doing so far? Questions? Concerns? Things you need to get out in the open? 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Post Partum - Mental Health

• Options
    Not pp yet but I did talk to my doc today based on my history of depression and the PPD I think I had and didn't address last time.  He's on board with trying Meds and we decided to go with Zoloft first.  He said we can either discuss it at my 6 week pp visit if I'm doing ok or I can call anytime and come in early or he will call it in.  So, glad to be proactive about it this time! 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know what I have going on but I'm feeling major guilt about Fin having to come early because my body essentially failed him. He's doing just fine which I am so tremendously thankful for because if he wasn't I would go off the deep end in guilt. I think I need to go to therapy for this because every time I think about it or someone mentions "well, he should be hanging out in the womb right now!" I feel like either slapping them or breaking down in tears. 

Besides that I was more on edge the first two weeks post partum. I felt just off. Like I wasn't grounded or the dust hadn't settled. I don't think it's anxiety but more like...out of body experiences? Hormones are some crazy stuff. 
  • Options
    ashtasht member
    I don't know what I have going on but I'm feeling major guilt about Fin having to come early because my body essentially failed him. He's doing just fine which I am so tremendously thankful for because if he wasn't I would go off the deep end in guilt. I think I need to go to therapy for this because every time I think about it or someone mentions "well, he should be hanging out in the womb right now!" I feel like either slapping them or breaking down in tears. 

Besides that I was more on edge the first two weeks post partum. I felt just off. Like I wasn't grounded or the dust hadn't settled. I don't think it's anxiety but more like...out of body experiences? Hormones are some crazy stuff. 
    Sounds like ppd, don't wait speak up.
  • Options
    I'm really happy to hear people are being proactive about their mental health after giving birth. Like @VeraMali I was too ashamed last time to speak up and it caused things to be much worse.

Apparently last night was my night to just absolutely loose it. DH put the big kids into bed and, by the time he came back downstairs, I was crying and all it took was him asking what was wrong for me to start bawling. And everything came out at once. I'm overwhelmed , I'm pulled in 10 different directions, DH goes back to work this weekend (which scares the living daylights out of me since this will leave me alone at night with all of the kids) and, to top it off, my parents are moving across the country at the end of September and I'm incredibly upset by it (the move is for a great reason, but it puts them back in MN while we're still in TX which leaves the closest family to us 8 hours away in El Paso).
    DH was great and held my hand while I cried and talked in circles about how I don't know how to cope. He let me take a hot bath and told me to lay down in bed. Next thing i knew, it was 4 am. And, while it feels good to get it out, it just puts all of those thoughts at the forefront of my mind.

@mom2adoodle - If you think that there's even a remote possibility that therapy would help, I say go for it. The people hate are saying that are obviously incredibly insensitive and have probably never had to go through what you are now. 

• Options
    I have a feeling this thread is going to be a huge lifesaver for me. Bless your heart @UnwritteN12 for starting it. And I'm so sorry you're feeling overwhelmed, I would be too in your place! I'm really glad your DH was there for you and is giving you support. I wish I could give you a big hug!!

I have battled depression on and off since I was 12; my father passed away quite suddenly and unfortunately we never really got the grief counselling we needed, and it just came in cycles after that. I don't handle change well either. I let my midwives know pretty early I'm prone to depression though so they got me hooked up with some amazing local resources, and I also have you ladies! DH is not so great with the feelings talk, but he knows the signs of me starting to slip back into that pattern of depression, and is great at recognizing them and bringing them to my attention in a way that doesn't make me defensive. So at least I know if I don't notice them right away, he will. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @UnwritteN12 yes thank you for starting this thread. I had some crazy ppd and didn't get enough help for it last time. Hopefully it will be easier for me, if not, I will need to see my counselor on a weekly (instead of monthly) basis. It will be very helpful having this thread too thanks!
  • Options
    Is PP rage a thing? I feel like it is. I had 10 things to pick up at the grocery and hubby dropped me off w baby so he could run a bunch of errands. I said I'd keep Victoria (he offered to take her) because he would be more efficient popping in and out of stores without toting the car seat. Plus, even though I had just fed and changed her, if she cried or needed something I could nurse her. 

So of course she's not happy and I take her out of her car seat and hold her while dragging the cart behind me. She is consolable so I figure I'm good. Lots of people in store are asking how old, etc. we live in Virginia which is southern enough for nobody to know a stranger.

This one lady has the nerve to tell me she's too young to take out of the house and ask why we're out. I gave her a fake smile and said we were hungry, so it made sense to go get groceries. Not taking the hint she says "ohhh you don't have any help" I'm assuming like I'm a single mom (or maybe that my spouse is deployed?) "if I lived by you I'd help you out so you wouldn't have to take your little tiny baby out". I wanted to burst in to tears and to bitch slap this lady. I did tear up a bit just because I was so taken aback and also bc I know slapping nosy ladies is wrong and I had to suppress that urge. I just walked away and of course this is at the beginning of my trip and I'm hoping to God I don't run in to this nut on another aisle. 

Yes my baby is small. Sure you might think it's too early to go out. NO NEED TO SHARE YOUR STUPID THOUGHTS WITH ME LADY! Ugh. And hearing about what somebody said to you @mom2adoodle makes me angry too. Definitely today's encounter did not help my blood pressure situation :neutral:
  • Options
    I'm so sorry @jensou! Strangers really need to keep their noses out of other people's business unless there asked for an opinion. If we didn't take our babies out of the house, we would never get anything done!! 
    Yes, PP rage is real. Thank you stupid people for giving me your opinions that I didn't ask for.

• Options
    Ah825Ah825 member
    edited August 2016
    Hi ladies! Haven't even had the baby yet and today I started to feel weird. Super anxious and depressed. I have bad depression and take 10 mg of celexa (citalopram) at the moment but I'm really struggling. Do hormones go crazy the last couple weeks or what? I'm so scared about everything.
  • Options
    I also feel like if my baby had any birth defects or neurological effects (like an increased chance to develop autism bc if the medication I'm taking) it will be all my fault. I don't know if I could handle it knowing it would be my fault. :(
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    @ah825 I've noticed I'm getting more anxious too as due date approaches. H's mom was over last night to finalize the plan for if I go into labour. She doesn't have a car but lives 2 minutes away and uses our spare. We decided we'd leave the car with her a week before due date so she can drive over for me if H is at work. Then I was like "wait, that's in a week from now. In 2 weeks I am birthing a human. I can't do this" and started to panic a bit. I don't have much advice since I'm going through this too, but I like @unwritten12's advice and we will get through this :)

@jensou I'm sorry that lady was so terrible to you! People don't understand it might also help US to get out of the house. Baby will be fine (as evidenced by your trip). what a terrible experience to have as your first trip out :(
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Glad to hear you talked over your feelings and concerns with your husband @Ah825 and I'm so happy he was supportive (why wouldn't he be?) I talked with my DH the other night about how I've been feeling and it made a world of difference for my anxiety. I think we are all just so close that it's normal to have jitters and be nervous! It's just good that talking to someone else can help! And to know that you're not alone. 
  • Options
    @jensou - just reading through this thread for the first time (not post-partum yet).  My rage last time really took me by surprise, I had the urge to scream often about things that didn't need to be taken so seriously. I was never worried for the well-being of myself or my child, otherwise I would have sought help sooner (Ended up needing meds and some counseling for PPA)... but I found myself getting more angry than usual and much faster than usual..  Keep an eye on it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not postpartum yet either but I just wanted to add that after the birth of DS1, I was fine for a while and then when he was 4 months old or so I felt like I had absolutely no energy, got totally overwhelmed over the slightest things (would cry about having to do laundry), and also had a general anxious feeling all the time. I also had some weird physical symptoms like I couldn't lose any weight no matter what I did and my nails were literally falling apart. I am a nurse and starting thinking, what if this could be my thyroid? I went to the doctor and my thyroid ended up being totally out of whack (normal tsh is around 1-3 and mine was 50.5!). I had severe hypothyroidism that I had developed postpartum. After I started on synthroid, I really saw a huge difference in my mood within a couple of weeks. I remember hypothyroidism and depression was brought up in another thread before but I just wanted to post this here! Getting your thyroid checked with a simple blood test is worth it IMO just to see if that could be the culprit! Postpartum hypothyroidism is more common than I thought!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the support and feedback ladies. I'm not sure if this is tied to my guilt over Fin's birth, etc but I am SO annoyed with DH sometimes. He's on paternity leave (he gets 12 weeks) and will only wake up at night if I go ask him to. To be fair, I haven't asked him to take a shift or anything..I am just expecting him to say "Ok, I'll get up at 4am so you can nap for 3 hours before pumping again" but he DOES NOT. His solution was to hire a night nurse some nights a week which is great. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful but a part of me is livid HE doesn't just step up. It would be more doable if he helped me and I don't like having to barge into our room (I sleep in the nursery for now) asking for help when Fin needs to eat and I'm in the middle of pumping. UGH. Hormones or what?
  • Options
    @AnnaS930 Thanks for your reply! Glad I'm not alone. I need to get better at vocalizing my needs. Very clearly. Like crystal clear to leave no room
    for error. Ha! I expect DH to think the way I do but I guess that's unreasonable and illogical. Sigh. Did your DH step up when you started being more vocal? I would have slapped DH if he said something about Fin not waking up while I was up all night!! Lol how did you refrain from doing so? 
  • Options
    @AnnaS930 Thanks for your reply! Glad I'm not alone. I need to get better at vocalizing my needs. Very clearly. Like crystal clear to leave no room
    for error. Ha! I expect DH to think the way I do but I guess that's unreasonable and illogical. Sigh. Did your DH step up when you started being more vocal? I would have slapped DH if he said something about Fin not waking up while I was up all night!! Lol how did you refrain from doing so? 
    Oh yes, my husband has always stepped up when I've asked him to.. and to be honest it's just our two personalities... he needs a bit of micromanaging. If I say "hey can you clean up the entry way?" he'll look around and think it's pretty good and ask what needs to be done, I need to tell him "Please bring the diapers upstairs, please arrange the shoes in the bench, please sweep, etc etc etc"  Intuitively we are very different people but he is extremely helpful when I do a little bit of micromanaging, and we both know that.

When I went back to work with Emmett, my husband was off on Tuesdays and was alone with E from 7:30-5:30 those days for almost the first year of his life.. I think that also helped a lot, giving him a chance to be the primary caregiver with me not around, he figured out his own way to do things (not always things that I'm thrilled about! ha!) made it more of a partnership in parenting versus me parenting and him helping.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ooooooh those husband comments would make me so mad!! H always did that with DD1. She didn't sleep through the night for the first 12 months of her life, but almost weekly, "she slept all night, didn't she?" F*ck no!!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies so much for this thread, it really helps to know I'm not alone!  This is my first baby, and my parents hounded me for a few weeks in the first trimester to stop taking my meds because I'd give my baby all sorts of mental disorders.  I told them it was none of their business and it was a medical decision between my doctors and myself, but I've been terrified ever since that if anything is wrong with my son, my family will place the blame solely on me.  My doctors and husband have all been watching closely for any signs of depression or anxiety, but I've been doing well (aside from a few periods of uncharacteristic super-rage...).  I stand by my decision to take care of my health as well as my baby's, and I guess only time will tell if I was right.  Here's hoping everyone has healthy babies and equally healthy postpartum recoveries!
  • Options
    Is this normal pregnancy hormones or this sounds extra?
    Last month FI got hurt and lost about a week of work and then he had a crazy allergic reaction and lost another week of work bc we were in and out of the hospital trying to treat it.
    He is our only income right now so losing 2 paychecks in a row really hurt, especially with the move.
    I budget every dollar of our money and yesterday I realized we went 40$ over budget for the week.
    I started crying so hard and I started freaking out that I was failing my child before he even arrived. It got so bad i was hyperventilating.
    Once I calmed down I felt so irrational and ridiculous that I flipped over so little and let it snowball like that. 

Is this just because im 38 weeks pregnant? 

I've had issues with anxiety in the past so I want to be aware of anything so I can keep everything under control. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Megan324 said:
    Is this normal pregnancy hormones or this sounds extra?
    Last month FI got hurt and lost about a week of work and then he had a crazy allergic reaction and lost another week of work bc we were in and out of the hospital trying to treat it.
    He is our only income right now so losing 2 paychecks in a row really hurt, especially with the move.
    I budget every dollar of our money and yesterday I realized we went 40$ over budget for the week.
    I started crying so hard and I started freaking out that I was failing my child before he even arrived. It got so bad i was hyperventilating.
    Once I calmed down I felt so irrational and ridiculous that I flipped over so little and let it snowball like that. 

Is this just because im 38 weeks pregnant? 

I've had issues with anxiety in the past so I want to be aware of anything so I can keep everything under control. 
    I think hormones probably play a part. I'm kind of in the same boat financially; we're living solely on DH's income, we've burnt through a lot of our savings and because of a screw up from an old employer, my medical unemployment insurance I should be getting by now still hasn't been approved, a month and a half after I applied (usually it only takes 2 weeks to go through). We're having to borrow money from my mom this month, who is also on disability after her brain surgery. She's more than happy to help us out, but I've been crazy stressed about it, and finally broke down tonight when DH got home. Like literally burst into tears the moment he stepped in the door. I have an appointment with my midwife tomorrow so I'm just going to make her aware of the stress and anxiety I've been feeling, hopefully she'll have some suggestions. You are definitely not alone in feeling that kind of anxiety though, is what I'm getting at @Megan324
  • Options
    @Megan324 - It just sounds like an overreaction to me, fueled by stress/lack of sleep/hormones/anticipation of what's to come. Hope you can find a better way to cope and ground yourself before you reach hyperventilation and of course, keep an eye on anything like that becoming a pattern, but I wouldn't overly worry about it happening once at this point.  That's just me.. I'm no professional.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @yellowrose314 @AnnaS930 thanks ladies, I appreciate it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamadomino - Maybe hormones but probably not. I teared up a bit though. <3

• Options
    I'm struggling with the dreaded post partum anxiety tonight. I'm feeling all sorts of mommy guilt even though my older kids are doing so well with this transition. My 3 year old seems so big all of a sudden and I'm all weepy over her not being the baby anymore. This too shall pass. 
  • Options
    @JLmama118 I hope you are feeling better. I think its totally natural to see your 'baby' as big once a new baby arrives and feel sad about that. Not that it being normal helps your anxiety at all, but I could see how that could impact you. I'm sorry you're feeling anxious
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @JLmama118 Sending you lots and lots of good vibes!
  • Options
    @JLmama118 love tit is for sympathy. I can definitely see feeling that way, hugs!
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the honeymoon to end...at this point I'm feeling ok and no anxiety yet...I hope I can avoid it because last time it really was the worst...my husband has anxiety problems and he gave me some tools if it starts to rear its ugly head...I'm 4 days PP
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic