June 2015 Moms

First names or Mr./Mrs./Miss

i know our LO's may be too young to comprehend titles yet but what do you plan on having your kids call neighbors, your friends, etc.? To this day I still can't call my friends parents by their first name!! It's always Mrs./Mrs. (Insert last name). I've noticed a less formal option would be mr/Mrs (insert first name). Thoughts? 

Re: First names or Mr./Mrs./Miss

• We already call people Miss Jackie, Mr Heath, etc. It's less formal in Iowa. 
  • I always did Mr./Mrs.(LastName) with adults when I was a kid, but DH called all of his parents' friends Aunt/Uncle growing up (and now just calls them by their first names).  I think we're going to do a mix of Mr./Ms.(FirstName) and Aunt/Uncle just for our REALLY close friends that are basically family.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always did Mr./Mrs.(LastName) with adults when I was a kid, but DH called all of his parents' friends Aunt/Uncle growing up (and now just calls them by their first names).  I think we're going to do a mix of Mr./Ms.(FirstName) and Aunt/Uncle just for our REALLY close friends that are basically family.
  • First names.  When kids call me Ms. Bean, I always refer to them as Mr./Ms. So-and-so. I've never been able to fathom why some people believe that children do not deserve to be shown the same respect as an adult. 
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • We call our therapist by their first names and use miss jenny or miss ann. Daycare teachers/ prek teachers don't mind being called by their 1st.  I haven't decided about my friends yet but she is too little right now to say others names and last names.
  • We were figuring Mr./Ms. first name for neighbors and acquaintances (partially because we don't know our neighbors last names).  Our daycare refers to all the teachers/staff like that as well.  Close friends would just be first names probably.
  • Good to hear that Mr/ms is still being used. It feels like dh and I are introduced to all of our friends' kids by first name only. Kinda makes me sad. We'd like to at least use Mr. (First-name), but not sure that's going to fly.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• alcrimminsalcrimmins member
    edited August 2016
    My mom hated(s) being called Mrs. X. It reminds her of her MIL and my grandmother was extremely mean and rude to everyone but my dad and one of my uncles. She always asked my friends to call her Marilyn. They all did but one who struggled with it b/c her mom was a teacher who always corrected her. 
  • If I knew someone had a preference I'd definitely just follow their lead.  I'm not into being called Ms./Mrs. either.  Which reminds me...not a fan of maam either.  Especially the first time you get called maam after being called miss.  :)
  • First names.  When kids call me Ms. Bean, I always refer to them as Mr./Ms. So-and-so. I've never been able to fathom why some people believe that children do not deserve to be shown the same respect as an adult. 
    Meh, I don't think asking children to use formal titles for adults, but not for children, means we are giving less respect to kids. It is a cultural norm and semantic device to teach children to show respect. A verbal cue.  Many cultures have this, and it doesn't mean children don't receive respect in return.

Also, my grandmother definitely deserves an honorific title, and my toddler, who is more like a little monkey than a wise sage, has definitely not earned the Mr. title. 
  • ^^ agree, but thanks for explaining it so well. :)
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• I call everyone Mr and Miss before their first name when I introduce them to LO. At church, it's Bro or Sis and then their last name. I leave it up to them to correct me and have LO call them something less formal if they want.

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

Meh, I don't think asking children to use formal titles for adults, but not for children, means we are giving less respect to kids. It is a cultural norm and semantic device to teach children to show respect. A verbal cue.  Many cultures have this, and it doesn't mean children don't receive respect in return.

Also, my grandmother definitely deserves an honorific title, and my toddler, who is more like a little monkey than a wise sage, has definitely not earned the Mr. title. 
    I agree that it's a cultural norm, but it's just not one that appeals to me. That said, I think you hit the nail on the head, that people should be addressed in whichever way they prefer. In my opinion, that should include children. Now, I've never met a child who wanted to be addressed as Mr. So-and-so, but if I ever do, I would be happy to oblige.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • I'm really uncomfortable when people address me as ma'am and I'm from the south! My husband thinks our kids need to call us ma'am and sir and I've said absolutely not. My friends kids say Ms/Mr and our first names 
  • @jessieR358, your husband thinks your kids should call you and him ma'am and sir?  Now that's hard core.  lol  I'd say absolutely not too.  Way out of what would feel natural/normal for me at least.
  • @enigmaticjj yes! I laughed at him. NO ONE in his family or my family calls their parents ma'am or sir. absolutely hardcore which is why I said no way. I said there are plenty of ways for our kids to show respect without sounding like we are drill seargents! I always feel sad for little kids when I hear kids say yes ma'am to their mom. I feel like theyre missing out on a relationship or something.