April 2016 Moms
Options

EASY

Anyone following EASY? 

We have been (loosely) for several weeks now. It was going pretty well. But for about the last 2 weeks or so DD has started wanting to eat every 2-2 1/2 hours. She typically has 2ish hours of wake time between naps, so this is totally messing us up. 

I either have to feed her upon wake up and again before nap... or she takes about a 30-40 minute nap and wakes hungry. She takes about 4 oz at a time. If I give any more than that, she just spits up.

How do I fix this? Or do I just deal with it and hope it changes soon?

Re: EASY

• Options
    We have been following EASY since DS was born. I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as she is able to fall asleep without eating; if it's not a sleep prop.
    DS also cannot take more than four ounces at a time, so we are still feeding him 7 times per day (though not at night). Sometimes he does eat twice during an EASY cycle, and often during growth spurts, and it's never messed him up. 
  • Options
    We have been following EASY since DS was born. I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as she is able to fall asleep without eating; if it's not a sleep prop.
    DS also cannot take more than four ounces at a time, so we are still feeding him 7 times per day (though not at night). Sometimes he does eat twice during an EASY cycle, and often during growth spurts, and it's never messed him up. 
    So how do you keep him from falling asleep while eating then? Or do you rouse him a bit so it doesn't become a sleep prop? And do you feed upon waking even if it's a short nap? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always feed upon waking, no matter what. I've used EASY with all 4 of mine. They go through phases (leaps, growth spurts, etc) when they do want to eat more frequently or even need to nurse/eat to sleep for a nap once in a while, but like pp said, don't make it a habit to nurse/eat to sleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ladylolly89ladylolly89 member
    edited August 2016
    So how do you keep him from falling asleep while eating then? Or do you rouse him a bit so it doesn't become a sleep prop? And do you feed upon waking even if it's a short nap? 
    If it's a very short nap, I usually wait 10-15 minutes before feeding again, and it might be a slightly smaller meal. DS's waketime is currently at 90 minutes, so I try to not push it too long. 

I do rouse him a little before putting him to bed if he falls asleep while eating, but I'm not sure how necessary that is as long as LO isn't relying on it. It's just what has been working for us. 
  • Options
    I don't know what EASY is......
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    I don't know what EASY is......
    Eat, Awake, Sleep, You. The idea is that baby eats when he wakes, then is able to be awake and play on a full tummy, goes to sleep (still on a full tummy), and then "you time". I spend my "you time" cleaning most of the time, but it is what it is with a baby. lol. 
  • Options
    You time?? Hahahaha, what is that? I laugh to keep from crying.....LO naps 1-2 hours ig Im holding him. 15-20 minutes if I lay him in his crib, thats if he doesnt wake up during the transfer. He sleeps like a champ at night though, but Idk what to do about naps. I do something similar to EASY, I do wake/eat/play/sleep. Which varies depending on how long he sleeps. He eats about every 3 hours and needs to take a nap after 90 min to 2 hours of being awake.
  • Options
    Yeah, I get what you are saying but I still don't really understand it. So what how long is a cycle supposed to last? I (roughly) adhere to a 2-3-4 schedule where she is awake for 2 hours, naps, then 3 hours, naps, then 4 hours and goes to bed. It sort of depends on what time she wakes up and what we have going on that day if she actually sticks to this, but it mostly works in my house. I try and get her to a comfortable place where she can sleep if she chooses if I find she has been awake much longer than 2 or 2.5 hours.
  • Options
    @sarahufl I don't really know how long a cycle is "supposed" to last.

But basically what was working for us (and no longer seems to be) was eat upon waking in the morning, then almost 2ish hours of playtime, then nap for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Then repeat the whole eat, play, sleep again. So I guess a cycle for us was about 3-4 hours. 

With the 2-3-4 schedule, is that 2,3 and 4 hours of wake time? 
  • Options
    I tried to follow EASY as outlined in the Baby Whisperer but LO'S 40 minute crap naps were not making it easy (ha!). I like the concept but I think it works best if you have babies who take longish naps.  I made it a little easier on myself and decided that I would feed on demand and make sure LO goes down for a nap after 2 hours of awake time.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    Yeah, I get what you are saying but I still don't really understand it. So what how long is a cycle supposed to last? I (roughly) adhere to a 2-3-4 schedule where she is awake for 2 hours, naps, then 3 hours, naps, then 4 hours and goes to bed. It sort of depends on what time she wakes up and what we have going on that day if she actually sticks to this, but it mostly works in my house. I try and get her to a comfortable place where she can sleep if she chooses if I find she has been awake much longer than 2 or 2.5 hours.
    My LO is an absolute mess if he is awake even 2 hours - I can't imagine four!

We originally followed Babywise before switching to more of a routine rather than schedule (LO wasn't a consistent enough napper for Babywise even though we otherwise loved the method and still follow most of the concept).

I've never actually read Baby Whisperer (I need to get my hands on a copy!) but that is closest to what we do. To my understanding, the length of the cycle does not matter - every baby is different and the cycle length will change as LO does.

We actually do a few different cycles throughout the day - ranging from 2-ish hours to 3.5 hours. LO cannot stay awake longer than 1.5 hours, but his first wake time of the day is actually right at about 1 hour. He then takes a 45-minute nap, I wait about 15 minutes to feed him (usually in his bed so he can enjoy some "alone awake" time), hence a 2-hour cycle. LO currently is on a 4-nap schedule, but the first and last are short 45-minute naps. His middle two are longer - usually 2 hours or a little less. Waketime 1.5 hours + 2 hour nap puts us at a 3.5 hour cycle. Cycles start over when LO eats (usually). 

I hope that makes more sense! I'm blaming mommy brain if it doesn't. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    My LO is an absolute mess if he is awake even 2 hours - I can't imagine four!

We originally followed Babywise before switching to more of a routine rather than schedule (LO wasn't a consistent enough napper for Babywise even though we otherwise loved the method and still follow most of the concept).

I've never actually read Baby Whisperer (I need to get my hands on a copy!) but that is closest to what we do. To my understanding, the length of the cycle does not matter - every baby is different and the cycle length will change as LO does.

We actually do a few different cycles throughout the day - ranging from 2-ish hours to 3.5 hours. LO cannot stay awake longer than 1.5 hours, but his first wake time of the day is actually right at about 1 hour. He then takes a 45-minute nap, I wait about 15 minutes to feed him (usually in his bed so he can enjoy some "alone awake" time), hence a 2-hour cycle. LO currently is on a 4-nap schedule, but the first and last are short 45-minute naps. His middle two are longer - usually 2 hours or a little less. Waketime 1.5 hours + 2 hour nap puts us at a 3.5 hour cycle. Cycles start over when LO eats (usually). 

I hope that makes more sense! I'm blaming mommy brain if it doesn't. 
    like I said, we sort of roughly follow it. She usually crashes around 3.5 hours but today was awake for 5.....she is fairly alert, although that is relatively new for her (just turned 20 weeks today!). Before about 2 weeks ago she had no real schedule or cycles of any sort and was basically just sleeping all the time. I find that she is the happiest if we catch her before 3 hours, ideally around 2/2.5 hours between naps makes her the happiest.
  • Options
    We are unintentionally on the EASY path. We had to wake baby to eat for the first 4-6 weeks. It kind of morphed into EASY. I like it because she doesn't rely on the bottle to sleep. 

As far as avoiding the second feeding, maybe give her an oz more than normal when she wakes or simply try and get her to sleep before the second feeding. 

I have found that LO gets super fussy at the sleep "time" and sometimes if SO can't get her to sleep, he will try feeding her again even though she probably isn't really hungry. Same for my mom who keeps her while I'm at work. 
  • Options
    I am majorly failing in this I feel like. LO always falls asleep either nursing or with bottle. Not because I want her to. She used to nap great. Now I spend all morning sometimes trying to get her down for a nap. Every now and then it's fruitful. But sometimes her first good nap isn't until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. She also wants to comfort suck during sleep and I can hardly unlatch and remove myself without her waking.

Does your LO put himself to sleep or does he/she require you to settle them down for a nap? 
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    ejled said:
    I am majorly failing in this I feel like. LO always falls asleep either nursing or with bottle. Not because I want her to. She used to nap great. Now I spend all morning sometimes trying to get her down for a nap. Every now and then it's fruitful. But sometimes her first good nap isn't until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. She also wants to comfort suck during sleep and I can hardly unlatch and remove myself without her waking.

Does your LO put himself to sleep or does he/she require you to settle them down for a nap? 
    I am of the opinion that day time naps at this point are a myth. 
    Oh my gosh! A total myth! Lol
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    ejled said:

Oh my gosh! A total myth! Lol
    Lol Yeah naps have never been great for us either. Some days they're only 15 minutes at a time. 
  • Options
    ejled said:

DD is about 50/50. If I catch her at just the right time, she'll fall asleep on her own. Otherwise I have to rock her. 
  • Options
    ejled said:

I was able to sleep guide/train my first three with pick up/put down and shush/pat in just a couple days, but don't have the time to do it with this one. Once I lay him down, he will go to sleep on his own occasionally, but most of the time, I let him suck on my pinkie finger for a few minutes and then he will suck on his own thumb. 
  • Options
    My son always wants to nurse to fall asleep. And he likes napping, thank God. Sometimes it gets a bit swayed off but ok none the less.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:
    like I said, we sort of roughly follow it. She usually crashes around 3.5 hours but today was awake for 5.....she is fairly alert, although that is relatively new for her (just turned 20 weeks today!). Before about 2 weeks ago she had no real schedule or cycles of any sort and was basically just sleeping all the time. I find that she is the happiest if we catch her before 3 hours, ideally around 2/2.5 hours between naps makes her the happiest.
    When did you transition into two naps? My LO is also 20 weeks and I'm wondering if it's something that could work for us. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    yodiggity said

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ejled said:

LO was never a great napped but he was able to fall asleep with relative ease - paci, put him in the crib drowsy but not asleep. For the past week it's as if LO is a newborn again. I have to bounce up and down a yoga ball vigorously, nurse or carry LO in the Ergo (without taking him out) to get him to sleep. Sometimes I have to do all three. I'm worried that all my sleep regression coping mechanisms are going to turn into the new normal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redselig said:
    sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:
    When did you transition into two naps? My LO is also 20 weeks and I'm wondering if it's something that could work for us. 
    She turned into a total train wreck a couple weeks ago. I think it was exactly 4 months- we went to Seattle for 5 days (from New York) and when we came home, I think it was a combo of the 4 month regression and re-adjusting to the time change that just wrecked her sleep. So we started then because I was losing my mind. 

I sort of let her dictate the schedule, but realized quickly it mimicked the 2-3-4 one I referenced. She is incredibly dramatic when she is tired (rubbing her eyes, rubbing the side of her head, etc) so I just watch her for the signs and make sure she is in a good position to nap, while also trying to pay close attention to the time. At the same time, she was outgrowing the Rock & Play, so we were also transitioning to the crib for day naps - she has been sleeping in her crib at night since day one, but for some reason refused to do it during the day.

Anyway, it was a rough couple weeks in our house, to say the least. But she seems to be adapting very well to this schedule. She also still sleeps in the car and stroller, so she isn't really *just* doing the 2 per day. You can probably add a few cat naps here and there, but the morning nap (9/9:15ish) and afternoon nap (1:30/2ish) are her primary naps. We put her to bed at 7pm.

If you don't already do it, I suggest tracking LOs sleep/eating patterns somehow. We use an app for the Android called FeedBaby. It is pretty simple but allows me to see what she does day after day and it is how I realized she had basically already put herself on this schedule and I just worked to encourage/support it as best as I could by trying to be home and comfortable/quiet at the time I knew she was ready for a nap. Trust me when I say our whole family is much happier now!
  • Options
    I don't have a set schedule with my LO.  Other than bedtime, we just play it by ear.
    He's now in daycare, so I'm waking him up at 6:45 to get ready, but on days he's not we don't plan anything and it's working.
    For example, on a non-daycare day, he will wake up and coo to himself for a little bit.  That's his own time, so I let him be.  When I can tell he's ready to get up, we get up, change, feed, and then play, 'talk' to each other, sit in the swing, etc.
    I just watch for signs he's sleepy - rubbing eyes, yawning, dozing off, etc.  When I see that, I take him to his crib for a nap.  
    When he wakes up (he has to stay in his crib for a nap for at least an hour), we play, or whatever keeps him happy, then he eats when he's hungry.  It's typically every 4 hours or so for him.
    He gets a little wound up at night, and he's starting to teethe, but we play as much as we can, or I hold him and snuggle.
    He goes to bed between 9:00 and 10:00, depending on if he gets a bath or not.  He goes right down, no fussing.

If it's not a daycare day, he will sleep until 8:30 or 9:00am....sometimes later. A solid 10+ hours a night, every night. I think for him, not having a plan was the best plan.  

• Options
    @kielpinskim how can I learn about these sleep guiding methods? We are actually about to begin daycare next week, so I am probably too late.