Single Parents

Middle class-can't afford day care

I will be a single mother with no child support coming. The father is from France and it was a one night stand while traveling abroad. I make enough at my job to support me but after rent, car payments and school loan, there isn't much left over. I have no idea how to pay for child care. I make too much to get assistance from the state but not enough that it would cover child care. I can't quit my job other wise I won't be able to pay rent and my family is 3,000 miles away. Any thoughts?

Re: Middle class-can't afford day care

• Even though you got pregnant abroad the father still needs to be held responsible for financially supporting the child. I'm not sure how you go about getting support from someone in another country but you need to start with your local friend of the court and find out. I'm sure they could help you. I agree with the previous response in that you need to find more affordable housing. In my state of Michigan there's a housing program called section 8. There's usually a wait list and I'm not sure if it's offered in all states. If that's not an option I would be trying to move closer to family. Good luck, sounds like a tough position to be in and I do hope you will pursue child support. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, insurance for LO.  Go to www.allkidscovered.com and you can get health care coverage for your LO (and I think you can for yourself while you're pregnant if you don't already have insurance).

I started grocery shopping at cheaper stores and also went to thrift stores for clothes, especially for my DD since babies grow so fast, your LO will be in and out of each size pretty quick (or at least my DD was, she's already in the "big kids" section at some places and she's only 3!)

Good luck!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Also what kind of child care are you looking into? A lot of times smaller in home daycares will be more affordable than larger child care centers.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't fully read your original post, I'm sorry.  When you say you make too much to get help from the state, what help have you already applied for?

When I was pregnant, I tried to apply for WIC but I made too much for that.  When I applied for subsidized daycare I got a very low rate for a center that was approved on my state's list.  There were people going to a top notch center (where we go) paying as low as $36/week ($144/mo).  It was weird to me that the state thought that I definitely needed help with daycare but not feeding my kid.  

Also, allkidscovered.com provides coverage for all children, regardless of income.

As for the car loan and student loan, is there a number to call to see if you can get your payments temporarily lowered until you can get some more money in?  I had a $225 car loan payment due each month up until DD was almost 6mo (car then was paid off) and that I chipped into my tax refund to pay off.  Also, I remember hearing (didn't research since it didn't apply to me) that student loans will stop being due if you continue being a student.  It's a shitty work-around and might add to the loan (again, no personal experience, so I don't actually know for sure), but maybe you could find an online course to stop the payments from being due...?  Again, I'm not sure how great of a plan that is, nor do I know for sure that's something that can be done, I just heard about it.

There is a page on facebook I bring up now and then called The Penny Hoarder.  The admin usually posts a lot of ways to make extra money, stuff that he has tried or some of the followers have tried that have turned out to be not scams.  I also "like" Budget101, cheap recipes and DIY stuff, and BabyCheapskate, scours the internets for deals on baby items.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • For student loans look into income based repayment. It's a life saver for me. 

• Go get on wic right now. It started as soon as you’re pregnant. They can help you get setup with daycare vouchers. Hope this helps.