December 2016 Moms

Random - 8.17

Starting a new random thread, our last one I was up to 7 pages and was started back in July

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Random - 8.17

• Loading the player...
  • @phoenix870509 OMG yes. The study shows that there is a correlation; correlation does not equal causation! For a funny website with some examples, Google "Spurious Correlations." There are so many factors to ADHD and most people who are pregnant take Tylenol as a form of pain relief since it's one of the only things you can take. The study literally means nothing and is getting a whole lot of people upset for no reason.
    Thank you, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees this. I mean, doctors say the only safe thing to take for headaches and whatnot is acetaminophen. Of course some of these women will have children who have ADHD, because there are other factors that come into play when it comes to ADHD. I know Squish has a high chance of having it, not because I take acetaminophen at least twice a week for something or other, but because both DH and I have it.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @phoenix870509 It's like the whole "vaccines cause autism" thing. Most people don't realize that autism is a spectrum of disorders all with different symptoms, instead when they hear autism they think of a form of autism that is not high-functioning or manageable. My little brother has Asperger's and is highly intelligent and high functioning, he just lacks some basic social skills or the ability to pick up on social cues. Asperger's won't kill him, but some of these diseases we have vaccines for actually kill people.

I don't care if people vaccinate or not, that's their choice, I just die a little inside when I hear people say that's why they aren't vaccinating. There is so much more to it than that and personally, I'd rather my child have autism than die from a disease that could've been prevented. That's if vaccines caused autism, and there's a lot more evidence saying that they don't than there is saying that they do.
  • Can anyone recommend a good support belt?  My stomach is killing me after sitting for long stretches at work.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• @ashleaf2018 My in laws are vaccines cause autism people. MIL is convinced it's the MMR vaccine. She did vaccinate her kids but she skipped the MMR one did each part as a separate vaccine. Whatever. At least my FI is vaccinated. Then their nephew was the one in a million vaccine horror story. Don't know the whole deal, but he's super short and is expected to have a decreased life expectancy. He won millions in some lawsuit against the company. So obviously a super rare side effect. Now she says we can't vaccinate our kids because they'll end up like him. I just nod my head and smile. 
  • This is mainly just to vent a little, but last weekend I asked my SIL to go through her baby stuff and figure out what she is graciously handing down to us, so that I won't have to register for everything. She's like, "Well, we may as well keep some of the stuff here since you'll be over here a lot with the baby anyway." Um, what?

DH and his sister are close, and we do go to their place a lot as they had the room to host people, and it's mainly to see 2 of our nephews (now ages almost 8 and 4.5), and not the adults. But seriously, I am not hauling a baby over to their place as much as they think we may since it will be the coldest time of the year right away, and I would rather just stay inside if I don't have to go out. They can come visit. Once he's more of a pattern and is older, then probably.

Plus, I was hoping to get a list of things we'll be getting handed down so that I won't have to register for so much, and can ask for just a few big ticket items and be done. If she wants the stuff back when we're done having kids (this is our first, and we're undecided on trying for another), she can... so she can get the money in a garage sale. That, I don't have a problem with.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @LinziLoo09 I wasn't sure if I should put it in UO or here, but it was more of a rant than anything (plus on top of the most WONDERFUL day I'm having *sarcasm*) so I figured Randoms it is!

@karmba I just got this yesterday and it is helping me:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medela-Maternity-Pregnancy-Support-Band/19897440

Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @dmontgo Maybe she's carrying more in the back than the front? You can have the last laugh though, because she could have terrible back labor when her time comes >:)
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @LinziLoo09 I was surprised how irritated I felt towards her. To be honest, I think I look pretty good all things considering. I don't know if my lunch just made me feel bloaty or what, but yeesh if I had a voodoo doll it would have lots of pins in the eyeballs for that lady. Not crazy I swear. >.>
  • @phoenix870509 thanks!  My saggy-feeling belly is bugging me already, I can't even imagine what it'll be like in 3 months.   :/

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• *possible TW*

@dmontgo I definitely see where you're coming from, but I think it's important to think about what the VS saleslady may be thinking too: "This woman is 2 weeks behind me and she already looks pregnant? I wish I looked pregnant too so everyone could share in my excitement and everyone knew and I could buy cute maternity clothes!  What if she's normal, and there's something wrong with my baby and it's not growing right? What if it stopped growing weeks ago and I never knew?". Kind of like when one of you (don't remember who...) walked into a maternity store and was told they only had maternity clothes there, assuming you weren't pregnant. Obviously I don't know the saleslady, but I imagine she might have felt just as uncomfortable with the conversation as you did. 
  • @kacie209 We have several people who have told us that they are handing down baby stuff but we haven't received anything yet. I even have a friend who has said she is giving me ALL of her stuff (several trash bags of stuff, swing, glider, toys, everything) but keeps flaking when I try to get together. It's annoying because, like you, I want to be prepared and get registry situated and stuff bought.
  • The article in question here is a bunch of hogwash IMHO.  There was no control group.  The 'study' was surveys moms took about use of drug at certain intervals in pregnancy and behavior problems reported at 7 by the same mothers.   Not diagnosed behavior problems, assumed behavior problems.  I don't know how many of you have been around 7 year olds, and they mostly mean well, but they can be assholes.  

I dont find find this to be scientific in the least bit.  I did a quick read when it came up in one of my other groups so there may be additional info I'm missing but this is not legit information as far as I'm concerned.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Austenista  Austenista member
    edited August 2016
    I'm starting to get near overwhelmed with all of the "things baby can sleep in" options. Surely he doesn't need a bouncer, swing, RnP, PnP, bassinet, and a crib does he?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @caseyewhitaker I would just get the ones you know you would get a lot of use from.

A will have a crib for his room, a RnP for our room, and a PnP for traveling or if I need him contained. We do have a bouncer as well which will be nice for him to sit in the living room with us, but realistically we probably won't use the bouncer as much as the others.
  • @caseyewhitaker we have (from dd1) a swing, bouncy seat, pnp with removable baby sleeper and bassinet attachment , rnp, and a crib. And......we used ALL of them.  :#
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• That's so adorable @slartybartfast! I want to get this for some of Michael's newborn pictures since DH is a huge Bama fan. I showed it to DH,  and he hates the whole crocheted look. Ugh!
  • @caseywhitaker I'm right there with you.  I've started registering and I just get so overwhelmed with what we actually need and what is going to be a waste.  We have a local city wide consignment sale that they do twice a year for baby stuff.  We got a great deal on a  PnP and a swing that basically doubles as a RnP.   We still need to get a crib, but other than that I think I'm going to wait and see what the little guy likes and if we need to buy something else we will then.  We just don't have the room for a lot of things we don't know if we'll use.
  • @caseyewhitaker that's what we're doing. We have a crib and rock n play. We registered for a swing and pack and play as well. If we get them, great. If not, we will see if what we have works and if not go from there. 
  • OMG @slartybartfast! I'm totally going to make sure my little gets his newborn photos done in that!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • OMG @jennbaylor12 that is hilarious/terrifying!!

• @slartybartfast DD fell in love with the dog bed at MIL's house last Christmas (she was a year old). So we bought her one and she cuddles up in it all the time. Seriously dog beds are perfect toddler beds. @jennbaylor12 That picture is just missing a lot of bloody goop and hemorrhoids. But yea.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • @dmontgo I got caught by a friend doing that at work yesterday!

@slartybartfast OMG!  That is adorable!!
  • Along the lines of walking into VS and seeing all the skinny gals, etc. I had to go "try" on a BM dress yesterday, as my sister is getting married 3.5 months after I give birth. A month ago, she was in town, and I actually could somewhat fit into the bigger sizes, just to get an idea... but this week, it was a little tougher. Needless to say, my mom is freaking out about what size I should order since we don't know what I'll look like afterwards. I want to be like, well we'll order what size I fit into now and obviously, hopefully, be able to fit in it when it comes time with some alterations (we'll go to the same gal who did my wedding dress) She's like, well, you could easily wear 10 since that was your wedding dress size. Um, no... did you see how tight that size 14 was now?? Plus, BM dresses run so odd. I'd rather get it big and have it taken in than be worried about loosing that baby weight (which I am already now concerned about) so I can actually fit into a dress and look somewhat decent. No pressure or anything. I would have been happier had they planned a wedding 6 months after this baby is out. But, nope... 3.5. Our son is an "honorary" ring bearer; he'll be sleeping most of the time.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @Kacie209 BM dresses are the weirdest sized garments of clothing I've ever worn. I remember a few years ago I had to get measured for a dress, and the lady kept huffing and puffing while she had the tape measure around my ribs and chest. I asked her what was wrong, and she snobbily said, "WELL. You COULD be a size 6...but your ribs are just too big for that. So size 8!" But in other BM dresses I tried on, I was easily in a 14 or 16. There is no consistency whatsoever.

Sorry my bones weren't cooperating with you, lady. I'll do better next time?

I'm sure you will look beautiful no matter what! One day I'm going to start a line of BM dresses you can wear more than once...
  • I didn't read the articles on the Tylenol study, but I did read Expecting Better when I first got pregnant and that book gave me a healthy dose of skepticism about any study regarding different things affecting pregnancy outcomes. Not that there's aren't documented links between certain things (heavy alcohol/drug use, etc), but that because of the difficulty conducting clinical research on pregnant ladies, it's really hard to establish causation. I know a lot of you have read that book (it's been discussed on another thread), but if you haven't I highly recommend it - it really helped me to be calmer about pregnancy and not freak out about every little thing that could possibly cause an adverse outcome.

On registering, I was very lucky to get a ton of stuff from my sister. But somehow I still have a bunch of stuff on my registry - and I don't think we're overdoing it. We've gotten advice from her and a few friends who have kids on what is actually necessary and even pared down a bit from there. It's kind of crazy how much you need, isn't it?