May 2016 Moms

How does tummy time go for you LO?

Tummy time goes way better with my son then it ever did with my daughter. But he seems ti just get real comfy and makes it tummy nappy time and doesnt work on his muscle lol he'll turn his head side to side but then falls asleep a d never ever lifts his head. OR theres the times that i put him on his belly too soon after eating and the poor bub rubs his face in his own spit up.

Re: How does tummy time go for you LO?

• Eh I have to make a lot of noise away from him to get him to lift his head. He tolerates it for 5 min at most at a time. DS1 was way worse though so I'm not too worried about it
  • My LO will only be happy for about 10-15 min in a row before she gets fussy. Then she'll drool or spit up and rub her face in it until I move her.

A couple of things that have helped stretch out the time lately:
    Get a floor mirror. LO is 12 weeks and has started to be fascinated by the baby in the mirror.
    Try gently rolling LO from front to back and back to front. It might keep him awake! For my LO, it kind of reboots the tummy time session so she's happy again. Plus, it's getting her used to how it feels to roll, for whenever she decides to try it herself.

Honestly, my problem is LO getting bored. I always have to be giving her new things to look at. Just having a variety of rattles and crinkly toys nearby might help your LO stay interested.
  • Loading the player...
  • A trick that I use is that I use tummy time at night to FaceTime LO's grandparents, aunts, and uncles. We pick a different one to call each night and she'll do tummy time for over 30 mins, lifting herself up laughing smiling and yapping away.  DH does tummy time after each feeding during the day and he started by laying on the ground face to face with her so she had stimulation and gradually moved his head.  Now we have tons of toys and she reaches for them and rolls over to play with them. 
  • My LO is only happy for 10-15 minutes as well. She has started to roll over, but when she can't get all the way over she gets mad and kicks her body in a circle. She has been pushing her body up with her arms but I haven't found a solution to make tummy time last longer. So I try to do it twice a day now. 
  • My daughter loves tummy time! She used to only tolerate it for about 10 mins then I got her a tummy time mirror. She loved talking to the cute little baby staring back at her! Now she's nearly 4 months old and she'll roll over onto her tummy constantly, she hates laying on her back now.
  • I have tile floors in my apartment, so I think that's why my son hates it. His crib is too soft for him to push up, and leaving him on the couch is way too dangerous. Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to put him on his tummy on the living room floor while I cook dinner or wash dishes (open floor plan, I can see him the whole time), but its just too hard of a surface
  • jessib899 said:
    I have tile floors in my apartment, so I think that's why my son hates it. His crib is too soft for him to push up, and leaving him on the couch is way too dangerous. Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to put him on his tummy on the living room floor while I cook dinner or wash dishes (open floor plan, I can see him the whole time), but its just too hard of a surface
    Maybe try getting a play mat? That's really all I do tummy time on ! The mat part has soft batting in it. The one I have is pretty soft, I can have it on our carpet or wood floor and I can't tell the difference! 
  • LO just turned 3 months and still can only put up with it for 5-10 minutes. Due to reflux, we have to time our attempts to avoid his food all coming back up.

Per the Ped, he's supposed to do an hour per day, but that seems impossible.
  • @jessib899 and @kannairb I second the play mat - or we started doing tummy time on the boppy which is helping a little bit.

LO hates tummy time, we just started doing better and that was after we started using the boppy so she wasn't face down banging her face on the floor. We also do a lot of tummy time against our chests (which is awesome ab exercise for us too) - we hold her against us and lean backwards so she's holding herself up a bit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kannairb duh! why didn't I think of that?? thanks for the suggestion ladies :)
  • @jessib899 i also have use the pack and play mat for tummy time.due to i have all hardwood floors in my home.... @proudparent2b..i have the same issue my boy is 3 months and just got a gtube rempved from his belly amd has horrible reflux so its tough to get some much needed tummy time:(
  • He turned 3 months last Saturday and learned to roll tummy to back yesterday, so tummy time is on his terms now.  He was doing 5-10 minutes before on a playmat.  He drools, so it was mainly the puddle of drool that would eventually upset him.  If I moved him a bit before he got upset, he could go a bit longer.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers