Breastfeeding
Options

I feel guilty if I stop breastfeeding

hello ladies. 

Many son is 5 weeks. He spent his first week in the nicu, so he has been both bottle and breastfed (pumping). He will take either. I am dealing with my second plugged duct, I think it may be infected this time. It hurts so bad. I have put heat on it, tried soaking in the hot tub, I have massaged it and tried to put him on it. It hurt so bad, I took him right off. I just can't, it hurts so much. I want to stop and just formula feed, but I feel guilty. I feel like a crappy mom. He is using formula half of the time anyway, I don't know why I feel so bad. I think that it's pressure from others. I lasted breastfeeding with my daughter for about 2 weeks and was judged big time for my decision to formula feed. I don't know if that's it or not. But I really feel miserable being in pain and being connected to my pump 24/7. Has anyone quit and felt the same guilt?

Re: I feel guilty if I stop breastfeeding

• Options
    I personally haven't quit but every story of everyone is different .. Don't let others make you fee bad .. So many people say breast is best .... But let's be real honest real quick ... FED IS BEST!!! You have to do what's best for you and baby don't let anyone else tell you different !! Good luck 
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with FF. Like the previous poster said, fed is best. If you're not comfortable continuing to BF, it's ok to switch to formula. Some people decide out the gate that they don't want to bf and that's ok too. 

I will say though, if you're going to stop bf'ing, you may want to do it slowly so that you don't develop mastitis. I hope your plugged duct clears up soon regardless.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. That does make me feel a lot better.  The morning after I posted this, I woke up in so much pain, I couldn't stop crying. I was throwing up and was so dizzy I almost passed out. My husband had to stay home from work to help me with the kids. My doctor called in some antibiotics and I'm starting to feel a little better. But it has made my decision a lot easier. I don't ever want to feel like that again. But I read that you have to keep pumping while you have the infection or it can turn into an abscess. So hopefully I can get over this fast and get my milk dried up. I just want to feel like myself again. 
  • Options
    You poor thing! You probably have mastitis and it is no joke. Most important and rewarding for baby is that he has a happy mommy. If you are in misery, how can you give him your all. Do what is right for yourself, you are not being selfish here.
    do you have a lactation consultant available??? If you really want to see if this might work, maybe call one. I would bring in formula and pump for a day or two until you can fully recover. Don't be so hard on yourself. And it doesn't have to be all or nothing. 
  • Options
    Don't feel bad about taking care of your baby. It's not like you're choosing to starve your baby or something crazy. People are going to judge you no matter what you do anyway, so I would defuse what works best for you and your family and heal yourself. You can't take care of another person if you aren't taking care of yourself first. :wink:
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Hang in there, mommy-Ing is hard!!