Just curious to see the numbers.

is your 1 year old walking yet? 58 votes

Yes
62% 36 votes
No
37% 22 votes

Re: is your 1 year old walking yet?

• btm013btm013 member
    The little bugger can walk holding one of my hands/fingers no problem. He motors all around the house on his walker without issue. The moment he realizes no one is holding him he sits himself down. He will be 14 months on the 28th! While I am mildly freaking out over this the doctor isn't a bit concerned. Just thinks he's a little more cautious than some toddlers.
  • DD is walking independently for the most part.  She can't just walk forever without falling down...probably 20 steps is her max.  However, she has decided that she's good enough at it that she wants to always be carrying a toy with her when she is walking, so that is making it a lot harder than it needs to be.  Especially when the toy she selects is almost as big as she is. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope lol we are close but he only wants to try on his own heaven forbid I try to encourage him. 
  • LO is not walking yet either.  He seems to be getting a bit more confident pulling up on things and pushing them around as walkers such as boxes, tv trays, his toy ride on car... I give it a few more weeks.  I am trying to work with him on it, when i let go of his hands he will stand still for a few seconds, look around, then decide "nope" and sit his little butt down and crawl.  He will be 14 months on the 15th of August.  My nephew started walking right around 14 months too, I am not concerned.  He will get there when he gets there. 
  • btm013 said:
    The little bugger can walk holding one of my hands/fingers no problem. He motors all around the house on his walker without issue. The moment he realizes no one is holding him he sits himself down. He will be 14 months on the 28th! While I am mildly freaking out over this the doctor isn't a bit concerned. Just thinks he's a little more cautious than some toddlers.
    This exactly!
  • Four days after his birthday he decided he was ready to go. He went from taking 2-3 steps to walking everywhere. And now he climbs as well. No stopping this boy! 
  • He started walking at 11 months and hasn't just goes and goes. Between his eating regular food (I'm always focused on him first cutting up his food and getting more before I worry about myself) and running after him constantly I have lost 10 pounds!  He is non stop on the go!
  • I don't know how to answer this but I voted yes because LO can walk but she still prefers to crawl. She's still a little uncertain of herself when it comes to walking. She's good at climbing though and has no problems jumping to us in the swimming pool. 
  • beckyk9109beckyk9109 member
    edited July 2016
    btm013 said:
    Omg, my life exactly. Both my twins do this. I got Adalynn to take 2 steps today by herself. They're COMPLETELY capable, they just don't trust themselves 
  • totally echoing what others have said! Today she toOk 3 independent steps! Woohoo! But no, she's not "walking" :) she totally could but just seems to need a little more confidence. She'll walk all day holding our hands and we really aren't doing much to help her! I don't think it'll be long and she'll be running around everywhere!

• LO started taking steps before her birthday, but didn't start full on walking until a week after her birthday. 
  • Lo started at 10 months, crazy child. My older daughter started around her birthday so I wasn't expecting it to happen early. I blame needing to keep up with big sister!
  • LO started walking at 10 months too! He's getting really fast. 
  • edited July 2016
    Miss M is very cautious. She'll push her toys around, walk along furniture and walk holding onto your hands all the time. She's constantly crawling over to us, grabbing our hands, and getting up and walking. She just doesn't have the confidence to get up and go on her own. 
    Miss H seems interested in walking, but just isn't quite there yet. She laughs and loves when you walk with her. I know I'm in trouble when they both start walking. 
    Big brother took his 1st steps by a year and was walking by 13 months. I figured the girls would be walking by now at almost 14 months. But I know kids all do things when they're ready, so I'm not worried. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My LO started at 11 months. 14 months now and he's running around and climbing like crazy now!! The other morning I found him having climbed all the way to the top of his slide and was standing at the top! I had a mini heart attack!
    With me being almost 20 weeks pregnant- its getting hard to keep up!! 
  • Lo started walking this weekend while camping yay but really what a stressful thing for momma 
  • This past weekend my girls finally decided they were ready! Adalynn is fearless now and we've had A LOT of falls because she's too brave. Apparently, she thinks she can go from not walking, to walking everywhere in the snap of a finger and doesn't use caution anymore... Silly kid
  • Yeah, the development has been a little uneven. He's been walking independently since 10 months, but doesn't talk at all. Not a single word. 
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • That would be hard @KonaCoffeeBean I joke that our fine motor skills came way before our large ones. But it's true glad we are getting there now though
  • Yeah, the development has been a little uneven. He's been walking independently since 10 months, but doesn't talk at all. Not a single word. 
    This is really interesting, thank you for sharing. My son has 15-20 words but can barely even stand up without holding onto something (he's soooo cautious). I'm not concerned, just fascinated by how they choose some skills over others. They will all get there. (My husband thinks if I talk about it, I'm stressing. No dude, just observing!)
  • rklinge0 said:
     To those moms who feel like their children are lagging in one area or two, their brains can only hold so much and when they focus on let's say walking there is going to be an area that is not receiving as much attention.  Hang in there usually once they master it they can start focusing on another area. And no I am not an expert but we have 3 therapists who come in on a weekly/biweekly basis and one who has a PhD in Childhood Developmental who assures me not to worry.
    Agree. Our pediatrician basically said The same thing. Their little brains can only focus on developing one area at a time so it's very common if your child is advanced in one area to be average or less average in another. My little one is just barely walking on her own, still choosing crawling for her main mode of transportation, but she's talking up a storm so I'm not worried about the walking either.
  • My kid "lost" many of his words this week, two days ago he walked three times in one day (6+ steps each time), and now he won't even stand up. He is whiney and fussy and deranged. Development, here we come! I know he will "officially" walk soon. Tell me the whining goes away then?!
  • @virginiaunicorn11 lol to "deranged".  i know what you mean ;) 
    LO is drunk and fearless when bed time is approaching. Thinks he is a pro at walking until he face plants and starts to cry.  I know he will be walking soon, 14 months on the 15th. 
  • swiebe said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 lol to "deranged".  i know what you mean ;) 
    LO is drunk and fearless when bed time is approaching. Thinks he is a pro at walking until he face plants and starts to cry.  I know he will be walking soon, 14 months on the 15th. 

THIS, DD is also like NUTS when she's tired, which is terrible because she's also clumsy when she's tired.  She does her best walking right before bedtime.  Last night she wanted me to hold her hand so that she could step up and down on a landing in our bedroom over and over again.  She completely ignores that area the rest of the day.  She didn't hurt herself last night, but the previous night she fell down while walking with a book in her mouth and got a small papercut on her lip.  She also took a header into a friend's un-childproofed coffee table when she missed a nap a couple of weeks ago and had a cut closer to her eye than I'd like.  It's a mess.
  • Hi ladies! My LO only walks alongside the couch. Not even close to walking on his own. His legs are wobbly? Any mommas experiencing this? Any tips?
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I have one twin who can totally walk on her own really well.
    Then my other girl gets crazy legs and gets too excited to even focus on walking. She gets entirely too silly but can still take steps on her own.

So, we're still preferred crawlers/knee walkers. Knee walking is certainly the preferred method of transportation.
  • I'm with @beckyk9109 and the crazy legs twin!  My LO just gets too excited, but when she can focus on the task at hand and not just fling her whole body forward, she'll take 3-4 steps.  I'm so over carrying her!
  • @beemaya83 lo cruises but won't take any steps on her own yet. She doesn't feel confident. I have been asking pt what to do but until the babies feel ready we can't really do much. Typical walking age is up to 17 months so you still have some time. 
  • Thank you ladies for the replies. I was kind of beginning to worry.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• my son is also not walking yet. he'll stand but wen I try to get him to walk he sits right back down. hopefully soon he will start. will be 15 months on the 22nd 
  • I have one twin who can totally walk on her own really well.
    Then my other girl gets crazy legs and gets too excited to even focus on walking. She gets entirely too silly but can still take steps on her own.

So, we're still preferred crawlers/knee walkers. Knee walking is certainly the preferred method of transportation.
    This! One twin walks like a pro. She goes everywhere. The other twin gets too excited and gets wobbly. She loves walking with your hands, toys and anything she can walk with. So I know soon she'll get the confidence to just go on her own. She'll take steps, but then sits down like she's afraid. She loves the knee walking. 

• My crazy-leg twin finally caught on probably 2-3 weeks ago? The great thing about twins is that she would watch her sister and then get motivated to do the same thing. Once she figured it out, there was no turning back. She just flipped a switch and is good to go now. It'll come for your littles too!
  • Any momma's with 16 month olds not walking on their own yet? Mine is walking with a walker and holding on to the couch, but not on his own yet. We had an appointment with the doctor last week. She will be running some blood tests. I need to also fill out a questionnaire to get him evaluated.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• beemaya83 said:
    Any momma's with 16 month olds not walking on their own yet? Mine is walking with a walker and holding on to the couch, but not on his own yet. We had an appointment with the doctor last week. She will be running some blood tests. I need to also fill out a questionnaire to get him evaluated.
    Mine is walking but I have a friend whose LO didn't start til 17 months and she's a totally healthy two year old now, just took her time in reaching some of the milestones.
  • @beemaya83 we aren't walking. She has been taking steps. But we are on a delayed schedule anyways. And according to the milestone charts up to 18 months is acceptable. It's after that, that they get a little worried. We are working with a p.t. already. I do remember her saying that walkers can hinder independent walking and she asked us to stop using them. Another suggestion was to move furniture farther away so they build confidence. She also recommended teaching her to climb stairs. Clearly all suggestions so you can do what you will with them.
  • @rklinge0 thank you for the suggestions. I hope your LO catches up soon too!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My twins aren't walking yet at 17 months ( they were a month premature) they stand up and dance and cruise all over the furniture and climb the stairs like professionals though, it's interesting seeing kids develop differently. My ped said most kids walk by 18 months and aslong as they are progressing it's all good. Don't worry mamma! 
  • Twin a has been walking for about a month now. A couple of days ago twin b just got up and took off. They're 16.5 months old. My dh was getting concerned that she wasn't walking yet,  but I told him all kids walk in their own time. Sure enough, now she's taking off.