Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Did the terrible Two's come early?

My husband and I both work so my daughter who is 20 months old goes to daycare which she loves but for the last few months she has been very emotional. She wakes up in the morning screaming, kicking and crying and i know she doesn't want to wake up but she does that all the way from the time she wakes up to daycare and we've tried everything to get her to calm down. Then, once i pick her up from daycare its the same thing. She's even been getting angry and upset when its time for bed. I'm just not sure what to do right now with this attitude and how to calm her down. We only get to see her a total of 3 hours a day on the weekdays and 1/2 of it is her throwing a huge meltdown. Any suggestions? she's in bed every night by 8 p.m. and i wake her up at 7:30 a.m. and i know maybe i should start putting her to bed earlier but its just so hard when we have such little time anyway. 

Re: Did the terrible Two's come early?

• Options

Not sure if it matters much but my 21 month old goes to bed around the same time and gets up the same time as your LO. Seems like those are reasonable times for that age.

I have to say from experience (my older child and now my 21 month old) that this is very, very normal. Unfortunately. It's hard having very little time with them and the time you do have, they are cranky. I notice that evenings are bad for both of my kids. It's the end of the day, they are overstimulated and just sick of everything so they act out. Not a whole lot you can do about that.

Also, I noticed that my 21 month old is teething pretty bad. Her big teeth are coming in and her K9's so she's especially crabby because of that.

Hang in there, it's a crappy phase but it does pass.

• Options

We've been going through similar crabbiness with my son who is 20 months. It's so frustrating when you know they are good at daycare and then you get the brunt of it. Not sure if your daughter has many words yet but my son doesn't so everything is fussing and trying to figure it out is a complete guessing game. We have been working on trying to get him to use words or even signs for things he wants. Not sure if it's helping at all. He too is doing some major teething right now and I know that's a part of it, especially the bedtime routine. I think this is the time they start to feel some independence and want to do things on their own but still aren't always able and it's tough on them.

Also, have you guys made any changes around the house or to your schedules that may not directly impact her but she could be feeding off of? I think it's a phase and I hope my son is done with it soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey there!

I have 3 children, 7 yrs. old, 2.5 yrs. old, and 16 months.This sounds all too familiar. Terrible 2's are here! The bed time isn't too late for her. I put my children down between 8 and 8:30. They wake up around 7-7:30. It doesn't sound like it's a sleeping issue. I have found that if I follow the same routine everyday it helps my children, even my older one. I wrote a blog specifically about toddler tantrums. You can find it below. It has a lot of useful information on how to deal with them and how to prevent them. Hope it helps!

https://http//alphadadomegamom.com/tackling-toddler-tantrums/