Major supply drop! Baby is waking middle of night again hungry worried IUD has changed my supply???? — The Bump
March 2016 Moms

Major supply drop! Baby is waking middle of night again hungry worried IUD has changed my supply????

Please help...
any one else have issues? What can I do to verify it is or not the issue? Anything to help build or encourage more milk production 
TIA 

Answers

• amyidamyid
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I was super stressed and noticed an almost immediate drop ( I pretty much pump exclusively now too so it's easier to see ) - since then I'm on a super strict routine of mothers milk tea atleast 2-3 times a day, Gaia lactation support supplements 3 times a day ($24 from Amazon for 120 capsules) and fenugreek capsules 2-3 caps, 2-3 times a day. Boom, milk supply boosted !! It really worked for me. 
  • soxfan9968soxfan9968
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited July 2016
    If you're on an iud that releases progesterone, it can cause a decrease in milk supply. Other than weighted feeds, I don't know what else you can do to verify. As to boosting milk supply, I second the suggestion for mothers milk tea. I haven't tried support supplements but I'd give them a try in a pinch. Also if you can, I'd say to try adding a pump session to your routine or a power pump session (pump for ten, off for ten, pump for ten etc for an hour to imitate a growth spurt) and pump even if nothing comes out at first. The added demand for milk can cue your body to produce more.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
    amyid
  • I've had a drop in supply after my IUD. My lactation consultant says that I should be able to get it back up to normal. I've been pumping every hour at work, using a manual pump after my electric pump, taking a supplement that's a blend of fenugreek, goat's rue, blessed thistle herb, nettle herb and fennel seed and making lactation smoothies & banana bread. I also get up in the middle of the night to pump. I seem to be at least getting just enough for him to eat during the day now, but not a drop extra lol. Don't give up! :)
  • I have not experienced a drop since having the mirena placed at 8 weeks. It could be your period, stress, not enough hydration, anything really. I would chart your output (pump after nursing if you're still nursing) and see if there is some kind of trend. Personally, I haven't noticed enough of a boost with the teas and supplements to take them consistently. I was drinking the mother's milk tea while out on leave but have since stopped. I am ep'ing though so I am pumping routinely. 

It wouldn't hurt to pump after nursing if you aren't already.