October 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Breastfeeding

Re: All Things Breastfeeding

• Options
    @alygator11687 this is what im
    thinking. The Boppy I didn't feel was high enough and I was hunched over, my neck and back killing me so I think I'll switch. Thanks!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I loved the Brest friend pillow over the boppy
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins

I forgot I had these in my LLL library, hope they help at least a little :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before but...

Just order my insurance covered breast pump (medela pump in style advanced).  They only covered the most basic version, so I'm wondering what accessories would be good to register for?  Obviously some bottles and bags, but how many?  Is the cooler neccessary? Tote bag? Anything else?  

I'll be on maternity leave for 12 weeks and after that I go back to work 4 days a week.  I'm kind of clueless, so suggestions would be helpful!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    Sorry if this has been asked before but...

Just order my insurance covered breast pump (medela pump in style advanced).  They only covered the most basic version, so I'm wondering what accessories would be good to register for?  Obviously some bottles and bags, but how many?  Is the cooler neccessary? Tote bag? Anything else?  

I'll be on maternity leave for 12 weeks and after that I go back to work 4 days a week.  I'm kind of clueless, so suggestions would be helpful!
    This is what I plan to order. 

I registered for the tote and an extra battery and charger also.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I just used the breast pump advertisement that keeps popping up here on the bump to see what I qualify for and what the difference will be for the Medela Pump In Style Advanced.
    I'll update you guys on how it goes.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what all the insurance version of the PISA comes with, so I wouldn't buy anything until you see what you get. 

You'll definitely want a tote bag and some sort of cooler/ice pack, but you don't necessarily need the Medela versions, IMO. Save money and buy something simple if your pump doesn't come with these included. 

You'll definitely want an extra set of Medela parts (shields/valves, etc. ... I had a Freestyle so it was a little different) because then you won't have to wash them every single night ... it's easier to rotate between at least two sets, IMO. I also liked the sanitizing microwave bags and would use them about once a week (they are reusable, too, so you only need a few to start). 

Opinions will vary on how to clean your parts between pumping sessions at work. I personally liked the Medela wipes because I didn't want to take my parts to the break room to clean them in the sink in front of everyone. These can be pricey, so watch for sales. 

I did buy a car adapter but only used it once or twice ... not worth the investment unless you have to travel often. I also could never get any hands free bras to fit me well - the suction was better if I used my hands, but I know other people have reported success.  

You'll also get mixed reports on storage bags ... I tried several brands and the Medela worked best for me. HOWEVER, I was never able to pump directly into the bags without spilling ... I pumped into the bottles, then would fill the bags. You'll probably get some free samples of different brands from the hospital or in the mail, so try them out before you stock up. Speaking of bags, make sure you have a couple of Sharpies on hand for labeling. 
  • Options
    I apologize if someone already said this but I didn't see it. Medela's website is amazing! You can just put in your insurance and doctor info and they will take care of working with your doctor and insurance to get your pump ordered. For those of you going with Medela, I definitely recommend looking at just ordering through their website.
  • Options
    Can someone explain the significance of this photo and info? I'm not sure what my takeaway is supposed to be here.
    tagging @TurtleMomma since I know you know so much :)

• Options
  • Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited August 2016
    @blonde1817 - here is the basic gist of what I used when I went back to work after DS:
    1. "Get your pump bag ready the night before

Mornings are always super frantic, so make it easier on yourself by getting your pump bag ready the night before. The only thing you’ll need to add in the morning is a freezer pack or two for your transport bag. Here’s what you’ll need:

• Large bag to carry all your stuff
    • Pump
    • (2) Breastshields with valves and membranes
    • (4-6) Bottles with lids
    • Insulated bag for storing your milk in a fridge at work and transporting home
    • Two ice packs for your ride home (and for storing your milk throughout the day if you don’t have access to a refrigerator)
    • Hands free pump bra
    • Something to hold your breastshields/bottles in between pump sessions – a large plastic bag, a reusable container and a large baby wipe dispenser all work.
    • A little bin of coconut oil (tip #6)"
    I had the medela pisa backpack, and I carried the pump parts in a gallon size ziploc. Something helpful I read early on is that if you keep your pump parts in the fridge then you don't need to rinse them between pumps (obvi clean/sanitize in the dishwasher when you get home). So I just emptied the milk in storage bags or brought lids for the bottles you pump into, put the milk in the insulated tote with the pump parts, and stuck it in an opaque bag in the fridge for the next session. And I brought extra bottles with lids or extra lansinoh bags for the next pump.

In an 8.5 hour day, I pumped twice a day. Actually at the beginning I did pump in the car on the way to work (that's a fun scenario), then at lunch and then at a break.  

Keep clean gallon ziplocs in your pump bag. Have extra membranes in your bag (if these stop working you are f*cked). If you're full time, it's not a bad idea to just have an extra pump set at work. Get some good ice packs for transportation, esp if you do errands after work. Some people like having a pic of their baby in their bag for letdown; smart phones are just as good or better. 

I always packed granola bars and an extra water in my pump bag. Also a nursing cover in case. You won't know exactly what you need/how much until you get there. (amazon prime....)

• Options
    @noraaurora Thanks that's super helpful!  I haven't really thought yet about how I'm going to go about pumping at work ... I share an office and it has a window to the hallway that patients can walk by and see in, not exactly ideal.  I guess for the first couple months I can use the office of my coworker who will be out on maternity leave still (she's due late November) and then I'll just have to figure something out.   I'm not pumping in a bathroom!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited August 2016

@Blonde1817 If you live in the United States, your employer is required by law to provide you with a private space with an outlet that is NOT a bathroom. I believe it also has to have a lockable door, but I could be wrong on that. Talk to your employer!

EDIT: Oh, I just realized it only applies to hourly paid employees--which is weird. It doesn't apply to salaried employees. But check state law and talk to your employer anyway, even if you aren't covered by the federal law. They may be willing to work with you.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I just wanted to say that I took a breastfeeding class last night at our hospital and it was SUPER informative! I recommend it! It's not an overly complicated thing, but at the same time, all the tips and tidbits they taught aren't necessarily intuitive so I could see how not knowing the specific steps on how to latch, positions, hunger cues, etc. could make a huge difference in successful breastfeeding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Really great info @LGW2015... It seriously makes me consider taking the BF class...hmmm. 
    Also, I'm kind of shocked they haven't developed something to fix/combat this issue. I can see why the formula companies wouldn't want to, but it sounds like a needed invention.
  • Options
    Dr Browns preemie nipples are supposed to help the formula issue. Never tried them
  • Options
    @LGW2015 sounds like we were in the same class last night! Haha it was so helpful!!
  • Options
    Good info @von1976. I'll be trying to BF but want to know about all things feeding bc it may not work out. I watched it happen to my bestie and WILL NOT stress myself out over it if it's just not in the cards for me. Though I hope it is :)
  • Options
    Everything @von1976 is spot on for early breastfeeding, and @bnsmith85 if you have the option to take a breast feeding class do not miss out on that opportunity! One of my biggest regrets when I was a FTM was not taking advantage of the classes. Obviously you'll survive no matter what, but I know I sure could have used that extra information. 
  • Options
    Everything @von1976 is spot on for early breastfeeding, and @bnsmith85 if you have the option to take a breast feeding class do not miss out on that opportunity! One of my biggest regrets when I was a FTM was not taking advantage of the classes. Obviously you'll survive no matter what, but I know I sure could have used that extra information. 
    Really? My MD told me I really didn't need it, that the LC's at the hospital were great and that it was even better bc our peditrician's office has their own LC.... So I didn't sign up. You'd still recommend?
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I am taking a BF class in early September. I feel like getting a head start on some information may be helpful, especially if I am getting frustrated with it once baby is here. Also, everyone (as in my birth class instructor and the hospital) says our hospital LC is great, but I've seen her in action with a friend and I beg to differ- her personality is really harsh and I'm not sure how conducive to learning that will be for me. My pediatricians office has 2 LCs so I don't have to see her if I have issues after. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 Everything @mommathoner said, my LC truly was wonderful but there was jus SO MUCH going on with my mind and body after delivery it was hard to retain everything she taught me on the spot, and it would have been so nice to have already had the basic information handy, and had my LC as my hands-on resource.
  • Options
    I agree, take the class beforehand and see if you can plan a consultation 1-2 weeks postpartum. The LC at the hospital might be great, but you'll be in a fog and your milk won't have come in yet, so new questions and issues are bound to arise once you're home (totally normal!).
  • Options
    the class has been registered for :) After Sept 20th I'll basically be an expert (bahaha.... j/k)
  • Options
    Nursing bras...does anyone have one they love? I just have a collection that I hate. I'm a D cup and will become a DD cup. Does a nursing bra exist that fits a big boob well? Or am I destined to always have uniboob in them?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

@kelliott09 DD is a big boob? HAHA! I'm up to a J cup. (Yes, they make J cups.) Who knows where I'll be when the milk comes in. I've had good luck with Anita and Rosa Faia (back when I was an H cup in the 2nd tri), but I'm in Elomi now because that's all that comes in this ginormous cup size. Honestly, though--you should have plenty of DD nursing bras to choose from. Try going to a bra store (not Victoria's Secret) for a fitting. I'm sure they can find you something you love.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    @kelliott09 yeah, I was in an H cup while nursing DS1. Soma had great underwire options, Gilligan O'malley from Target had nice sleep/soft bras. I also liked my Le Mystere "sexy mama" underwire bra. I do NOT recommend Motherhood Maternity for larger size nursing bras, and definitely don't go the Victoria's Secret route. I'd wait until a few weeks postpartum to get fitted for nursing bras. Good luck!
  • Options
    kelliott09kelliott09 member
    edited August 2016
    @von1976 Oh yeah, there's plenty of options but they're all terrible. I realize a DD isn't out of control but if sure feels like it when I'm trying to wear a bra with virtually no support and either forming a uniboob or not holding them in at all. I should probably also add that I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on them either just to wear around the house and to sleep in. I bought a Bravado because I've heard good things about them. Meh, it's better than some others I guess but I still have uniboob. I just want 2 separate boobs in a nice cozy bra. Is that too much to ask?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kelliott09kelliott09 member
    edited August 2016
    @kmvisioli  I have a Gilligan Omalley nursing bra from my last pregnancy and a motherhood nursing bra from my first, I don't like either. I've tried regular Soma bras before, they give me pointy boob. The only bras I normally wear are VS and no, I definitely wouldn't go there for a nursing bra but I have absolutely considered getting a wireless one from there because I've about given up on nursing bras. I was just hoping that someone had found a good one and I could not hate my bra this time. 

ETA I didn't realize Soma made nursing bras and I may give them another try if I can't find anything else

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @kelliott09 bummer :-/ I've never tried the regular soma bras, so maybe try again? I liked that they were more affordable than most places, too (2/$60). If there is a baby/mommy boutique store or a lactation center at a local hospital by you, those are great places to find a lot of different brands and styles.
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    edited August 2016
    I love the Gilligan and O'Malley ones and I love them but I'm only a B so I can't speak to how they would do for big boobs!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kelliott09 I feel the same way. I was a 42DD when nursing my daughter and I never found a nursing bra that I liked. I am willing to spend a little more this time around if I can find something that is comfortable. Lucie's List has some recommendations, FWIW. 
  • Options
    @kelliott09  I'm in the same boat... I was a 32DD before pregnancy.  I have no idea what I am now and don't want to know!  But all of my bras are currently way too tight in the band and the cup size is not even close to covering things.  I was really struggling with finding a nursing bra that was not insanely expensive and didn't cause major uniboob.  I was shocked how many of the nursing bras just have no padding.  How does anyone wear those out of the house?!  I knew I shouldn't get a bra with cups at this stage since I'll still change, so I just got some jessica simpson wireless ones on sale at motherhood.  They're not cute, but they're not ugly either, and they're reasonably supportive.  I've heard good things about cake maternity nursing bras.  
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    So I tried out the Bravado nursing bra I got. When I tried it on yesterday, I was immediately upset with the uniboob which is why I came here to ask. But SO says it isn't as bad as I think and seems more supportive than my others so I decided to give it a try and sleep in it last night. Yeah, I've become a weird bra sleeper since I've been a mom. Anyway, it was surprisingly very comfortable. I didn't spill out anywhere like I normally do in a nursing bra and I do feel pretty supported. It's also very stretchy so I should have plenty of room to grow. I probably won't wear it out anywhere. If I do, it would be under a loose shirt so it isn't obvious but it'll do. So if you're looking, it's a Bravado body silk seamless.  :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Signed up for my breastfeeding class on the 29th! Anybody dragging their hubby to theirs or am I the only one? I feel like i need him to be my brain