3rd Trimester

can't take it anymore

This is AFTER wearing my compression stockings.. I'm 28 weeks and have been swelling like this since 20 weeks. I have been to 3 different practices and they check me for preeclampsia everytime and it comes back normal, I had preeclampsia with my first. My blood pressure has been ok but I've started noticing heart palpitations and I cough almost everytime I try to talk, like I have fluid. My feet are like this every single day, I just can't see how this is normal!

Re: can't take it anymore

• What does your blood pressure normally run? If it's above your baseline but still in the normal range pre e might be missed. Have you requested a 24 hour urine? With a history they may let you do one. What do they tell you about the swelling and have you cut down on sodium?
  • My BP is usually around 90/60, I've told them that 130/70 is high for me but they brush it off. I had a 24 hour urine done 4 months ago, they've been running blood tests that agolways come back normal. They told me the swelling is normal and it's the humidity but I know it's not. I stay inside as much as possible and put my feet up but still wake up swollen. I cut my sodium back months ago to no avail.
  • Loading the player...
  • My BP is usually around 90/60, I've told them that 130/70 is high for me but they brush it off. I had a 24 hour urine done 4 months ago, they've been running blood tests that agolways come back normal. They told me the swelling is normal and it's the humidity but I know it's not. I stay inside as much as possible and put my feet up but still wake up swollen. I cut my sodium back months ago to no avail
  • Push for another 24 hour urine, 4 months ago is a long time. Throw a fit if you have to, if you truly believe something is wrong then don't stop until you get what you feel you need. This is your baby and your piece of mind 
  • I have, I'm sick of it different doctors , getting the same reult. I'm seeing my delivery doctor on the 11th so maybe he will have a different opinion. I will definitely ask for another 24 hours urine instead of blood tests everytime
  • While you're waiting to be seen, try sitting or lying with your legs elevated above your heart for a while which may help shift some of the fluid. What level of compression stockings are you wearing? You may need to go up to a stronger level or higher stockings (thigh high or complete if you're only wearing knee high) to see more of a difference. I wear 30-40mmHg (I'm a nnurse and have always worn them), they're tight and can be uncomfortable to get used to but they might make a difference! Hope you feel better soon!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • J1DJ1D member
    FWIW I had pre-e and my cousin did not. Her feet swelled up just as big as mine. So swelling alone, even crazy swelling really can just be a normal pregnancy symptom.
    Obviously if you truly believe something is wrong, you should pursue it, but if all your tests are coming back normal, hopefully everything is just fine.
  • Have you been checked for anemia? I have crazy palpitations and they did all sorts of tests only to find out it was simply anemia
  • And beyond the obvious pre-e discussion, water intake will help flush fluids, as will light exercise like walking.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I know this is old but just in case someone uses the search function ;) most doctors don't use swelling as an indicator of pre-e anymore. If they did almost every single pregnant woman would become a concern. Swelling (even a lot of it) can be 100% normal in pregnancy 
  • msuzannah said:
    I know this is old but just in case someone uses the search function ;) most doctors don't use swelling as an indicator of pre-e anymore. If they did almost every single pregnant woman would become a concern. Swelling (even a lot of it) can be 100% normal in pregnancy 
    And it's also incorrect. SUDDEN swelling of legs, feet and face is absolutely a sign of preeclampsia.  A certain level of swelling is expected in feet and ankles towards late pregnancy.  Sudden onset, uncharacteristic swelling is something to be concerned about.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• msuzannahmsuzannah member
    edited September 2016
    DiFazette said:
    msuzannah said:
    I know this is old but just in case someone uses the search function ;) most doctors don't use swelling as an indicator of pre-e anymore. If they did almost every single pregnant woman would become a concern. Swelling (even a lot of it) can be 100% normal in pregnancy 
    And it's also incorrect. SUDDEN swelling of legs, feet and face is absolutely a sign of preeclampsia.  A certain level of swelling is expected in feet and ankles towards late pregnancy.  Sudden onset, uncharacteristic swelling is something to be concerned about.  
    I was monitored for pre-e the entire end of my pregnancy because of extremely high blood pressure. When I called in because my feet had suddenly ballooned as well as my hands they told me that it was most likely due to the heat and to just wait until my appointment. While swelling can be a sign of pre-e it is unreliable as the only symptom. I'm sure there are cases where it was the only sign of pre-e but most of the time that is not the case. My swelling was out of control for weeks but all the tests were fine until I was just over 38 weeks. 
    ETA: it's always something you should contact your doctor about because people on here are not usually medical professionals and even those that are can't diagnose you on line. But most of the time it's not something terrible! 
  • Right - so all that to say that your first post that reads that swelling 'isn't a big deal and totes normal' is flippant and actually incorrect.  It CAN be a big deal and suggesting to people who don't know any better that it's not is irresponsible.  I'm quite familiar with pre-e and eclampsia myself, as I had a life threatening case my last pregnancy.  It's not wise to go around minimizing the common signs of one of the most dangerous pregnancy complications.  But I think you can see that now based on your PSA at the bottom of your last post.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• The new ACOG guideline state the Pre-E is B/P of 140/90 (or more) twice at less 6 hours apart. No matter what your base line is.

You sound like my pregnancy. I had the same symptoms, and I was dx with gestational hypertension (old term was pregnancy inducted hypertension).  I then had Pre-E, but those two are not related, many one does not cause the other.

Swelling is common during pregnancy, especially during the 3rd trimester in the summer. The only suggests are to increase your fluids. A lot. My MFM and Ob wanted my to drink 4 liters per day (yes, 4 liters. that just over a 1 gallon or 135 oz), and that helped with my swelling a little bit.