Baby Names
Options

Old English Boy Name

My husband and I love Old English names for boys. We have 3 names we really like, but we're not sure if they are TOO uncommon sounding that others would think the child's name was odd. We live in a place where you hear a lot of the same names over and over. Our first son's name is Rowan. Which of these 3 names, or none, do you prefer? Callum (pronounced CAL-um), Carrick, or Calder?
BabyFetus Ticker
Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

Re: Old English Boy Name

• Options
    I guess Callum.  Carrick and Calder are just toooo surnamey for me.  Callum is more recognizable as a first name and has the potential of nn Cal.

• Options
    I kinda like Carrick, but Callum is definitely used as a given name more. They're all pretty surnamey.

I admittedly thought thus was going to be more like Basil, Niles and the sort.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with pp that I actually kind of like Carrick (I think it sounds best with Rowan), but Callum is a safer option if you are worried about it being too different. Garrett or Caleb may be good options for you; though not truly Old English they sound similar to your list.
  • Options
    I'm not really a fan of any of them but I would choose Callum by default for reasons already mentioned. What about something like Cedric or Cecil?
  • Options
    Callum is the best of the 3 but also always reminds me of Gollum...
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    I definitely like Callum best.  I was afraid when I clicked this that you were going to list names like Æthelred or Uhtred.  Callum is good.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    I'm a fan of Callum. (I also really like Colm, which sounds similar but I think is more Irish). 

I also like Carrick. I think either goes fine with Rowan. 
  • Options
    I like Carrick, but if your concerned about a name being too uncommon I'd go with Callum since it more well known.  
  • Options
    Callum and Calder are names that are somewhat known these days. I know children with these names, I have never heard of Carrick before, it is okay.
  • Options
    I actually like Calder, but that might be because I know one and think he's a nice guy. I do like Callum too though. I'm a fan of the nickname Cal.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    I guess Callum.  Carrick and Calder are just toooo surnamey for me.  Callum is more recognizable as a first name and has the potential of nn Cal.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    I briefly dated a guy named Callum and tbh I still don't know how to pronounce the name...so be prepared for that. I really like pp suggestion of Colm. 
  • Options
    Carrick definitely 
    Niles good too
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Callum is the best of the 3 but also always reminds me of Gollum...
    Oh gosh, we didn't even think of that!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Options
    These names are not really my style, but my top choice of the three would be Calder. 
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    I prefer Carrick of your picks. 
    Me: 29, DH: 32
    Married: July 22, 2008
    Fur babies: Phoenix and Yeti (both cats). 
    TTC#1 since: May 2015
    September 2016- Infertility Testing
    dx: Low Progesterone, Vitamin D Deficiency, Borderline PCOS
    Treatment: 
    October 2016-January 2017- Metformin, Clomid/Letrozole, hcg trigger, progesterone
    IUI- 2/17/2017 BFP 3/2/2017! 

• Options
    Of your options, I like Callum best.  i also really like Alistair for an Old English boy's name.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    @Flowr4246 Allister is our #1 for a boy right now... its a bit more of an americanized spelling but it's the only one I've known and its not made-up so I'm ok with it
  • Options
    My husband and I love Old English names for boys. We have 3 names we really like, but we're not sure if they are TOO uncommon sounding that others would think the child's name was odd. We live in a place where you hear a lot of the same names over and over. Our first son's name is Rowan. Which of these 3 names, or none, do you prefer? Callum (pronounced CAL-um), Carrick, or Calder?

I like Callum or Calder because of the "Cal" factor (good abbreviation)-- Carrick really doesn't offer that. But as an Medievalist and Early Modern scholar I have to call out the fact that these are not Old English but Early Modern (and potentially Middle) English names. Old English names are Anglo-Saxon which are very Germanic, things like Ulfric, Aethelred, Alfwald (potential there for Alfie at least).

Still lovely choices for your boys! We love Rowan ourselves for a girl (with an "e" though, my husband insists the "e" is more feminine) if I can get my husband off of the Gaelic first names!
     <3 Married since 10/10/15 <3
    <3 Little Girl due 10/10/16 <3