September 2015 Moms

What kind of baby toothpaste do you use?

I picked up some 'Colgate 0-2 ages fluoride-free' infant toothpaste. My LO loves it! I tasted it and wow it tasted like straight sugar, lol. My DH looks at the ingredients and freaked out because 'the main chemical is what antifreeze is made of?!'
**rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck**

Propylene glycol 

He wants me to get a 'natural' toothpaste. My DH has high school chemistry classes...15 years ago....as his only chem background. He very much eats up the 'omg all chemicals are horrible' news that people put out there. Keep in mine I use a fingernails shavings worth for our son, on his 4 teeth. So, am I being horrible using this toothpaste??? Should I switch to a more 'natural' toothpaste?! Lol I keep looking up that it's safe in small doses. 

Re: What kind of baby toothpaste do you use?

• I don't think it's horrible to use, especially since you use so little. I used Tom's of Maine when DD#1 was little because it was the only one I could find in Target that didn't have flouride.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use a kids with fluoride, I believe it's a Colgate brand. They've changed so much in the last few years it's actually recommended that you use a very tiny amount of toothpaste with fluoride now to prevent cavities.
  • Loading the player...
  • shelbydd said:
    I use a kids with fluoride, I believe it's a Colgate brand. They've changed so much in the last few years it's actually recommended that you use a very tiny amount of toothpaste with fluoride now to prevent cavities.
    Isn't it crazy how everything flips flops every few years...I hadn't heard that yet.
  • RobsMrs77RobsMrs77 member
    edited August 2016
    Same here in the UK. A very small amount of
    Colgate is recommended. Jakey loves the minty taste, so it's easy to clean his little peggy's.

ETA: we've since had a visit from our health visitor and she brought some toothpaste and a tooth brush with her (along with 2 baby books, how nice?). It's a slightly milder mint. It contains 1450ppm fluoride, so we use that one now. 
  • We use Zylitol toothpaste by Epic for us so we just use that for Judah too. It's more natural and I like the taste. I got fluoride and non fluoride for him tho, and I alternate. Since he isn't getting any water yet it's his only source of fluoride. But once he gets tap water I may just use the no fluoride kind. Zylitol in toothpaste supposedly helps reduce tooth decay more than other types and DHs mom is super into all that healthy stuff so we just got on the wagon with her on this one. No idea if any of it is really true. 
  • I use Nuk. It's a gum/teeth "cleanser" and it is fluoride free. 
  • We are just using water at this point, but I will definitely be looking into the toothpaste thing. 

@LoveLee85: Your DH is wrong. Antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol. Maybe the pet safe ones are made out of propylene glycol, which is in a ton of stuff. Also, just because an ingredient is used in something non-edible that doesn't necessarily mean the ingredient isn't edible. Vinegar is a perfect example of this. And so is baking soda. 
  • My pedi emphasized toothpaste with fluoride. We use kiss my face brand so there are less chemicals but it does have stevia in it which I am not crazy about.
  • wilcoxev said:
    My pedi emphasized toothpaste with fluoride. We use kiss my face brand so there are less chemicals but it does have stevia in it which I am not crazy about.
    What is stevia?
  • I think it's a form of sweetener?! 
  • Wait. I am supposed to be using toothpaste? How long has everyone been using it?
  • Wait. I am supposed to be using toothpaste? How long has everyone been using it?
    I used the rubbery infant brushes until LO got his first tooth, that's when I switched over to an actual brush with paste.
  • Yikes! Just ordered my brush and paste on Amazon. Prime it, we've got some brushing to catch up on! Lol
  • Yikes! I didn't know I was supposed to be brushing his teeth. He only has two so far and the ped never mentioned this. Do you brush every night as part of the bedtime routine?
  • I didn't know we were suppose to use toothpaste either! I've just been using a rubber toothbrush with water.. Guess I'll be getting a training toothbrush and toothpaste on my way home! 
  • Yikes! I didn't know I was supposed to be brushing his teeth. He only has two so far and the ped never mentioned this. Do you brush every night as part of the bedtime routine?
    That's what I do! After Lo's last bottle I brush his. My pediatrician just recommended we consult with a pediatric dentist so that's what we did.
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited August 2016
    I was told to make it a happy experience, and even if it only last for 13 seconds, that's OK. Lol. We do in the AM and the PM....DH forgets sometimes. 
  • I did a little research (because my dr said not to use toothpaste and so I was alarmed to see so many suggestions on why type of toothpaste to use - eek! Was I told wrong?!?) and found several credible sources all with different advice! Yes, toothpaste. No toothpaste. Yes, fluoride. No fluoride. Man!! It's hard to know what you're doing right/wrong with so much conflicting info out there!!! 

Personally, no toothpaste for us for a while yet, just brushing with water. Here's a link to some info for any other no toothpaste mamas who are feeling crazy/wondering where they went wrong ;)

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/aap-press-room-media-center/pages/baby-tooth-care.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token

• We use those nuk rubber brushes and put a dab of toothpaste on them. Usually after breakfast or dinner when he is still in his high chair. I brush for a few seconds them let him do it himself. He loves it. His eyes light up when he sees those brushes.
  • Our pediatrician gave us a toothbrush at his 9 month apponyment (because he had so many teeth at that point) and said we didn't really need toothpaste at this point. It was more getting him used to it and again keeping it a happy experience for now. So we have just been doing water. Brushing morning and night. I let him do it first (helps tame him on the changing table) then I do it to make sure we get them all (he hs about 12 including molars ). He laughs and I sing "brusha brusha brusha" (from grease? Ha just popped in my head). He loves it. We made our first dental appointment but couldn't get in until January at this place that is awesome for kids (hence having to wait so long). So we will wait to use toothpaste until then and see what they recommend. 
  • Both our ped and our dentist recommended these spiffy wipes right before bed.  I just wipe off each tooth, and she loves it.  https://www.amazon.com/Spiffies-ToothWipes-tripack-Apple-60-Wipes/dp/B001MS7BIS/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1471877829&sr=1-1&keywords=spiffies
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • We use the same thing, @kkerner87 ! With the little silicone finger-brush? He loves it and can't wait for tooth-brushing time!