January 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM+ Week of 7/25

124»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 7/25

• Options
    So I've heard sleeping overnight in the rock n play isn't good because of flat head.  Any truth to that?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kelseyh62, I don't think so.  I think the length of time baby sleeps really contributes to it the most.  Both my kids were in the rock n play.  Baby #1 was a horrible sleeper and only slept an hour or two at a time for the longest time.  His head was fine. Baby #2 slept 8 hour stretches at night from day 1 and was sleeping 12 hours straight at night by 4 weeks old.  He ended up being fitted for a helmet at 3 months old due to flat head.  I think the same thing would have happened for him even in a crib.  He just slept for 12 hours a night in the same position and since back is best for sleeping I wasn't going to leave him on his stomach for any long period of time at that young an age.  The key is not to leave them in one thing for too long, including swings and bouncers during the day.  Change it up throughout the day.  But if you get a good sleeper like mine I am not sure what you do.   I don't know too many people that would wake a sleeping baby, especially in the middle of the night.
    DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @JLJ2012 I agree! I would never wake my sleeping baby at night! Ever! 

I think like you said, you just have to change it up during the day as much as you can. 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    @ThePax89 I think the sitter idea is a good one. Although you'll probably need someone more than once a week in the beginning. Do you have family nearby? If so, they might be able to take an afternoon a day or two a week. Also, Mother's Day out programs could work. I'd look and see what might be available in your area.

I have a very active 3 year old who is currently in daycare because I work. I plan for him to keep going during my maternity leave because I can't imagine handling him and a baby all day. 
  • Options
    I know all babies are different and grow at different rates...but about how long does it take an average baby to reach 25lbs? Just wondering if it's even worth it getting a swing, since they only work up to 20-25lbs anyway. Thanks!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj I think that it's safe to say that swings are used mostly in the beginning and by the time your child reaches that weight they probably won't want to be put in one anyways. That said it may seem unnecessary and it was for my first who didn't care for it, but it was a saving grace for my second who loved it! 

Also, my son is 13 months and he is only 21lbs so technically he could still use it, but he doesn't love it anymore. 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    @JLJ2012 that makes sense! My first even though breastfed had horrible acid reflux and I wonder if sleeping/napping in the rock n play would have helped. Thinking about different options for this one. Can I say I'm super jealous of your full night sleeper!!! Lol My Mom said I slept through the night for 8 hours at two weeks and I was always hopeful with mine! 5 months to the day before he slept through the night! 
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj 11 month old is huge.  85% for weight and height at his last visit and he is only 22 or 23 lbs. Like @scgirl6113 said most babies will be done with the swing before they hit those numbers.  I think we stopped napping in the swing around 5 or 6 months and like I said...my baby was big! He still fit in it but I was just ready to have him moved into his crib around then. 
  • Options
    @JLJ2012 that makes sense! My first even though breastfed had horrible acid reflux and I wonder if sleeping/napping in the rock n play would have helped. Thinking about different options for this one. Can I say I'm super jealous of your full night sleeper!!! Lol My Mom said I slept through the night for 8 hours at two weeks and I was always hopeful with mine! 5 months to the day before he slept through the night! 
    I'm jealous of yours! Neither of mine slept through until 10 months lol. I'm hoping this next one is my unicorn sleeper. 
  • Options
    My son slept 10-12 hours at night and took 2-3 naps during the day.  I think the flat head syndrome depends on the baby - no flat head here.  We used a flat bassinet and crib.  I baby-wore a lot through the day though and was always trying to keep him moving positions while awake... Tummy time, rolling, lap sitting, swing, etc.  flat head syndrome was my ever present fear.  My doctor assured me my son was fine and we weren't going to have a problem.  He also said that studies now show that they don't do the helmets much anymore unless it's severe because they haven't shown to do much.

i loved having a swing and my son loved it.  I remember being able to eat Easter dinner with all the family eating because my son was happy swinging right next to us.  We also used it when he had a bad cold a couple times. I turned on the warm humidifier to help the mucus flow and come up with coughing and he happily slept in the swing, in a upright reclined position, then too so we didn't have to worry about him having breathing issues.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    JLJ2012JLJ2012 member
    edited July 2016

@Wholesome, good to hear your experience with a good sleeper, too.  If I am lucky enough to get another good sleeper I will definitely babywear more during the day.  Flat head was not on my radar at all and I feel like I could have done more to prevent it had I noticed it earlier.  Treatment did make a difference for us, thankfully. 

@sweetyjenj, the swing is a toss up.  You probably won't use it after 6 months.  Your baby may hate it, like my first did.  But...if your baby loves it it will be a lifesaver!  Do you have any friends with babies that would let you try one out for a few days before you buy?

@Brennansmom2012 and @ElleMF728, I hope you get good sleepers this time around! I lucked out with my second for sure.  I know I will not get that lucky again and am preparing myself for the worst.  My first was a horrible sleeper, I really hope baby #3 is not as bad as he was.

DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I know all babies are different and grow at different rates...but about how long does it take an average baby to reach 25lbs? Just wondering if it's even worth it getting a swing, since they only work up to 20-25lbs anyway. Thanks!
    @sweetyjenj my DD is 21 months and weighs 24 pounds. My daughter was over the swing by 6 months. 
  • Options
    This might be helpful for you.  The US uses the WHO growth standards for child growth tracking percentiles.  It's good to be in the 50th percentile or more.

Boys: 
    https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/grchrt_boys_24lw_100611.pdf

Girls: 
    https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/grchrt_girls_24lw_9210.pdf
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    @wholesome thanks for sharing that!! It's helpful to know! I have no idea what is "typical" for weight and length. DH was 12lbs when born and I was 8.5lbs. I'm SO nervous I'll have a big baby!!!!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    Wholesome said:
    This might be helpful for you.  The US uses the WHO growth standards for child growth tracking percentiles.  It's good to be in the 50th percentile or more.

Boys: 
    https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/grchrt_boys_24lw_100611.pdf

Girls: 
    https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/grchrt_girls_24lw_9210.pdf
    I don't think it's accurate to say that it's "good" to be in the 50th percentile or more.  That directly says that it's bad to the in the 49th or lower.  50% of babies are in the top half and 50% are in the bottom half...being in the larger/heavier half is not better or healthier than being in the smaller/lighter half.
    True.  The percentile itself doesn't really matter.  What pediatricians use it for is to see if LO generally sticks close to a growth curve.  5% is just as good as 95%, some babies are just small, or in our case big :)
  • Options
    @colleenkevin yes I agree. The important thing about growth curves is that your child stays in the general curve. So if they are in the 10th% that doesn't mean they are unhealthy. They may be perfectly healthy. What your doctor will look for is to make sure they stay in that range and don't fall off the chart or sky rocket super quick. 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    My baby was 2.5 years old and would have still fit into the weight restrictions, but he's small. :)
  • Options
    @wholesome thanks for sharing that!! It's helpful to know! I have no idea what is "typical" for weight and length. DH was 12lbs when born and I was 8.5lbs. I'm SO nervous I'll have a big baby!!!!
    Not necessarily! I was 9.2lbs and DH was 8.5lbs Our first was 6.14lbs. My friend just gave birth to a 9.1lb boy and both her and her hubby were around 7lbs when born.
  • Options
    it must have just been my doctor who wanted us on the 50th percentile line.  Sorry.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Wholesome said:
    it must have just been my doctor who wanted us on the 50th percentile line.  Sorry.
    I think it can be really frustrating how all doctors can say different things. I have found this even among some of the different pediatricians in our practice! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    @Wholesome Yeah our doctor was never worried about our -2 percentile baby because at every single appointment she was following the same growth pattern. She was growing consistently and proportionately so he didn't care that she was petite. But my SIL has a daughter who was the same size and her pediatrician was like "omg give that kid butter on everything". 
    @sweetyjenj our daughter is 1 and 15 pounds, she still fits in her swing and bouncer but isnt too interested in them but that being said they were both life savers when she was teeny. Totally worth the cost in my opinion. 
    flat heads and sleeping our daughter spent all her naps and 10-12 hours at night in her crib and usually when I showered she was in her swing or bouncer but she loveddddd tummy time so she spent the rest of the day on her belly most of the time. She never had any flattening from being in her crib but I definitely watched for it because my husband has a flat head from being in the hospital on his back as a baby. 
  • Options
    @Wholesome Yeah our doctor was never worried about our -2 percentile baby because at every single appointment she was following the same growth pattern. She was growing consistently and proportionately so he didn't care that she was petite. But my SIL has a daughter who was the same size and her pediatrician was like "omg give that kid butter on everything". 
    Haha.  Our doctor actually said the exact same thing to us.  Hahahaha.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Wholesome said:
    Haha.  Our doctor actually said the exact same thing to us.  Hahahaha.
    Yes, I have a kid that's always in the single digits on his growth percentile chart, but he contines to grow on his pace. He's just smaller than most other kids his age. Doctor isn't concerned as long as he's still growing. 
  • Options
    @kelseyh62 Flat head syndrome can really depend on a lot of things. My son had Brachycephaly (a version of flat head syndrome where the whole back is flat vs a spot on the side being flat) and ended up with a remolding helmet. How the baby is positioned in utero, gestational age at birth, and sex can play a role in it as much as always being on their back. In my research and in talking with our physical therapist positional devices can also contribute to flat heads. This includes swings, bouncy seats, car seats, really anything where they are propped in a single position. Obviously we need to use car seats but she said where possible wear him instead of carrying him around in the infant carrier, and you have to put your child down occasionally and if a swing or bouncy seat calms them then there is no problem just to not leave him in there for extended periods of time. I classify the rock n' play in the category of a "positional device" based on what our PT said. A lot of babies never have a problem with flat head syndrome and sleep in their rock n' play overnight but I personally wouldn't have my baby sleeping overnight in one, especially if there are any signs of flat head, because of what we learned but it doesn't mean that it may not be the right solution for someone else. That said, babies still should sleep on their back until they can role over on their own. Sleeping, even 10-14 hours at a time is fine, but making sure that baby is getting lots of tummy time throughout the day is important.  Ok, that is my rant on flat head syndrome.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    No new thread yet for this week, so I'm asking here.  Anyone have feedback on the free BRU parenting/pregnancy classes? Are they any good or should we just stick to the paid ones at the hospital?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kelseyh62 Our hospital offers free ones that are good. No feedback on the BRU one's but I'd say it more depends on who is facilitating them. The hospital one's are nice because at ours, the nurses that are facilitating them have worked or currently work in the labor and delivery area so they have some pretty good experience. However, that doesn't mean the BRU one's aren't going to be good. I say if they are free and work in your schedule, try a few out. Even if you end up paying for other one's in some cases the more information you get the better. We did Bradley Method classes that we paid for and got a lot more out of those than the actual birthing classes at the hospital but I think that's more because the Bradley Method classes were more focused, smaller based, and lasted 12 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

@BriannaE129129 ha I saw that last week too! I think I posted about it on here but not sure if the tag worked. Are you going to get it?

I'm getting a hand me down bugaboo from my SIL, and am waiting to find out what model it is and whether it will be compatible with the Nuna seat (the stroller is a few years old) before I buy anything new... Though now that I'm thinking about it, Nordstrom has a great return policy so maybe I should jump on the sale and return it later if it's unnecessary. Hmm. 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    @KRB22 I get it, hand me downs are great and bugaboo is an awesome brand. and i just looked back and saw your post, I don't know how I missed it?

I must confess that I went and bought it last night! I couldn't resist the sale, it was a such a good deal and everything I wanted in one stroller. The black touches and chrome wheels are cool too. I justified it since the Ivvi would be $1000 with the bassinet, this was only $590 so it's a win win :)
    BabyFetus Ticker