March 2016 Moms

Mother in law WTF moments

amyidamyid member
edited July 2016 in March 2016 Moms
just so I don't lose my sanity - please tell me I'm not the only one who wonders what planet their MIL lives on,
MIL wtf of the week: reminding me Monday night in front of extended family that it was my husbands birthday today,(because I don't know my husbands birthday???) then she doesn't even send a card, he got a text (she owns a gift shop so you'd think ?)

at this point I think I have atleast one good WTF a week from her 

Re: Mother in law WTF moments

• Both of my sons look just like me, but she won't admit it. She always finds a new person in her family that they look like - example: their great uncles. *eye roll* 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will say MIL is much better now than with my first. She used to have to come over once during the week AND weekend or else we got all these emotional text messages. 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL has an over excitable dog that can get mouthy and had nipped at people when feeling overly playful. last weekend her fiancé had my son on his lap and let the dog get too close for my comfort. Well she got a little mouthy with my son because he is in the "grab and touch everything within reach" phase and although she didn't bite down, she got overly excited and her teeth did come out. And nobody said or did anything to correct her. This dog has bitten me and my fiancé when hyped up. needless to say I grabbed my son right away but still. There should be ZERO risk of a 4 month old being bitten 
  • My MIL is a NIGHTMARE. Think of every awful stereotype and she is worse. After our daughter was born we moved back to Australia (I'm American), but recently I have been feeing quite homesick as my best friend of 22 years is getting married and we can't afford to fly back for her wedding (I also had to say no to being maid of honor, hardest conversation ever but you make sacrifices for your family). I'm also raising my first child on the other side of the world from my family...... When I expressed the slightest disappointment at not being able to go back for it and it making me a little homesick, she told me I was overreacting and that I should be happy I get to live in such a great city as Sydney, that's it's much better than where I'm from.
  • amyidamyid member
    @jaclyngoldman I totally know where you are coming from, I live on the opposite side of the world from my family and any time I mention even going back to England for vacation I get a guilt trip as if I'm running away never to return. 
    My baby was christened this past week and I didn't even get a photo with her because I was too busy setting up and tidying up alone afterwards... Needless to say, the only photos of my daughter from the day have my SIL and MIL on them, not me :/ 
    @SmallyMcSmall and I totally get the dog thing, my MIL and FIL have a crazy dog too that nips and I'm pretty scared its gonna happen someday ( already done it to me ) 
  • My MIL swore up and down that i was trying to turn her children (my husband and SIL) against her and that i was trying to keep my daughter away from her. She said she was surprised that i was good at changing diapers and dispensing medicine to my daughter, she didn't think I'd be able to handle being a mother and then turned around and told my husband that i was a shitty mom....WTF. Needless to say, we're not that close anymore. Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • amyidamyid member
    Ha ! I've had that one too ! Gotta love them 
  • My mil stayed at our house while we were on vacation and lost her meds and our house key. She lost it on me over it Monday and accused me of stealing all kinds of off the wall items from her. She was digging through our outside trash and scratched me while I was holding the baby. She refused to leave despite me asking at least 5 times. Later when DH went to talk to her she went off on him about how I am going to ruin his life. One minute she thinks I'm great and the next she is suing that at 25 I'm too young to be a mom or that I just used DH to get through school. Thanks for letting me vent
  • amyidamyid member
    edited August 2016

on the other hand, unless my kids are dating criminals or maniacs, we all now know to be great MILs right ? 
  • Some of your stories are crazy! And I know venting helps but please remember how lucky you are to have a MIL to drive you crazy. My MIL passed away a year before I married into the family and I'd give anything to have a crazy story from her and get to argue with her. 
    But I get having a MIL driving you crazy. My FIL started dating right after my first son was born. Literally right after talk about an emotional roller coaster. I bawled my eyes out. His girlfriend is NUTS! Talks to herself. Had a dog that hated kids. Nipped at my sons face luckily didnt touch him but she did nothing. I live in apt attached to my FIL house so the dog was always around. Now with my second son she didn't meet him until he was 3 months old. She NEVER walked over to say hi or congratulations. I wish my MIL was around still so this nut job was gone. I have no idea what my kids will call her. She won't be grandma but I don't want her to be called by her first name-find that disrespectful. 
  • @swimflipper she didn't walk over for 3 MONTHS?! That's ridiculous. 

I always called my parents friends Mrs. (First Name) and Mr. (first name). Maybe just add Ms. and go with that? I wouldn't be too worried about what they call her...usually something eventually comes naturally.