March 2017 Moms

GTKY-What do you do for a living?

Re: GTKY-What do you do for a living?

• vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    Perfusionist. We operate the heart-lung machine during open heart surgeries. 
    Whoa that seems very unique and specific! How did you get to that job?
    You have to attend a perfusion school, which I think there are about 25 programs in the US. I went to the one at the Cleveland Clinic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kiyamurph said:
    vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    You have to attend a perfusion school, which I think there are about 25 programs in the US. I went to the one at the Cleveland Clinic. 
    I'm sorry I meant what made you decide to do such a unique job? 
  • vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    Doh! Sorry! One of my professors told me about it back in 2007. I had no idea what I was going to do in the medical field and he threw out some ideas. When he mentioned perfusion, I had to look into it since I wasn't sure what it was and what it entailed. After looking into it, I decided that it sounded pretty cool and went for it. I liked that it was a year and a half post grad program and I didn't need to spend the rest of my life in school. I like that it's unique and not everyone can do what I do. 
  • @EnglishTeacherMama I joke about it being useless, but the ability to read and write is not as common as some people think. My boss will only hire English majors. 

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kiyamurph said:
    vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    vino831 said:
    kiyamurph said:
    Doh! Sorry! One of my professors told me about it back in 2007. I had no idea what I was going to do in the medical field and he threw out some ideas. When he mentioned perfusion, I had to look into it since I wasn't sure what it was and what it entailed. After looking into it, I decided that it sounded pretty cool and went for it. I liked that it was a year and a half post grad program and I didn't need to spend the rest of my life in school. I like that it's unique and not everyone can do what I do. 
    Absolutely very neat! Going from hs to the military I'm always curious how people get into unique professions. I just fell into what I do. I just told my hubs about what you did. He has an uncle he's close to that had an open heart surgery years ago. 
  • @DaniBanani16 I know what it is!  I'm finishing up my Master's in Higher Ed and Student Affairs!! :smile: what area do you work in?! 
  • @irishrose54 Teachers burn out quickly these days, sadly, and SPED teachers burn out even faster for the reasons you listed. I feel very fortunate working where I am - it's a small, rural community, and I've had administrative support since day 1. My cohort who started at the same time I did and worked with the same level and grades of students did not have such a solid footing and has just left. I certainly have my moments of stress and can feel overwhelmed at times, but I do honestly feel I've found my niche!

That said, I can see myself becoming a SPED consultant, speech-language therapist, or a school psychologist one day. I tell people -  If I'm still teaching in 20 more years, that's awesome. That means I've wanted to continue doing it. But I also won't be surprised if I'm in a different career either, because I don't ever want to feel like I'm stuck doing something. 

I think as long as you enjoy what you are doing and have the confidence to do the job, that's what matters. No one wins when you're burnt out and can't feel like you can give 100%. I applaud you for starting out fresh! If you ever go back to teaching, it'll be because you're ready. :smile: 
  • @afbaby0715 That's awesome. I majored in chemical engineering and then ran far away. Too much stress for me.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @datalover13 - Definitely high stress!!!  Already counting down until maternity leave lol
  • @dubcompanion it's so great that you have such great support at your district!! If you want to go for ldtc, psychology etc. whatever it is, I'm sure you'll make it happen! It's nice to switch it up sometimes. 
    I will definitely only go back when/if I feel fully ready. The kids wouldn't get a good teacher out of me otherwise

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am teacher too! Well kind of - I am a substitute and am starting my credential program in social science in the fall. I have a long term sub job though for the first semester while I am going to school.  I am going to be very busy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Finallyhismrs07 & @onefootinthebayou  My DH works for a big CRO.  I worked there for a year too (in 2014) but came back to a sponsor company.  I'm much happier on this side of things.  Being on the service side is really hard.  Especially if you have a hideous sponsor team like I did when I was there!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @DaniBanani16 I know what it is!  I'm finishing up my Master's in Higher Ed and Student Affairs!! :smile: what area do you work in?! 
    Hey @SparklingJules23, congrats on nearly finishing your Masters! I currently work in student leadership development and student activities. How exciting to have another SAPro in this group!! What functional areas are you looking at? 
  • kiyamurph said:
    @kiyamurph that's so neat!  When I was in nursing school, I got a chance to sit with a perfusionist during an open heat procedure in my OR rotation.  Probably one of the most fascinating things I learned about.
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
    Hey @SparklingJules23, congrats on nearly finishing your Masters! I currently work in student leadership development and student activities. How exciting to have another SAPro in this group!! What functional areas are you looking at? 
    Yeah, this is super exciting @DaniBanani16!! I love finding people who know what the field is and even more so when they work in it! :smile: I have most of my experience in Academic advising and career services, but when I graduate I'll also be looking at jobs in Institutional Research and Service or Applied learning/leadership. 

I'm a little worried about graduating and job hunting with a 2 month old ... I don't have many institutions around me, so if I can't find anything within the hour commute we will have to relocate. But, I guess this is better than starting out in the field and having to take maternity leave soon after! I am just so excited and antsy to get into the field and finally get to do a job I LOVE! 
  • edited August 2016
    Operations manager for one of the largest insurance companies in the world. I manage 4 departments in 2 different states (out of state remotely thankfully only travel once or twice a year)  for commercial general liability, workers comp and malpractice. Always keeps me busy!! 
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited August 2016
    SSChapman said:
    Currently home with my youngest.  Graduated in 2013 with my BSN and became a licensed RN but was never able to find a job - couldn't even get an interview.  It's hard not to dwell on my dreams slipping away sometimes but I try to stay focused on being able to spend time with my littles!

My mom owns a catering company so I help out there on the weekends when she needs it.  
    Oh girl I so feel your pain. It took me YEARS to get a perfusion job. After graduating from the Cleveland Clinic I didn't think I'd have a problem finding a job since the CC has been number one in heart surgery for years. It's world renowned and I got the best training possible. But finding a job was another story and I almost gave up completely. Took me 5 years. Keep putting yourself out there. You have the training. All you need is a foot in the door.
  • SSChapman said:
    Currently home with my youngest.  Graduated in 2013 with my BSN and became a licensed RN but was never able to find a job - couldn't even get an interview.  It's hard not to dwell on my dreams slipping away sometimes but I try to stay focused on being able to spend time with my littles!

My mom owns a catering company so I help out there on the weekends when she needs it.  
    I hear ya.  I graduated in 2010, took me 6 months just to find a job, and that job was in a nursing home working NOCs.  That job was basically 10 months of hell.  Finally was able to find my dream job of doing outpatient ortho.  Hang in there, it can be done!!
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SparklingJules23 I'm not certain how we can connect on a personal level, but if you need any help with the job search, let me know. Best of luck to you! I know this will likely be a very busy academic year for you - especially the Spring! 

• @kjd291  sounds like an awesome job! any fun past projects??
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am an HR Manager for a state agency. I'm very lucky in that the agency is very flexible. They will allow me to take up to a year off for maternity!
    UGH I am very jelly of your agency's maternity leave! My organization had regulations allowing up to 180 calendar days of leave for extended illness/disability. But as of next month, they are doing away with that and leaving it up to a solely case by case basis for ADA and the standard 12 weeks for FMLA. So sad about this because I had my leave saved up!  :'(

Me: 27 - DH: 33

Married: June 2011

TTC #1: January 2016

BFP #1: February 22nd 2016  MC w/ Misoprostol: March 21st 2016 -Blighted Ovum

BFP #2: July 6th 2016  EDD: March 15th 2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

M17 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• I work in HR at the wonderful Booz Allen Hamilton in DC. I studied Art History in school- so I can totally relate to those 'silly degrees' that never get put to use ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 I DH: 28
    Married: 5-1-15
    EDD: 3-26-17 (GIRL!) I FTM
  • I'm late to the game, but fascinated by reading about everyone's careers!  Lots of healthcare professionals, teachers and lawyers in group.  
    I am a Sr. Quality Systems Manufacturer for a global food manufacturing company.  We are mostly food service with very little retail branded items.  I work mostly with regulatory compliance, policy and procedures and food safety compliance.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker