December 2015 Moms
Options

Baby's first swim

My SIL is all about wanting to take my DD swimming. That's fine and all, but I want to be the one to take her into the pool for the first time. I feel this is a big first that I want to do and no one else (except my husband, of course).
Am I being too neurotic? Tomorrow when my SIL wants to take my daughter swimming, would it be rude of me to tell her I want to do it? 

Re: Baby's first swim

• Options
    Not at all! 
  • Options
    I think it's perfectly understandable for you to want to do all her firsts. She can take you LO later on.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe you could ask her to take lots of pictures so she's included but I definitely think you should take her first.
  • Options
    My LO went swimming the other day for the first time with his older brothers and cousin. He didn't even cry at how cold the water was. I was suprised. I would just tell your SIL that you want to be the first to put baby in the water and then she can. She shouldn't be upset, I would think. 
  • Options
    DS wakes so happy in the water he squealed with delight, I wouldn't want someone to witness that that wasn't me for the first time. So I think it's perfectly understandable and if she doesn't understand then she can deal with it 
  • Options
    Not rude, trust me, you DEFINITELY want to be there. It's so amazing! Olive didn't cry or freak out but she was just amazed and stunned into silence. It was a wonderful experience for me. But if she HAD been scared, i would have wanted to be there too. Mummy is comfort. 
  • Options
    Nope completely understandable. I want to be there for all my babies first. And I told my MIL if he does anything on her watch not to even tell me because it's not the first time until mama sees it!! I know that is selfish but hey.. He's my baby and I'm going to be selfish with him and I don't feel an ounce of guilt about it. And if your SIL doesn't understand then who cares! 
  • Options
    If she has a problem with that then that's her problem you definitely don't want to miss her first swim