December 2015 Moms

Baby's first swim

My SIL is all about wanting to take my DD swimming. That's fine and all, but I want to be the one to take her into the pool for the first time. I feel this is a big first that I want to do and no one else (except my husband, of course).
Am I being too neurotic? Tomorrow when my SIL wants to take my daughter swimming, would it be rude of me to tell her I want to do it? 

Re: Baby's first swim

• Not at all! 
  • I think it's perfectly understandable for you to want to do all her firsts. She can take you LO later on.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe you could ask her to take lots of pictures so she's included but I definitely think you should take her first.
  • My LO went swimming the other day for the first time with his older brothers and cousin. He didn't even cry at how cold the water was. I was suprised. I would just tell your SIL that you want to be the first to put baby in the water and then she can. She shouldn't be upset, I would think. 
  • DS wakes so happy in the water he squealed with delight, I wouldn't want someone to witness that that wasn't me for the first time. So I think it's perfectly understandable and if she doesn't understand then she can deal with it 
  • Not rude, trust me, you DEFINITELY want to be there. It's so amazing! Olive didn't cry or freak out but she was just amazed and stunned into silence. It was a wonderful experience for me. But if she HAD been scared, i would have wanted to be there too. Mummy is comfort. 
  • Nope completely understandable. I want to be there for all my babies first. And I told my MIL if he does anything on her watch not to even tell me because it's not the first time until mama sees it!! I know that is selfish but hey.. He's my baby and I'm going to be selfish with him and I don't feel an ounce of guilt about it. And if your SIL doesn't understand then who cares! 
  • If she has a problem with that then that's her problem you definitely don't want to miss her first swim