March 2017 Moms

Now what

My blood test came back great, ultrasound came back great. we got to see the heart beat. Since I got home I've have horrible lower back pain, and now just started spotting. I remember cramping whenever I got an exam with my first. I'm praying it's all okay. Anyone else spot after they had a vaginal ultrasound

Re: Now what

• I don't have experience with this but I remember reading that it's quite common - especially with first transvaginal ultrasounds of a pregnancy. Congrats on hearing that heartbeat!! That must have been a special moment for you :)
  • Last pregnancy I had a vaginal because I was already spotting. But I do remember being told even after a regular ultrasound that spotting may happen and if it does to monitor it, if it got worse to call in the morning. I'm not a doctor, but it does seem pretty common. FX for you
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have personal experience with spotting, but it can be totally normal during pregnancy, and things like sex or an ultrasound (especially a transvaginal one) can irritate your cervix and cause some spotting.

Keep an eye on it -- brown or light pink in small quantities is generally okay. You don't want it to be bright red or heavy enough to saturate a pad. But if you're continuing to worry, give your OB's office a call! They should have a nurse hotline that you can speak to in order to get more information and try to settle your nerves.
  • I had some brown spotting after my first vaginal ultrasound with my daughter around 7 weeks. Drink water and rest and keep an eye on it. It's usually just the cervix was irritated. 
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker