March 2017 Moms

Genetic Testing?

Yay or nay? We didn't with our DS, doc was pretty "meh" about it since we're young and don't have any family history of anything. She mentioned it again this time and I keep going back and forth. Thoughts??
Alex
married to M since 6.13.09
T - 3.3.14
A - 2.24.17

Re: Genetic Testing?

• There's pros and cons to both. Last time I requested none but then they pointed out that our baby's nucal fold was thick (possibly indicating DS) so we did more blood work but still no amnio. I read a book on Down syndrome so I felt prepared. Our son was born without Down syndrome though so, on the bright side we are still prepared for any future babies or children in our lives. 
    If you don't think you would abort, but would want to be ready. It's a good plan. that was ours anyway. 
  • Thank you for starting this thread! I was thinking about this today. I'm curious to see everybody's responses. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm torn on the NT scan. We did it last time but we aren't particularly high risk so I hesitate to do it this go round. Someone convince me one way or the other please. 

The benefit to finding out, for us anyway, would be so that there are adequate medical personnel available at the birth if necessary. 
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • The testing is a no go for me, but I would have liked to participate.  I'm under 30 and have no other known factors so my insurance won't cover it at all.  For $900, it's just not a smart option right now.
  • We're definitely doing it. I'm 35 so I'm right at that age where I'm considered to be a "geriatric" pregnant person, which of course comes with more risks for defects and whatnot. If something was wrong the baby, I wouldn't want to be surprised. I'd like to prepare myself for what lies ahead. Thankfully our insurance covers all of the typical genetic tests. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    None for me.  I personally don't believe in it.  I trust that any physical issues with baby that would need to be known to aid in a healthy birth and post birth care process are able to be determined at the 20week scan. 
  • chrlyrchrlyr member
    We didn't with DS because we were younger and our doctor didn't really see a reason for it. We will this time around since I'm 35. Insurance should cover all of the tests due to the "elderly multigravida". 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are 26 and like others have said, I don't think our insurance will cover it.  I think it might raise more anxiety about potential issues that it's too late to control...
  • We did blood tests last time around so we could prepare if necessary.  I was 40 with first so the risk was there and I wanted to be prepared if any other necessary services would be needed.  Nothing showed on blood tests so no further testing.  Not sure I would do anything other than the blood test.  I will be doing blood tests again but don't think I will have to do both the tests I did last go since I know I don't carry certain genes. 
  • I've been thinking about this too. I'm not sure if my OBGYN will want me to test or if my insurance will cover it, but I'll definitely get the testing done if insurance will cover it. I would want to know to better prepare myself.  I don't think I would want a  NT scan, but I would like to do a NIPT blood test.

Me: 27 - DH: 33

Married: June 2011

TTC #1: January 2016

BFP #1: February 22nd 2016  MC w/ Misoprostol: March 21st 2016 -Blighted Ovum

BFP #2: July 6th 2016  EDD: March 15th 2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

M17 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• I had two different tests done not sure the names but insurance fully covered one and paid a portion of the other.  I had to pay $500 out of pocket. I thought it was worth it 
  • I'll definitely be doing it.  
  • We did the 1st tri blood work and NT screening with DS despite not having risk factors for it, and will again with this pregnancy. Like @meq124 said, as a nurse I've seen families experience these genetic issues first hand, and though our chances are slim, I'd like to be prepared. It also helps that my insurance also covers the full cost.
  • My OB scheduled me for it automatically... I didn't realize it was an optional thing. Now I'm not sure how much to expect to pay. Shoot. Off to do more research I guess. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

*TW* - BFP & MC in March 2016.
    BFP in June 2016; EDD March 2017.
    Samuel born February 2017! 

• I went back and forth with it my first pregnancy, and ended up doing the NT/quad screen. DH has two cousins with down syndrome, which puts us at a slightly higher risk and it gave me piece of mind. It is scary to hear about the false positive tests though, my friend was told her baby may have down syndrome, but she ended up not having it. I think it's a totally personal choice, we may do it again honestly just to get in an extra ultrasound at 12 weeks. 
  • For me, yes.  I'm over 35.  I'm meeting with a genetic counselor in 2 weeks and will have the Harmony test.  I'll go with their recommendations on whatever else would be beneficial.
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • JAGinMIJAGinMI member
    edited July 2016
    There is very little that the genetic test could tell me that would matter so I do not do the tests. I trust that the anatomy scan will tell me anything we need to know to be prepared at birth. Also, I know that it is likely not the norm, but I have heard so many stories about being told something at these tests that made the mom worry basically her entire pregnancy, only for an absolutely healthy baby to arrive. I am not interested in that possibility.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • My OB scheduled me for it automatically... I didn't realize it was an optional thing. Now I'm not sure how much to expect to pay. Shoot. Off to do more research I guess. 
    Wow! I have never heard of not being given the choice! 

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • We will most likely be doing it. We have genetic conditions on both sides of the family which make us at risk and I also have a chronic condition. I would just like to know ahead of time if there is anything to be concerned about...I usually think worst case scenario for everything. Ours was $200 out of pocket last time, so if it's similar we will do it.
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Dr. Seuss
  • We will most likely do the testing. There's a genetic mental disability in my family (undiagnosed because they can't figure out what it is, my cousins have actually been studied).

My Aunt refused to listen to the doctors when they said that there was something wrong with my cousin during prenatal visits. He almost died and was life flighted to a hospital with a NICU.  It's far better to be prepared than to go in with no knowledge.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• I am 37.  I will have the testing so I can make informed decisions about the pregnancy.  Bonus about finding out the gender super early.  The benefits of being geriatric!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Thanks, everyone! I think we'll probably do it, just to be prepared for anything. Now to find out what my insurance covers...
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17