March 2017 Moms

Preggo pants!

Alright I need a little help here. My regular work pants are getting a little tight from the bloating/slowly growing belly. I'm looking for some maternity pants, but looking online, they look like they might be a little TOO much just yet. 
Moms, what were your experiences buying some maternity clothes? When did you find you really needed them? 
DH: 29
Me: 27
Married 9/20/14 
BFP: 7/3/16
EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Preggo pants!

• Month 4 I started to really get a bump. For now I am reining in the blump with leggings and the elastic band trick. You can get belly bands to cover your gaping pantsb, and it looks like layered shirts. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FTM, but I just ordered a pair of low panel jeans from old navy.  They were like $30, so didn't break the bank.  Hopefully they will keep me comfortable for a little bit!
    *TW* 
    Me: 35 | DH: 38
    Met: 2007
    Married: 2013

BFP #1: 06/21/16                MMC: 08/04/16
    BFP #2: 01/08/17             DD: 09/23/17 <3
    BFP #3: 06/10/20             EDD: 02/11/2021

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a big fan of black boot cut yoga pants. I wear them to work every day (our office is casual dress). I also bought maternity jeans today. They were $35 but target was running a promo where you get $10 off if you try them on first... So $25, in the end. I likely won't wear them while the weather is hot, but I'll be pregnant all winter.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll be honest, last time around I was able to get away with the ponytail holder trick and the belly band, and only had to buy a size up until about 4 months. But even though I lost all of my baby weight while I was on maternity leave, I still kept wearing the maternity pant because I didn't want to spend money on new clothes. They stayed up fine even without a belly.
  • Use a Bella band or be band - you won't have to button your pants then. The first time around I didn't need maternity pants until about 20 wks.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • I wore a lot of dresses when my pants became too tight for the hair tie trick (I never liked the belly band), and then wore dresses which are much more forgiving. Then half way through I bought one pair of black maternity pants.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second the try it on wisdom. I hated maternity pants. I'm short (5'2") and slender. They were always baggy in weird places, gave me a camel toe and just plain old didn't fit. I lived in leggings and dresses and skirts. Not saying you won't find luck, just there's no way to know how it'll fit online.
  • With my first I was able to use the hair band trick for most of my pregnancy. When that stopped working I cut an old cami in half and used it as a makeshift belly band. Only owned a couple pairs of maternity pants! I did just buy some low panel ones from the Gap on clearance... we'll see how those work.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @AverageAsh I never liked low panel either. They always felt like they were falling down
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Thanks ladies! I think I'll do the belly bands for now and take a serious trip to the mall once the bump starts to get real! 
    DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• Ok tall ladies. Wtf do you do for maternity pants?! I swear they all have like 30" inseams. I have a 36" inseam and cannot find any maternity pants long enough

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• korpisarkorpisar member
    edited July 2016
    @blackberry1006 have you checked destination maternity? Last time around I was able to buy longs there. I'm 5'9 and they worked great for me - they were even a little long on me

edit: long or tall I can't remember :)
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Ok tall ladies. Wtf do you do for maternity pants?! I swear they all have like 30" inseams. I have a 36" inseam and cannot find any maternity pants long enough
    Oh man, I thought my 34" inseam was tough to deal with. Honestly, the two I bought for my first pregnancy were just high waters. It was really super annoying. But I'm cheap. I hear JC Penney has some. I think Gap/Old Navy has some, but they might only go to 34" inseam. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I'll never understand why maternity clothing manufacturers think all pregnant ladies are one size
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    Last pregnancy (my first) I got basic black gap maternity dress pants and wore them from about 8 week bloat onward to work.  No one knows they're maternity-personally I chose to just skip the belly band and go straight for the pants. And you'll never want to go back <3 

I also did lots and lots of higher waisted skirts, maxi skirts, and dresses for work attire. 

This time, surprisingly,  I'm not bloating as much. So it hasn't been an issue yet. 

Old Navy, H&M, Target... All have pretty cheap basic maternity options easy to find at a local mall. 
  • I went shopping with my mom over the weekend and she talked me into buying some maternity jeans at Target that just had a little triangle of stretchy material on each side of the waist. I love them! I am definitely already wearing them. I may never go back. They were only 35 and I had the 10 dollar off coupon as well.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • korpisar said:
    Use a Bella band or be band - you won't have to button your pants then. The first time around I didn't need maternity pants until about 20 wks.
    This. planning on buying another one of these soon for my jeans
  • Does anyone know of any great black maternity leggings that do a good job hiding cellulite? I want them ASAP.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • @jaginmi Surprisingly, my last pregnancy I found great black maternity leggings at Walmart.

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I am hoping my Lularoe leggings get me through this pregnancy.

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Maternity pants are the best thing ever!! And I only do full panel or leggings. I was a size 27 beefier I got knocked up last time and a 28 now so I never lost that last 5 but I am okay with that. 

I will ill use my same maternity pants and probably get a couple new ones. They are the best at Thanksgiving and I wore them after the baby too until my other pants fit better. I hate squeezing into things.

i had a good friend tell me not to go too cheap on the pants if it is your first. You will use them again. And the cheapies will wear just like that. The only thing worse than being hormonal and big is feeling like you have nothing cute to wear. Lucky for us we can all do leggings tunic and boots!!

• korpisar said:
    @blackberry1006 have you checked destination maternity? Last time around I was able to buy longs there. I'm 5'9 and they worked great for me - they were even a little long on me

edit: long or tall I can't remember :)
    @korpisar I will have to try there! Thank you so much!

• I started wearing maternity pants about 4 months with my DS.  Still wearing those pants!  DS is one the end of August.  I'm about 15 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight so I'm not quite in my old clothes and I refuse to buy a bunch in different sizes.  Looks like I'll just keep wearing my maternity pants.  I gained 70 lbs with my son and taught aerobics the whole time not sure how that happens lol but it did.  I'm vowing not to gain that much this time.  You def have to try on.  All the pants said if I was a small pre pregnancy than I would get small in maternity clothes.... Not so.  When I bought my pants I had t gained that much.  I'm pretty shapely and to had to buy a large even though I had only gained 7 lbs at the time I bought pants.  I was however able to wear the same pants through pregnancy despite the amount I gained.