March 2017 Moms

Any STM or plus worried or not looking forward to birth?

Any insight from moms with more than 2 would be great! 
I had a terrible birth recovery from a vaginal birth, I couldnt urinate due to the terrible UTI I got, I was swollen for weeks and I cried everytime I had to pee.. I held my pee for 24 hours due to this.. it was traumatic. 
I know childbirth isn't pretty or flowery but anyone have any insight that births after your first aren't as terrible or is it just the luck of the draw? 

Re: Any STM or plus worried or not looking forward to birth?

• I have horror story births. Both life threatening. One c-section, one vaginal. But I'm not as scared of the birth as I am just overall concerned/anxious about getting through the pregnancy and having a healthy child. 
  • Yes, I'm worried about this birth.

TW

- I had a very traumatic birth experience with DS that ended in a STAT emergency C-section under general anesthesia. From the time the decision was made to the time I was put under was about 6 minutes total. It happened extremely fast and was very scary. I didn't even know that DH wouldn't be with me or anything. I thought I was dying, but actually it happened because DS was in extreme distress. He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice and body once. They needed to resuscitate him when he came out. We both missed the birth of our son. Emotionally, I'm still quite messed up about it.

So yeah, pretty terrified of birth. I know the odds of it happening again are slim, but still.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt like the recovery from #1 was very difficult. I had an episiotomy and going to the bathroom was rough for weeks. With #2, I also had a small episiotomy, but the recovery just wasn't as bad. As you said, not pretty, but it was not as intense. I think when you know what to expect, especially when you expect the worse, and it isn't as hard to handle. 

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Honestly, no. 

I had an 8 hr labour with epi with my daughter, she had minor shoulder dystocia but recovery was a breeze.

I had a 1.5 hour induction with no meds with my son. Worst pain ever, but it was quick. Not a great recovery because I prolapsed, but it healed up. 

I'm planning med free again with a midwife this time. I find labour exciting.  
  • I'm pretty worried. My labour/delivery for #1 was okay so I'm worried in the sense that if the first one was ok, what are the odds my second one won't give me problems? I had a 26 hour labour, no epi, so I'm not worried about time or pain management necessarily, I'm mostly nervous about making sure I deliver a healthy baby and no life threatening issues arise for baby or myself of course. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited July 2016
    Not really, no.  My biggest labor worry is dealing with back labor again. That was the worst part for me--the rest seemed a breeze compared to that. 

ETA: honestly--I'd take a day of labor again instead of months of MS
  • chrlyrchrlyr member
    I'm not that worried. I'm going to have a repeat c/s, so it takes a lot of the suspense out of it. My experience was bad only because DS had to go to the NICU. My recovery really wasn't bad at all. This time I just want a healthy kid with no complications. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a pretty easy labour/recovery so as long as nothing different happens, that's definitely not a part I'm dreading. I did as a FTM because I heard so many horror stories, but you don't really hear (or remember) the good ones.

I'm dreading the next month (MS), as well as the last month of pregnancy.
  • I am not too worried. Labor was long and hard with DD because of her positioning, I am hoping to be able to avoid the bulk of that with chiropractics earlier on this time. 
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Not too worried. I'm planning for a repeat c-section so I should avoid back labor (that part does give me nightmares). I'd love to vbac but since I was under general anesthesia for my last (emergency) c-section I don't want to risk missing the birth of my second child.
  • Maybe not worried but not excited... My labor and delivery were both long, hard and traumatic. In the end baby K and I were just fine but it was nothing like we expected and we learned a lot about ourselves. 

• I'm a scheduled c-section and the recovery wasn't that bad last time so I'm pretty calm. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is coming home and not being able to lift my older son.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Shit, I'm terrified. I do not want to do this again. I am still traumatized from my first birth 11 months ago. I had an induction and emergency vacuum assist birth due to cord wrapped around baby's neck and a nuchal hand. She was yanked out so hard and fast, I had a bad 3rd degree tear. Instead if being excited and wanting to hold my baby, I just cried and screamed I hurt, I hurt. I had an epidural last time and will probably have one again. I have an extremely low pain tolerance :(
  • I wouldn't say I'm worried about the birth part - but I'm nervous about the epidural. With DD, my blood pressure dropped significantly - I felt like I was going to puke and pass out, they had to put me on oxygen for the rest of L&D. I do remember having significant pain after delivery though. The nurses were giving me a hard time about not attending a breastfeeding class, but I couldn't even sit in a chair. It lasted about a week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I almost hate to add...I've had therapy to process my first birth. It's too crazy long of a story to type out here, but regarding this time around, no; I'm not worried. I feel lucky to get a chance to do it again, and stick up for myself more, hopefully get to hold my baby right away, etc. I'm considering a home birth if I can get past the fear of placental abruption.

@minger86 The blood pressure drop happened to me, too, almost immediately after epidural went in. I have low blood pressure to start with, and they advised me never to get an epidural again. It's biting on bullets for me this time around!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kjd291 said:
    Not really, no.  My biggest labor worry is dealing with back labor again. That was the worst part for me--the rest seemed a breeze compared to that. 

ETA: honestly--I'd take a day of labor again instead of months of MS
    This. Labor for me was intense and exhausting and it seemed like the back labor would break me in half...but I'm not really scared. Inside I held onto the knowledge that there was an upset time limit to the pain. I'm just hoping that I don't have to be induced this time because id really like to labor at home for this baby and because the long labor was so effing tiring.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd be lying if I said I weren't nervous at all. All three of my deliveries thus far have been unmedicated, so there's the, "Oh no, I DO remember how much this hurts" anxiety, but on top of that, my #2 was also a bit traumatic with a placental abruption, he was wrapped up in his cord (twice around the neck, once around the body), came out with his arm next to his head (extra ouch), etc. A smooth delivery with #3 has helped somewhat with the anxiety, but I'm sure it won't ever completely go away. All that said, I'm still looking forward to the labor and delivery process as well, because it's amazing beyond words.  :)

I feel like it is overwhelmingly (of course not 100%, but overwhelmingly) the case that subsequent vaginal deliveries tend to be easier in terms of recovery. I was never as sore postpartum with #2 and #3.
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • I'm having a repeat C-section and not worried about it. The only thing that worries me is my DD is very needy and I'm not sure how I am going to handle a newborn and a needy toddler. My MIL will be watching DD while I am in the hospital not sure if she will be around to help when I get home. DH will be home for at least two weeks. I am more terrified thinking about when my DH will be back at work and I am stuck at home with a newborn and a toddler.
  • A little worried here. I'm having a repeat c-section after an emergency one the first time. I figure a planned one can't be worse than one after having labored for 5 hours and pushed for 3.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I'm actually excited.  I know that might sound weird but I kind of love the experience.  I had a csection with my first and a rough recovery and then a med free vbac with my second and I was up walking and feeling amazing right after.  I'm hoping for another quick birth and easy recovery.  There will always be some nerves but it's mostly just excitement for me.  
  • Yes! This will be my 4th child (7th pregnancy). With each child I've had something weird or bad about my delivery experience. My first I tore so bad and required narcotic prescriptions to deal with the pain, standing and sitting was terrible! He was sunny side up so I'm not sure if that's what did it. 

Second one they completely messed up my IV and it felt like knives in my hand. They were going to make me leave it in for an entire 24 hours and I was about to choke someone so I finally got them to take it out. I could barely move my hand for days. Also the cramping after birth in your uterus just gets worse and worse with each subsequent kid and I am so not looking forward to that!!

With my 3rd they totally messed up my epidural and I could feel a lot on one side but not the other. Also dealt with the horrible cramping post birth, especially every time I had a let down and nursed! 
  • mrsncmrsnc member
    @Luckycharm1068 Did you have bad uterine cramping after your first? It was one of my anxieties before delivery but honestly I barely noticed it after DD. 
  • I'm one of those crazies that is perhaps a little excited about it! Both my kid's L & D were completely different: induction with epi with #1 and completely natural with #2. I tore a bit with each one, but they were each separately beautiful experiences. I am planning on natural with #3.  
  • I'm pretty worried. My labour/delivery for #1 was okay so I'm worried in the sense that if the first one was ok, what are the odds my second one won't give me problems? I had a 26 hour labour, no epi, so I'm not worried about time or pain management necessarily, I'm mostly nervous about making sure I deliver a healthy baby and no life threatening issues arise for baby or myself of course. 
    This is me! I spent all 28 hours of labor thinking (or maybe I was yelling?) I can't do this!!! With my husband, doula and midwife telling - you are doing this! I feel WAY more nervous this time than I did last time.