February 2017 Moms

Probably a blighted ovum, so sad.

Hi ladies,
I'm currently should be 8 ish weeks pregnant.  I had a scan a week ago, knowing i was about 7 weeks based on my late ovulation but based on my lmp, they would think 8 weeks.  She said she could only see a sac measuring 5 weeks, 2 days.  So i said well i can't be 5 weeks pregnant so thats bad news then.  She said no, it's just too early and then i talked to her about my dates.  She said i was measuring 5 weeks fetal age, well actually she mentioned since ovulation.  I have no idea why she wouldn't measure gestational age as since i came home and googled the crap out of everything, that seems to be more standard.  So i guess 5 fetal weeks equals 7 gestational weeks but it doesn't change the fact only a gestational sac was seen.
Doctor was not there so she said she'd contact me if they thought we should draw blood but otherwise just come back in three weeks.  So i haven't heard a thing and am now 1 week into the waiting game.  I've never had a scan so early in any previous pregnancy, first was 9-10 weeks and second was 14 weeks.  Based on all my googling (i know i shouldn't) it could be good or bad news.  Some ladies don't see a thing until 9-10 weeks after being told there was nothing there.  Some do indeed have a blighted ovum.  I know you can still feel very much pregnant with the latter outcome and i do.  I've bigger boobs, bloating, tired and lower back cramps on and off.  I had those cramps with my 2 other pregnancies so that can't even be a sign telling me things aren't right.
I'm feeling so anxious and sad one minute and then positive the next depending on what i read.  The waiting is horrible.

Re: Probably a blighted ovum, so sad.

• Waiting is the worst. I hope you get news soon and all is well!!
  • I'm sorry you have to wait. We have seen it here now before where someone thought it was over but turned out ok. So try to stay stress free. I'm thinking and praying for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry the limbo is the worst.  How were you tracking Ovulation?  Maybe it was off and you actually ovulated later or you implanted late?

It's also possible she misspoke because 5 weeks since ovulation would be about 7 weeks pregnant.  Fx for good news!
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much for your replies.  My cycles had been all over the place the last few months and actually this pregnancy was a surprise but a wanted one.  We had just agreed to try for a number 3, it just came earlier than expected.  After the shock we were delighted.
    Based on my longest cycle, i would have ovulated 3 weeks into my cycle so that would place me at 7 weeks.  It's more not seeing anything other than a sac.  The waiting is torture.  I keep checking every time i use the toilet and breathing a sigh of relief but maybe i'm just kidding myself.
    I

• I'm so sorry you're dealing with the uncertainty here. Waiting is always so, so hard. You're in my thoughts & prayers, fingers crossed that everything turns out perfect for you <3
  • Thanks so much for your replies.  My cycles had been all over the place the last few months and actually this pregnancy was a surprise but a wanted one.  We had just agreed to try for a number 3, it just came earlier than expected.  After the shock we were delighted.
    Based on my longest cycle, i would have ovulated 3 weeks into my cycle so that would place me at 7 weeks.  It's more not seeing anything other than a sac.  The waiting is torture.  I keep checking every time i use the toilet and breathing a sigh of relief but maybe i'm just kidding myself.
    I
    Your regular until your not.  If you weren't temping there is every possibility you O'd later (I've O'd 4 weeks into my cycle more then once which was confirmed by temping and I know women on TTGP who have O'd even later).  Try not to stress too much, especially since you said your cycles are irregular.  Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am so sorry for the waiting game. Sending prayers your way. I hope the time will pass quickly! And my one piece of advice (which you already mentioned) is to stop googling. I know it's hard. Hugs!
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Sending you tons of positive vibes. I know the waiting is horrible ❤️
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks ladies, your all so sweet.  I tested a very very faint positive just after what would have been my missed period so it can't have been too late of an ovulation.  

• I tested positive 8 days after I ovulated which would have been a week before my period so you never know! I hope everything is ok and you can see something at the next appointment.
  • I'm so sorry you're in limbo. Keep us posted and I will keep praying for you and good news. Hugs! 
  • I'm sorry for the uncertainty.  I know exactly how you feel and I'm keeping you in my thoughts tonight! 
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • *Lurking from August 2016*

The same thing happened to me during my current pregnancy! After having had two previous miscarriages (one of which was a blighted ovum) I thought it was happening again when the ultrasound showed a 5ish week sac. I had a follow up ultrasound a week later to find a strong little flicker of a heartbeat and baby was measuring right on track with my lmp. Turns out I didn't understand how the dating worked during the horrible limbo period. Plus the ultrasound tech said sac measurements are not very accurate. I really hope you have a good outcome as well!
  • I am sorry you are in limbo, the waiting is so hard.   I hope you have a positive result!   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @2beautifulboys honestly, if you only got a faint positive after you expected your period, that's an even better case for a later ovulation than you expected.  I got my first faint BFP a full six days before my missed period.  Depending on the length of your luteal phase (which you would only know about if you were charting ovulation, so it's kind of moot now...), a person could could technically get a BFP as much as nine or ten days before missing a period.

That said, a 7-week embryo should be visible on an ultrasound, barring some unusual cases.  I'm sorry things are so inconclusive for you right now.  Will your doc do a repeat ultrasound?
  • I hope you have a positive outcome. Waiting is always hard, but stay strong if you can!
  • That's actually what happened to me this pregnancy. I went in around 5w and had an ultrasound (similar to you, I'm not sure why they did one so early this time?) where they only saw the sac. I came home crying convinced that was a bad thing. My OB called me and seemed completely unconcerned so I calmed down a bit. I went back for my first real appointment at 8w where they did yet another ultrasound and we got to see the baby and a heartbeat. Hopefully you will turn out the same! I agree though the waiting is the worst.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • It sounds like there are still many unknowns. Sending you good vibes for better news soon!
  • I'm sorry you have to wait but try to relax some (easier said than done I know). I just want to echo PPs and say it kind of sounds like you ovulated later than you thought. I had a faint positive almost a week before my missed period and on the day of my missed period the line was quite dark. So there is hope, hang in there! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Ditto on what PP said about getting a BFP early.  My first BFP was 6 days before I expected my period and it was very faint.  By the time my period was late I had a very obvious BFP.  Good Luck and try to stay positive!  I know how hard the waiting game is.
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the positive stories.  I am really hoping i ovulated later than i thought.  I hope i have the same outcome as you x

• My next scan is in 2 weeks, seems like an eternity away.  I'll try not to drive myself crazy, easier said than done and I'll try to remain positive.  I hope my little bean sticks :'(

• jab3-2jab3-2 member
    I hope the 2 weeks flies by so you can find out what's going on and I hope everything ends up being fine. 
  • VastraVastra member
    Happy thoughts for you. That wait will be hard, but we're here for you! 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • So sorry for the 2 week wait! Prayers that something odd happened with super late ovulation and your little one is just fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pulling so hard for you and your little peanut! The wait is brutal, I wish I could speed up time for you
  • Thanks guys <3 appreciate all the support.