1st Trimester
Options

very worried

Hi all! 

So this is my very first pregnancy, and we are so excited!

Here's the issue:  My OB couldn't get me in for a blood test right away, so I went to my family doctor. When I  called to give my info, they asked me when my last period started. This was May 5th, so she said 6 weeks. My cycles are at LEAST 39 days. We think we conceived May 31st, and  went in for a blood test on June 13th. They called me the next day and said I was only at 9HCG and that I wasn't pregnant. They said that if I was really six weeks, I should be over 10,000HCG. They told me I would start my period either that day or in a day or two. 

Obviously I was devastated, but  I still haven't started my period, and I've continued taking tests and they've all been positive. The clear blue tests all say positive, but only 1-2 weeks. I don't know what to think. Maybe they misunderstood the assistants notes and thought I was really 6 weeks along instead of 6 weeks since my period? 

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't get into my OB until July 11th and I'm going crazy!

Thanks in advance for any of your experiences/thoughts/advice! 
Emily

Re: very worried

• Options

Emily1151 said:
    Hi all! 

Here's the issue:  My OB couldn't get me in for a blood test right away, so I went to my family doctor. When I  called to give my info, they asked me when my last period started. This was May 5th, so she said 6 weeks. My cycles are at LEAST 39 days. We think we conceived May 31st, and  went in for a blood test on June 13th. They called me the next day and said I was only at 9HCG and that I wasn't pregnant. They said that if I was really six weeks, I should be over 10,000HCG. They told me I would start my period either that day or in a day or two. 

Obviously I was devastated, but  I still haven't started my period, and I've continued taking tests and they've all been positive. The clear blue tests all say positive, but only 1-2 weeks. I don't know what to think. Maybe they misunderstood the assistants notes and thought I was really 6 weeks along instead of 6 weeks since my period? 

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't get into my OB until July 11th and I'm going crazy!

In counting "how many weeks pregnant" you are, they count from your last period.  So "6 weeks along" is the same thing as "6 weeks since my period". 

Also, read the CB instructions.  They read the number of week since ovulation.  So the CB would show 1-2 weeks since ovulation which would translate to 3-4 weeks pregnant. 

It's actually pretty common for an OB not to see you for several weeks, so that sounds pretty normal.  Are you reading the pregnancy tests within the time frame?  An HCG of 9 wouldn't register on a pee stick. 

• Options
    joyful08joyful08 member
    edited June 2016
    bsckgb7 said:

Emily1151 said:
    Hi all! 

In counting "how many weeks pregnant" you are, they count from your last period.  So "6 weeks along" is the same thing as "6 weeks since my period". 

Also, read the CB instructions.  They read the number of week since ovulation.  So the CB would show 1-2 weeks since ovulation which would translate to 3-4 weeks pregnant. 

It's actually pretty common for an OB not to see you for several weeks, so that sounds pretty normal.  Are you reading the pregnancy tests within the time frame?  An HCG of 9 wouldn't register on a pee stick. 

This is not necessarily true. If you have longer cycles then you ovulate much later than the average 28 day cycle. Yes this is how they count how many weeks pregnant you are until your first ultrasound but just because it's been 6 weeks since your last period doesn't mean you're baby is 6 weeks along. You have longer cycles and you could have implanted late. Without temping to confirm ovulation then you really don't know how far along you are. If you keep getting positives then just wait until your OB appointment. Most women don't see a doctor until 8-10 weeks pregnant unless you are high risk. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited June 2016

I disagree.  My fertility doctor knows my conception date, and everyone goes by LMP even though they show drastically different due dates (and this seems common in the IF world).  Also, I read the OPs comment as she didn't understand how the initial counting works.  I understand they can move it early on, but an HCG of 9 doesn't make sense no matter what. 

Additionally, a 39 day cycle is only 10ish days longer than the typical 28 cycle.  Not enough to account for such drastic difference in pee sticks and blood tests (so a week different in "how far along)   

• Options
    So if my HCG doesn't make sense, does that mean I am likely to miscarry? 
    Emily

• Options
    @bsckgb7 what you're talking about is referred to as "gestational age."  Weeks pregnant is counted from the first day of LMP until a dating ultrasound is done.  It's done this way because it's often difficult to pinpoint ovulation, especially in someone who is not charting her ovulation patterns.

OP, in a 39+ day cycle, you most likely wouldn't ovulate until at least CD21 (which would have been May 26th), but it could have happened much later.  The latest date you could expect to ovulate and still have a healthy LP would have been CD29, or June 3rd.  If you were set up to have an even longer cycle, you could have ovulated much later than that.  Even so, an ovulation date of June 3rd would put you 10DPO on June 13th, and an HCG level of 9 at 10DPO would be totally normal.  

In addition, the range of "normal" HCG varies wildly.  What matters more is the doubling time.  If your HCG doubles within 48 hours, you're in good shape, no matter what the initial number is.  Your OB's office should have you come in for a repeat beta.
  • Options
    Thank you SO much, that all makes complete sense. You put my heart at ease. :) Thank you all! 
    Emily

• Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Great news!