January 2016 Moms

3 day rule

who follows this? I read a pamphlet that my dr gave me from our local government and it says that unless it is a high allergy food you do not need to wait three days. You can introduce a new food every day which I have been doing so far and haven't had any problems. I am just curious if many others still follow the 3 day rule or introduce something new everyday. 

Re: 3 day rule

• I follow it but I also have a tree nut and kiwi allergy so I know he has a higher chance of having food allergies as well. I feel like he doesn't care if he's eating the same thing for a few days it's more of us as parents wanting them to try new foods quicker. So I choose to error on the side of caution. 
  • nackienackie member
    I follow it.  We do two new foods a week for dinner.  Breakfast is oatmeal mixed with something he's already had.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has had some tummy issues with certain foods. If he has the same one for 3 days, then I know which food is causing it. And what kind of food to mix it with later to not have the same issue again. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • I follow it. I introduce a new food every 3 days for breakfast and for dinner. Since she's on stage 2 foods now there's so much more of a variety. 
  • I follow it. I introduce a new food every 3 days for breakfast and for dinner. Since she's on stage 2 foods now there's so much more of a variety. 
    What are "stage 2 foods"? 
  • @cali710 stage 2 is thicker baby food with small chunks in it. 
    We follow it but we have some food allergies in the family. I've been making LO's food and so far we haven't had any issues and he likes them all!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • cali1710 said:
    I follow it. I introduce a new food every 3 days for breakfast and for dinner. Since she's on stage 2 foods now there's so much more of a variety. 
    What are "stage 2 foods"? 
    It's a thicker purée. I use gerber stage 2 but I also use stage 1 still which is super watery. 
  • Luckily neither myself or my husband have any allergies nor do any family members so Ive been pretty confident to introduce something new everyday. But I for sure understand why you all would if there are allergies in your family or yourself. we just started a few days ago so I havent introduced anything crazy. 
  • I don't follow it, but when I introduce a common allergy food (so far eggs, dairy, and wheat) that is the only new food he'll get that day. No allergies for anyone in our families. We are doing baby led weaning so he mostly gets what we eat, which can include several different veggies or fruits at a time.
  • I follow it but probably more for my own convenience. It's easier for me just to make enough purée for 3 days worth all at once. I think I'll follow it less once LO starts eating more than purees which is very soon as we are going to start baby led weaning once we come back from being out of town this weekend 
  • teachmegs817teachmegs817 member
    edited July 2016
    I now do 48 hours. We feed him 2 meals with solids a day, so when I do introduce a new food, I will give it to him for breakfast and for his dinner, for the 2 full days.  That way, I can see if he's allergic to it as well as how it is for him to process through his body. For instance, carrots, for whatever reason, he can not poop out comfortably. I've now tried it twice, with him.  He isn't allergic, but the 2nd time we tried feeding them to him, we mixed it with prunes and it was still 2 days before he pooped and it was not comfortable for him to get it out. 

Also, you will find with Stage 2 foods, on top of consistency being a little chunkier that it often has 2-3 foods mixed together. I use Beach Nut Organic, when we do jar food. I make majority of my baby food though and now I will give him 2 cubes of food together in 1 serving. Ex. peaches with peas, or butternut squash and green beans. Most Stage 1, or "1'st foods" are just 1 ingredient.