March 2016 Moms

Large bony bump on back of skull

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I'm not a regular around here but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. My son will be 4 months old on Tuesday. Over the past few weeks I noticed a large bump, roughly the size of a pool ball in diameter, on the back of his head at the base of his skull. Feeling it, it's bone. When I gave him a bath tonight it looked more pronounced, or possibly even like it had grown. It looks like a goose egg, as if he had been hit in the head (which I know that he hasn't) but it isn't fluid filled or swollen at all, it seems to be just bone. I'm just wondering if any of your babies have the same thing or if anyone has any thoughts on this? He has his 4 month check up on Wednesday so I

Re: Large bony bump on back of skull

• Here's a pic 
  • From the pic it just looks like a normal bump on the back of the skull. Some peoples heads are bumpier than others. My own head has a larger bump in the same location, but it's covered by hair so not noticeable. Babies skulls are still taking shape at this time too.  Hopefully your pedi can shed some more light for you Wednesday. 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • kyraaDkyraaD member
    honestly it looks normal to me. 
    if you're concerned there's no harm in taking him to the doctors to get checked i guess. 
  • edited July 2016
    It looks like the superior nuchal line. There might also be a bump even more pronounced along that line called the external occipital protuberance. Hope that helps. 
  • It looks normal to me but as always, if something like that suddenly appears you should contact the dr. I don't think your baby's skull would form like that suddenly. It would over time.