September 2016 Moms

Ask a BTDT mom

Re: Ask a BTDT mom

• I've been avoiding it for at least 3 weeks, but this morning I am facing reality - my feet have grown significantly. I tried on all my work closed toe shoes this am, and came up with ONE pair that fits comfortably. :( I don't think it's swelling because it was first thing in the am and my feet do not look swollen.

Any BTDT moms have this? Did your feet go back to your normal size post pregnancy or were you permanently in a bigger size? If so, how much did they grow? I am up at least a half size right now, I would guess at 32 weeks.

• I've been avoiding it for at least 3 weeks, but this morning I am facing reality - my feet have grown significantly. I tried on all my work closed toe shoes this am, and came up with ONE pair that fits comfortably. :( I don't think it's swelling because it was first thing in the am and my feet do not look swollen.

Any BTDT moms have this? Did your feet go back to your normal size post pregnancy or were you permanently in a bigger size? If so, how much did they grow? I am up at least a half size right now, I would guess at 32 weeks.

My right foot grew...left is still a 7! Very, very annoying. The right needs like a 7 1/4. I never noticed it during pregnancy, only after.
  • Loading the player...
  • As for wipes - we wipe every time to freshen up the area, pee/poop/whatever. 
    I feel like diaper rash is more associated with sensitivity of each baby's skin and perhaps digestive system (pooping fire is going to cause a rash regardless). We have used generic wipes (currently unscented, but still have more ingredients than just water), and generic diapers and have had almost zero diaper rashes with our 1.5 year old (none that have lasted more than 24 hours due to said fire poop mentioned above). He just simply does not have sensitive skin and is not prone to diaper rashes. We significantly cut down on number of diaper changes within the first few weeks at home - he peed in every diaper the second we put it on, so started changing before each feed (every 3 hours) and each time he pooped (couple times a day for him).  Also never changed him in the middle of the night, he could sleep the whole way through with a wet diaper, waking just to eat and back down. Never caused a problem and that way he didn't get SUPER woken up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KimmySchmidtKimmySchmidt member
    edited July 2016

I've been avoiding it for at least 3 weeks, but this morning I am facing reality - my feet have grown significantly. I tried on all my work closed toe shoes this am, and came up with ONE pair that fits comfortably. :( I don't think it's swelling because it was first thing in the am and my feet do not look swollen.

I went up a full size and stayed that way. But it wasn't because my feet got longer, they just widened. I could keep most of my sneakers but had to get rid of my dress shoes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• At what point did you set up the infant car seat in your vehicle??
  • @frogdog06 DH went to the fire station tI have them set it up the day after DD was born while we were still in the hospital :) since we know how
    to set it up now, I may do it in early Sep (due Sept 30th). I don't think DH remembers how so I'll probably install it so that I don't have to remind him how
    while we are in the hospital. 
  • ashtasht member

I've been avoiding it for at least 3 weeks, but this morning I am facing reality - my feet have grown significantly. I tried on all my work closed toe shoes this am, and came up with ONE pair that fits comfortably. :( I don't think it's swelling because it was first thing in the am and my feet do not look swollen.

Yes it's common and no they didn't go back
  • @frogdog06 My husband didn't do the car seat until after baby was born - while I was in the hospital (even though I had been asking him to do it for at least a month). We're just lucky the baby was okay, because I later noticed that it sat him WAY too upright...we never did manage to make lean back far enough - I wish we'd returned it. In the end I bought a new one when I traveled to the U.S. when LO was three months old.
    TL;DR: do it early!
  • frogdog06 said:
    At what point did you set up the infant car seat in your vehicle??
    About 3 weeks before my due date.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @frogdog06 I can't remember exactly, but I think we installed and had it inspected about a month before my EDD. Since we're reusing that carseat and know how to install it this time, I'm thinking we will do it when I'm 37-38 weeks.

• I've had the base installed since April. The seat is sitting in the baby's crib. I'll probably put that in the car sometime next month. I'm due 9/13, but I have a feeling I'm going to go before then, since my first was 10 days early and I'm measuring 2wks ahead. 
  • We installed the base around 35-36 weeks. We have the Chicco Keyfit and it wasn't hard at all using the latch system. We'll probably just wait until after baby is here to install this time as we know what we're doing and I don't want to lose the backseat space yet.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I installed the bases maybe around 36 weeks and had them checked at a car dealership that was doing a pop-up car seat safety day. This time I am comfortable installing the bases so I won't have them checked. Probably install them again around 36 weeks.. I don't think I'll throw the seat into the car until we leave for the hospital, since I'm not positive which car we will take.. we also live 5 miles from the hospital, so I'm assuming someone will be back and forth in that time as needed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a BTDT, but I have a question for the other BTDT's. This is my third. Is anyone noticing that the BH are a bit out of control with their second or more? I don't think I had any with my first. With my second, maybe a handful towards the end of pregnancy before having two rounds of false labor. This time around, all the time! After a trip to L&D this past Sunday, I've been diligent about my hydrating and every night the BH start and they are so uncomfortable. It's more than just a tightening feeling. I swear this was brought up somewhere on the board, but now that I want to find it, I'm coming up with nothing in my searches. 
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @LizC216 It might've been me...this is my 2nd and I have been getting them since about 24 weeks. They are crazy. I get at least 10 a day, especially when in the car...I swear this baby is coming like 4 weeks early...they freak me out...I didn't get any with my first
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• @LizC216 I got none with my first and while I don't get a ton now, it's definitely more than none. My doctor wants me to hydrate and take it easy when they happen. Super easy with a toddler. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LizC216 I, too, have had out of control BH this pregnancy! I had contractions with DD but they didn't start until well into third tri and only became repetitive one time before the real deal (and went away on their own with rest & hydration). This time, BH started at 15 weeks and haven't let up since. My OB showed no concern since they were "occassional" (multiple every day but never more than 5 in an hour) until Thur when I had 6 in an hour, went to L&D and was already 1 cm dilated at 33 weeks. Now she's taking them more seriously but I don't even know what that means, really. I plan on asking at my next appt on Thur. I, too, am scared that this means baby is coming early. Fingers crossed for at least 4 more weeks of baking
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also a BTDT mom, but does anyone know if the infant insert for the infant carrier is necessary? The one that goes around their head? I can't find ours and I know buying after market product is not considered safe, however since LO won't be able to hold her head up for a while, I'm worried it'll flop to the side...
  • PSUBecky23PSUBecky23 member
    edited July 2016
    Shiva14 said:
    Also a BTDT mom, but does anyone know if the infant insert for the infant carrier is necessary? The one that goes around their head? I can't find ours and I know buying after market product is not considered safe, however since LO won't be able to hold her head up for a while, I'm worried it'll flop to the side...
    Check the manual. (They're generally online if you can't find yours.) I know Graco sells them separately if you call. I'm sure other companies do to. 

Also, rolled receiving blankets are OK to help support the head. Next to, not under the head. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LizC216 this is baby #3 for me as well and the BH are crazy. They started early, around 17 weeks, and haven't let up this time around. I have them multiple times a day and they can get pretty intense. 
  • Thanks mamas! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. 
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• RG1RG1 member
    Is a wet/dry bag necessary or can I just use a large ziploc bag? I figure I only need the "wet" part of it, since I would primarily be using it with our diaper bag and that would be dry...
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @LizC216 - Chiming in with the rest.. not sure if I even really had BH with my last pregnancy, but I have been having them every evening during this one for weeks now. Nothing painful, and I never feel the need to monitor/time them but they're a bit uncomfortable and interrupting my focus on my evening TV ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • RG1 said:
    Is a wet/dry bag necessary or can I just use a large ziploc bag? I figure I only need the "wet" part of it, since I would primarily be using it with our diaper bag and that would be dry...
    I think a ziplock would be fine!! You definitely want something in there, my daughter blew out EVERY poop, so I had like 6 outfits in mine at the end of the day...not typical haha
  • RG1 said:

A wet bag is not necessary but nice to have. They are not expensive and hold in the smell.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • RG1RG1 member
    @PSUBecky23 Ahh yes....the smell. I imagine it would be better than a ziploc for that

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Should waterproof items, like the mattress cover and changing pad liners, be washed and/or dried separately?? 
  • frogdog06 said:
    Should waterproof items, like the mattress cover and changing pad liners, be washed and/or dried separately?? 
    If they should be, I certainly haven't! 
  • Silly question. Changing pad liners...do they go under the cover? Or over it? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @JennM205 so then why do you need a cover? Is it for looks alone? lol i was looking at liners today in the store and had a bunch of questions
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Megan324 Just to amke sure we're referring to them the same (and avoid confusion), the cover (to me) is the piece that fits over the entire changing pad. They are often decorative but don't have to be. The liner is an oval-shaped piece of fabric with a waterproof backing that is usually plain-looking. We had two covers and probably a dozen liners. You go through the liners quickly (poorly timed pees, poop-splosions, etc). You don't have to use both I suppose...but if you forego the liners you'll need a lot more covers to avoid constant laundry (and the covers tend to be more costly so not great to have to buy a whole stash of them). If you go with liner only, it's not as "pretty". Also maybe the plastic changing pad is maybe more slippery and possibly cool on baby's head and other body parts that don't fit on the liner...?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @JennM205 gotcha! Thank you :) 

I swear it sounds like common sense but when there is so much new information I just get overwhelmed and over think. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Megan324 I didn't know either! I had the liner under the cover :( Lol. Thanks for the info @JennM205
  • You will need many many liners- we have about 20....they protect the cover and yes, they go on top  ;) otherwise, you end up changing both for every mess....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• @noelani42 holy hell I thought we were good with 5! Any brand recommendations on the liners? 
  • I put the changing pad liner under the cover. I have, like, maybe 6, and I was totally fine. I actually layer about three on at a time. Putting a liner down first, and then a cover, liner, cover, liner cover. This way you just peel off a dirty later to reveal a clean one under it. (I do the same for the crib mattress)

Yes, if there's a mess you wash two things instead of one. But it's not ugly and seems less comfortable for the baby that way and I do so much laundry that one more changing pad cover is insignificant. 

Also as the child becomes mobile it's one more thing to try to keep in place and out of her hands, where as the sheet piece is fitted. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I cannot fathom needing 20 changing pad liners unless you do laundry very rarely. Even if EVERY diaper in a 24 hour period was a blow out, you could do laundry that day (which I would reccomend if your hamper is full of blow out clothes) and only need 11- tops
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We just have two changing pad covers and no liners. We've never had a problem with it not being enough. In the very, very rare occasion that both got dirty at the same time, we have just laid a blanket on the changing pad.

• We just have two changing pad covers and no liners. We've never had a problem with it not being enough. In the very, very rare occasion that both got dirty at the same time, we have just laid a blanket on the changing pad.

Yup, same. If I know I'm dealing with a super disgusting diaper, I'll lay a receiving blanket down.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker